Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to 914's. Scored a V8 car.
ClayPerrine
post Sep 21 2018, 09:42 AM
Post #21

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Josh,
That is more than just a little rust repair. That is structural. The battery tray was under an open grill, and water got into the battery, forcing the acid out and on to the tray. And onto the frame rail and suspension console below it. You are going to need to replace the frame rails, the suspension console, the engine shelf and probably part of the firewall. That motor mount is a bit precarious too.

Your experience with the 510 is gonna come in handy on the 914. And be sure to ask questions. Lots of people here have fixed that kind of rust damage.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 21 2018, 09:45 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Is the silver has title? I think that can be save since it has a straight body based on the pictures and several out there is/are worst than that are saved or is being restored now. You have a very good skill or restored the Datsun and for sure u can also restore the silver too.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 21 2018, 09:45 AM
Post #23

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Looks like you have a lot of good stuff to start with. I think your v8 kit is an old Rod Simson kit.

Lots of info for you right here.

I love the 510. Back in the day my buddies where getting 510 new and they were very impressive.

Welcome to the world.

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 22,509
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 21 2018, 08:42 AM) *

Josh,
That is more than just a little rust repair. That is structural.

I'm not trying to downplay the rust. I've already looked over the repairs others have done and like I said I have pretty low concern after finishing the 510. Luckily the 914 has all the patch panels available. I had to make a lot of sheet metal for the 510. Hell the flares are off a VW Golf (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 09:53 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 21 2018, 08:45 AM) *

Is the silver has title? I think that can be save since it has a straight body based on the pictures and several out there is/are worst than that are saved or is being restored now. You have a very good skill or restored the Datsun and for sure u can also restore the silver too.

The silver car looks nice from the outside. Underneath the hole you see in the black car is 4 times larger in the silver and the rust runs halfway across the back of the firewall. It's a mess and will be parted out and scrapped. I'm sure someone could save it but I don't have the space to store it while I wait to find a new home for it.

The black car from what I seen the extent of the rust is pretty much contained to that hole. Shouldn't be a big deal. It just gives me something to do this winter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 21 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #26

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Lots of cleanup to do on that black one! Radiator system and lines need to be completely redone.

Chassis is pretty bad as mentioned.

Looks like you have your work cutout for you but by the pictures you posted of the 510 you have the skills and dedication to pull it off!!!

That silver one looks pretty good, how is the structure of that one?
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 10:00 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2018, 08:56 AM) *

Gone. Totally. I'll post pics Sunday when I drag them home and then you guys will understand why the black one is the better of the two (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Trust me, I wish the silver one was the better one. I would just start a fresh swap and move the V8 over.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 21 2018, 10:06 AM
Post #28

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Josh K. @ Sep 21 2018, 09:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2018, 08:56 AM) *

Gone. Totally. I'll post pics Sunday when I drag them home and then you guys will understand why the black one is the better of the two (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Trust me, I wish the silver one was the better one. I would just start a fresh swap and move the V8 over.

Gotcha. Well it sounds like you have a good headwind of energy so that will help you push through most of the bodywork.

I would pull the black one apart, start working on the rust, maybe put it on a rotiserie.

I suspect you'll put the front fenders from the silver one on the black car? or something else?
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 10:14 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2018, 09:06 AM) *

Gotcha. Well it sounds like you have a good headwind of energy so that will help you push through most of the bodywork.

I would pull the black one apart, start working on the rust, maybe put it on a rotiserie.

I suspect you'll put the front fenders from the silver one on the black car? or something else?

The plan is get it running/driving so I can see how the motor runs and make sure the tranny shifts.. Then I'll cut the motor mounts off the frame rails and mockup a new front mount setup that has more clearance and is stronger. Probably more of a tubular cross member so it adds torsional strength back into the chassis.

