Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to 914's. Scored a V8 car.
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 10:03 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,509
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That's great stuff guys. I lived in Bellingham for five years and was just there today picking up my son!!!

Some good news on another front. My 510 has been chosen to be in the Tuner Exhibit at Lemay Auto Museum. It's starts in November. My car will be there until April.

I will miss her a ton but I can visit when ever I want and I'll have her back by car show/autocross season next summer. I have the 914 to cut up and fix during the winter so that helps. I should have it on the road by summer also. I'll let the wifey drive the Porsche to the shows and I'll drive the 510. I have to make the Porsche "daily drivable" per her instructions. No race car disguised as a show car!!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/510factory.com-22509-1537589134.1.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 21 2018, 10:36 PM
Post #42

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

If I could make a suggestion, ditch the carbed sbc and tail shift transmission and put a dirt cheap 4.8 LS in it and a boxster S trans.

The quality of work you put into the 510 and your willingness to put 2500 into a trans that in reality is a POS tells me you probably wouldn't be apposed to spending another 5k on what is one of the best setups in a 914 at this moment.

I've owned a carbed sbc before I did my Audi turbo. And it was a really really hard decision to not go with a LS3 or something instead of my Audi motor.

The carbed Sbc with 914 trans just never worked right no mater how many thousands I put into it and I know many other carbed V8 guys that are currently in the same boat.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Sep 21 2018, 10:41 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(morgan_harwell @ Sep 21 2018, 09:42 AM) *

>>Anyone know what front end this is?
That looks like the IMSA styled front end.

The wheels on the black car are worth more than what you paid for both cars.

Looking at the rust issues of the black 914 plus the weight & horsepower of its V8, it is probably not safe to drive it beyond the end of your driveway.

They're fakes.
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 10:43 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2018, 09:36 PM) *

If I could make a suggestion, ditch the carbed sbc and tail shift transmission and put a dirt cheap 4.8 LS in it and a boxster S trans.

The quality of work you put into the 510 and your willingness to put 2500 into a trans that in reality is a POS tells me you probably wouldn't be apposed to spending another 5k on what is one of the best setups in a 914 at this moment.

I've owned a carbed sbc before I did my Audi turbo. And it was a really really hard decision to not go with a LS3 or something instead of my Audi motor.

The carbed Sbc with 914 trans just never worked right no mater how many thousands I put into it and I know many other carbed V8 guys that are currently in the same boat.

You make very valid points. I was going to convert to EFI down the road so maybe keep the 350 and just fuel inject but save my money for a bullet proof tranny. I think for now I want to get it on the road as is and since I have a spare tranny I should be good for a while. I can tear it down in a few years and put in the LS better tranny and axles.

I'm building my dream collection and this and the 510 aren't going anywhere. The other cars I want are a Nissan S13 Coupe (I sold mine and regret it...) and a 30's Ford Roadster. That will round out my stable..
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 10:44 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 21 2018, 09:41 PM) *

They're fakes.

That's what my buddy said also.
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 10:49 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2018, 09:36 PM) *

I didn't realize how cheap the 4.8l was.. just looked them up. No sense efi'ing the 350.. a LS is half the cost (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 21 2018, 11:00 PM
Post #47

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Josh K. @ Sep 21 2018, 09:43 PM) *

You make very valid points. I was going to convert to EFI down the road so maybe keep the 350 and just fuel inject but save my money for a bullet proof tranny. I think for now I want to get it on the road as is and since I have a spare tranny I should be good for a while. I can tear it down in a few years and put in the LS better tranny and axles.

I'm building my dream collection and this and the 510 aren't going anywhere. The other cars I want are a Nissan S13 Coupe (I sold mine and regret it...) and a 30's Ford Roadster. That will round out my stable..

The minute you put money into the SBC your out in the log run...

Judging by the radiator setup your going to likely have issues. I the most I would do for your setup is new fluids, new shifter bushings, and a general tune up on the motor. Beyond that it's worth it to start piecing together the better parts you need for a killer daily of a car.

Fyi I wouldn't mess with that radiator at all. Call up Renegade Hybrids and get their 1k radiator setup shipped to you, it's worth every penny to someone starting out. Its the best out there and will future proof the car. The biggest issues people have are with the radiator setup on V8 cars.

+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 21 2018, 11:13 PM
Post #48

Great stuff!!

You're right. Tune up and Renegade Radiator setup and drive it! (After fixing the rust obviously...) An LS swap later.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Sep 22 2018, 06:13 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Welcome, and please do keep us posted.

The advice of doing the minimum to get her on the road, safely, and just driving her a bit is sage wisdom. Too easy to go crazy with the possibilities. Use her a bit then decide on the ultimate plan.

Keep us posted in any case!
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Sep 22 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 20,876

Here is the Renegade radiator kit in mine...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm5.staticflickr.com-20876-1537627982.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm5.staticflickr.com-20876-1537627982.2.jpg)

It does cool great. No overheating under any circumstances so far. The fans sound like a jet spooling up, however. Probably no way to avoid that in order to get enough air moving through. As mentioned, the kit is $1,000. I would think with your fabrication skills you could beat that cost. I can send you more pictures, dimensions, etc. if you want.

