Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turbo Tie Rods, Need help with install . . .
Marlow
post Jun 16 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,027

I bought a turbo tie rod kit off of ebay (before I knew there were quality differences) and with my current finances I'm stuck with the cheap ones (still made in Germany though). I've read every post about the complaints (cheap boots & nylon lock nut) so I swapped the grease boots off the old ones and drilled the tie rod end threads to accept the castellated nuts and cotter pins.

The old ones came out easily, in fact my loose front end was because one of the threaded ends that goes into the end of the steering rack rod was actually loose.

Here's my dilemna: everyone suggested making the new tie rods exactly as long as the old tie rods to make alignment much easier. Except with the large washers they are too long, the tie rod doesn't thread far enough into the end. I temporarily mocked everything up (car is still in the air but wheels are on) and my toe is 1/2" difference front to back (toe-in).

I'm thinking my options are;

1) cut about 1/4" off each tie rod threaded section so the ends will screw in farther
2) leave the large washers off and this will give me the extra 1/4" (how critical are they as "rack stops")

I wish I could just resell these and buy the Lemferder's but I don't have the time or money. What do you guys think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 16 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (porsche914blue @ Jun 16 2005, 09:29 PM)
2) leave the large washers off and this will give me the extra 1/4" (how critical are they as "rack stops")

they're not rack stops, they're spacers.
some cars need them; evidently, yours doesn't.
+Quote Post
Marlow
post Jun 16 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Thanks, then I will leave the spacers out. That should give me the 1/2" I need (I hope).

It was mentioned in other threads that the spacers were needed to prevent the rack from overextending during lock to lock turning. I guess this isn't so? My tires rub the inner fender well when I go lock to lock anyway (205/60's).
+Quote Post
Marlow
post Jun 16 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #4

Another question, I have tons of "blue" loctite but no "red". Would blue loctite be sufficient for the threads into the steering rack or should I hold off until I can buy some red ?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 16 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #5

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (porsche914blue @ Jun 16 2005, 09:52 PM)
Another question, I have tons of "blue" loctite but no "red". Would blue loctite be sufficient for the threads into the steering rack or should I hold off until I can buy some red ?

judgement call.

it'd be REAL BAD if it unscrewed.
but that can only happen if at least one of the other locknuts is also loose.

i am certainly not going to recommend that you disregard installation instructions or technical articles, which were written for a reason. red LocTite can be VERY hard to loosen, and i don't think we think these are lifetime parts. i have been thinking about this, and i still don't know what i'll do on my own car.

if i were a shop, i'd absolutely be using something that'd NEVER come loose so you (or your heirs and assigns) would come complain about it later. if i were a shop, i'd also be charging by the hour when it came time to loosen them :-)

so - blue - i donno about that one. green's in the middle...
+Quote Post
Marlow
post Jun 16 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #6

red LocTite can be VERY hard to loosen, and i don't think we think these are lifetime parts

Good point. I'm going to use "blue" and keep an eye on them from time to time. Thanks for the advice!! And you're right, they could only back out if the locknut comes loose.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2024 - 07:06 PM