Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Easy Voltage readings, Plug into cigarette lighter
tmc914
post Sep 23 2018, 05:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,452
Region Association: North East States

Here is a product found on Amazon that I just bought recently. It helped almost instantly. It gives you voltage readings and had a green light to indicate if all is okay. Starts blinking if voltage falls to low. Also has usb charger built into it for charging phones or maybe a GPS unit.

Installed this until I have time to install a "real" voltage gauge. Found voltage dropped way to much when I turned on fresh air fan (dropped to 10.1 volts). Yes, there is a problem with the fan wiring, have another post looking how to solve it on the board. Thought I smelled something burning. Turned off fan and voltage went right back up to 13.8 volts. The blinking light caught my eye right away. Might be even better that a voltage gauge. Only $12.99 plus tax. Don't normally stump for products but I think it was a post on this website that got me going in that direction a few weeks ago.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Sep 23 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Slick!

My stock gauge was showing about 10.5V. Had me a bit worried on my last drive. Not driving as much as I used to. Trying to keep the miles down. Everything seemed to be working fine. All lights at good levels. Got home and put a meter on the battery while engine at idle. 13.9V, so my gauge is off.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 23 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #3

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 23 2018, 07:41 PM) *

Slick!

My stock gauge was showing about 10.5V. Had me a bit worried on my last drive. Not driving as much as I used to. Trying to keep the miles down. Everything seemed to be working fine. All lights at good levels. Got home and put a meter on the battery while engine at idle. 13.9V, so my gauge is off.

More likely you have resistance in the wires due to a bad ground somewhere and its showing less voltage. I don't think there is much calibration to do in a voltmeter.

Zach
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 24 2018, 08:54 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

It's a neat setup, but don't evaluate the performance of your electrical system. As Zach mentioned, the condition and size of the wires where your reading have a large effect on the number. While your cigarette lighter outlet might be reading 10.1, the reading at the battery is probably quite a bit higher. The reading at the fuse panel where the big red wires come in will also read higher.

The best volt gauge setup would use a 16g wire directly from the battery (or from the large red wire at the fuse panel), run through a relay (so you're not draining the battery 24/7). The more direct and isolated your volt gauge is, the more accurate it is.

It is a cool setup thought to have two charges and a readout. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:32 PM