I'll then pull the motor and tranny and blow the car apart, brace up the door openings and start on the rust repair. Plan is either use the silver front fenders or just switch over to fiberglass Gt fenders.
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 10:16 AM
Post #30

Running/driving means literally around the block... just long enough to check the drivetrain. I might even remove the passenger door and brace it before I do the test drive.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Sep 21 2018, 10:22 AM
Post #31

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Congrats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

You got a sweet deal....If you ever come down to SoCal let me know in advance.
I can possibly gather up to 5 different 914-V8 cars for you to check out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Oscar
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 10:24 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 21 2018, 09:22 AM) *

Congrats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

You got a sweet deal....If you ever come down to SoCal let me know in advance.
I can possibly gather up to 5 different 914-V8 cars for you check out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Oscar

Thanks. I really appreciate it. It should be a fun car when it's done!!
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 11:00 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 21 2018, 08:45 AM) *

Looks like you have a lot of good stuff to start with. I think your v8 kit is an old Rod Simson kit.

The motor mount looks like Desert Hybrids one?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 21 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #34

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

They put a tail shifter on a V8?! Ugh, hope the side shifter in the other car is in good shape, swap all the parts over and be happy. Does the current V8 trans have any special gearing that you know of? If no, it will need it eventually or suck to drive at higher speeds. Cool score.
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 11:12 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 21 2018, 10:06 AM) *

They put a tail shifter on a V8?! Ugh, hope the side shifter in the other car is in good shape, swap all the parts over and be happy. Does the current V8 trans have any special gearing that you know of? If no, it will need it eventually or suck to drive at higher speeds. Cool score.

I have no idea what if anything has been done to the black cars gearbox or if it works at all. The silver car was made 11/74 so it should have a side shift? I'm ok spending the $2500 to build the tranny right once I get the car mostly done. Hopefully I got a good enough tranny to mockup and shake down the car. Either way it's no biggie. The price I paid for both cars kinda makes it easier to spend the money on a tranny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
djway
post Sep 21 2018, 02:21 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 19,266

Great score.
A V8 conversion is the reason I purchased my first 914 WAYYYYYY back when.
I still have never had one but I keep hoping.
Have a blast!
+Quote Post
1970-1914
post Sep 21 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 22,186
Region Association: Canada

Hey Josh,

I am just starting a v8 build as well a bit north of you in Abbotsford BC - across the border from Bellingham. Good to know of another car semi close by.

Pierre

This is what it looked like when I bought it - it is now 5 bolt and and I have been collecting all the parts for the swap.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Sep 21 2018, 05:35 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 20,876
Region Association: None

I'm in Bellingham and in the midst of a Chevy V8 conversion on a rust free, original paint, one owner SoCal 1976. I've done a chrome bumper and 5 lug conversion and the V8 installation. Mechanically I'm pretty much done. I've got about 200 miles of shake down in and things are close to sorted. Mostly Renegade parts. Bumpers are off being chromed and it's time for body, paint and interior.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm2.staticflickr.com-20876-1537572918.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm2.staticflickr.com-20876-1537572919.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm1.staticflickr.com-20876-1537572919.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm1.staticflickr.com-20876-1537572920.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm5.staticflickr.com-20876-1537572920.5.jpg)

I'm not experienced nor an expert. This is not only my first V8 conversion but my first 914. Josh and Piere....if I can help either of you in any way avoid some of the many mistakes I made, LMK.
+Quote Post
1970-1914
post Sep 21 2018, 05:40 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 22,186
Region Association: Canada

Dick,

Your car looks great! What cu inch motor did you end up using?

I will definitely have more questions as I get a bit deeper into it.

Pierre
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Sep 21 2018, 06:06 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 20,876
Region Association: None

Pierre,
I'm using a 305 out of an '88 Camaro. It's a roller cam motor. One piece rear main seal.
I'm using the stock trans and didn't want more than 250 HP or so. Even then I'm not keen on getting on it in 1st gear. Also, I wanted a stock body. Because of that I can't get very big tires under the car. More HP would just put the tires up in smoke quicker (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) . The TPI wouldn't fit under the bonnet so I converted it to a carb. I have a "Thumper" cam in it...primarily to give it a hot rod sounding idle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) .
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:30 AM