My carbed (Holley) SBC runs very good. Starts instantly cold or hot. No flat spots, stumbling, etc. Makes good power idle to red line (and beyond). For me, the cost of an EFI upgrade would not be worth it. Maybe a little better fuel mileage (but that's not what we build these cars for)...I can't imagine drivability could improve. With an unlimited budget, sure (I like to experiment). With a realistic budget (for me), I'm not tempted. I'm old enough to be able to dial in a carb pretty well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Same with a more modern V8 and trans. The SBC (with a cap on the HP) and stock trans is pretty well proven.

Love your 510! I bought one new in 1971. Sold it a few years later. I can't believe the prices they are bringing now!
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Sep 22 2018, 10:11 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

From the looks of the shorty headers it looks like it has never been run with these.
I think you should check and clean everything out with the engine and try to start it. You might be surprised. It does have some good things on it HEI,Edelbrock carb
As far as doing a lS conversion you would need almost everything new for the conversion none of the clutch parts will interchange with the SBC stuff.
You can buy a 4.8l engine for less than $600 but that just the start plan on 2 to 3k just for the adapter and clutch for a Boxster transaxle. Then plan on another $1500 to $2500
for the transaxle plus axles and other parts needed.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming. The 510 looks great I also had one back in the early 70's BRE suspension and factory race flares.
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 22 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #52

Thanks guys.

Very true the LS swap can get expensive fast. I might as well fix this one up, sell it and start over on a fresh 914. I think sticking with the 350 is the best route. I built the 510 to drive hard and race. The 914 is gonna be more of a fun weekend cruiser.

Cars will be home tomorrow so I'll have more info and pics.
+Quote Post
1970-1914
post Sep 22 2018, 11:59 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 22,186
Region Association: Canada

I have also had everyone else say “LS” over and over.... however a well thought out sbc can work really well for considerably less money. In your case (mine too) you would need a new adapter plate, flywheel, clutch, motor mount, motor etc which is not overly cheap.

I feel Even with a cheap 4.8 or 5.3 LS the added costs in my case can be better spent on the rest of the car for now.

I am going to use an early 283 mildly built to about 250hp. Mostly so the transaxle has a chance of survival for a while. I bought a very fresh set of heads with new guides,valves, seals, beehive springs and alloy keepers for $50. I will spend probably no more than $500 for the short block. I am looking at topping it off with a FITECH efi set-up. They are about $750 complete for the up to 400hp set-up which has self tuning.

Attached Image

I think this set-up will work great in the car and be probably at least half what the LS swap would cost.
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 22 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #54

So I have a spare set of Rota Grid-V's in 15x8 0 Offset and a set of 225/45/15 Toyo R1R's. Can I fit these under the GT flares front and rear? From my research the rears should have plenty of room but the fronts?

I would need to redrill the hubs to 4x114.3 but since I already have these it kinda makes sense if they fit.
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 22 2018, 12:04 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(1970-1914 @ Sep 22 2018, 10:59 AM) *

I am looking at topping it off with a FITECH efi set-up. They are about $750 complete for the up to 400hp set-up which has self tuning

That's a great price. Thanks for the heads up. $750 is a steal to not have to deal with carbs. I love being able to plug the laptop into my 510 and tune the ECU myself. Makes life so much easier.

I agree though. If starting from scratch a LS is a great idea. If you already have a SBC then it doesn't make sense to start over as I'm sure the market for used SBC conversion kits is pretty slim.
+Quote Post
1970-1914
post Sep 22 2018, 12:15 PM
Post #56

I Agree the old school sbc swap stuff are not hugely valuable parts - which is good if you need them - my adapter, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate used (but unused) was only $130. I can fabricate the rest pretty easily. Hoping to have mine all built for about $5k.

Pierre
+Quote Post
1970-1914
post Sep 22 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(Josh K. @ Sep 22 2018, 11:00 AM) *

So I have a spare set of Rota Grid-V's in 15x8 0 Offset and a set of 225/45/15 Toyo R1R's. Can I fit these under the GT flares front and rear? From my research the rears should have plenty of room but the fronts?

I would need to redrill the hubs to 4x114.3 but since I already have these it kinda makes sense if they fit.

The tire size will fit front and rear no problem with flares - offset not sure about- the fronts of these cars can swallow some pretty big tires with the right offset.
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 28 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #58

So both cars are home.

For everyone that wonders why the silver one isn't the best, here's the rust extending across the back of the firewall.. The black on doesn't have this.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/510factory.com-22509-1538178105.1.jpg)

Here's the black car. Not sure how there's no hole underneath the battery tray yet rust under the car in this same area. It's easily fixable though.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/510factory.com-22509-1538178106.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/510factory.com-22509-1538178106.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/510factory.com-22509-1538178107.4.jpg)

And now... how could the water pump belt ever work? Looks like they notched the shifter tube... How is this supposed to be routed? Only works with sideshift?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/510factory.com-22509-1538178107.5.jpg)
+Quote Post
Josh K.
post Sep 28 2018, 06:17 PM
Post #59

Some more rusty pics of the silver car...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/510factory.com-22509-1538180244.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/510factory.com-22509-1538180245.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/510factory.com-22509-1538180245.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
djway
post Sep 28 2018, 08:34 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

When I bought this car it was in a very tight place so it was difficult to locate much rust, until I got it home.
This is just an idea of how far it went.
But she is all back together now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Attached Image
It can be done.
Have fun
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:52 AM