Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Gas tank and fuel line questions, I pulled and cleaned my tank!
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 24 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have a VERY clean tank in my 72 2.0 now!

Ok... after 5 years of sitting 1/2 full of fuel in the humidity of East Texas I had some issues... here is what I did. first I pulled the tank drained it completely and washed it. To get it clean I dumped about 5 gallons of boiling water and Cascade dishwasher soap in it and sloshed it around. this did a FANTASTIC job of washing ut all the fuel residue and sludge from the bottom. Then I noticed there was rust in the bottom of the tank mostly right at the fuel return and pickup. It was gross, but I tapped on it with a small piece of rebar to knock off the loose stuff then filled the talk with about a gallon of Evapo-Rust. Let me tell you this stuff was FANTASTIC!. for a couple days I kept blocking and rotating the empty tank and treated all the rust. The tank is now a shiny silver grey with a touch of black where the worst rust was. Then I fogged the interior of the tank with SeaFoam to keep it from rusting. The aerosol kind you shoot down throttle bodies was awesome here.

The tank is now rust free, sanded and painted as are the expansion tank and charcoal filter. Everything looks clean and pretty. BUT I had to cut some fuel lines to get the tank out...

First is it possible to put it back in wrong? I don't think it is because there are two different sized hoses.

Second what size hose the local parts stores seem to have inch sizes what is the metric and standard conversion? It's all new in the engine compartment, but this hose was 40 years old so I figure I should get'r done.

How much of each should I buy?

There is a little Y shaped thingy down below I can not tell what it was hooked up to?

My pump and filter are near the steering rack now if that helps answer any of these questions.

Do I need to replace the TINY hose that goes up by the gas cap? What do I use here and what size is it?

I have plastic fuel lines in the longs. Can I or should I pull and replace these with rubber fuel line?

Finally... I have a new battery in and am about to have fresh fuel... is there anything besides clean oil I should be looking at before I fire it up? everything seems to work when you turn the key. It turns over strong, lights, radio etc seem to work, and brakes work.

I'd like to take it for a few laps around the neighborhood tonight if I manage to get it started.

If anyone has a diagram of how these fuel lines go that would be a BIG help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
bmtrnavsky   Gas tank and fuel line questions   Sep 24 2018, 02:37 PM
bmtrnavsky   Bump...   Sep 25 2018, 05:42 AM
cuddy_k   Fuel hoses are 8mm (return) and 9.5mm (supply). De...   Sep 25 2018, 06:40 AM
JawjaPorsche   Contact Chris at Tangerine Racing. He can help yo...   Sep 25 2018, 06:41 AM
bmtrnavsky   All of the local auto parts stores only sell fuel ...   Sep 25 2018, 08:06 AM
cuddy_k   google is your friend ;). 8mm = 5/16. 9.5=3/8 No...   Sep 25 2018, 08:14 AM
ChrisFoley   If you specify FI hose at your FLAPS it should be ...   Sep 25 2018, 08:21 AM
bmtrnavsky   If you specify FI hose at your FLAPS it should be...   Sep 25 2018, 09:01 AM
VaccaRabite   While you have the tank out and clean... Consider...   Sep 25 2018, 09:13 AM
bmtrnavsky   Ok... another related question. All of the engine ...   Sep 27 2018, 07:28 AM
cuddy_k   For me, if I had any question about their integrit...   Sep 27 2018, 09:50 AM
raynekat   My local auto parts store carries Gates "Barr...   Sep 27 2018, 10:45 AM
cuddy_k   I'd definitely get more than 3ft. :agree: ...   Sep 27 2018, 05:50 PM
bmtrnavsky   Thanks! I'll just replace it all. :)   Sep 27 2018, 04:41 PM
Amphicar770   Biggest PIA was getting tank back in without kinki...   Sep 27 2018, 05:49 PM
jcd914   Your signature says your car is a 72. If your ori...   Sep 27 2018, 06:23 PM
VaccaRabite   One of the things I did to prevent kinking was to ...   Sep 30 2018, 07:56 AM
VaccaRabite   If you have a 3 port pump, your life will be MUCH ...   Sep 30 2018, 08:00 AM
bmtrnavsky   If you have a 3 port pump, your life will be MUCH...   Oct 1 2018, 11:44 AM
cuddy_k   congrats! If you trim the under-tank hoses to ...   Oct 1 2018, 10:42 PM
bmtrnavsky   Thanks!   Oct 2 2018, 09:18 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:03 AM