Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: 71 914 1.7 Gemini Blue, $6,500
ndfrigi
post Sep 28 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Selling my friend’s (member here) 71 1.7 Gemini Blue (L96E) 1.7 single carb.

Previous owner installed a megasquirt on a 1.7 engine (not original engine for this car) until my friend have to rebuilt the engine (German Auto) last year. We tried installing back the megasquirt but the original program of the megasquirt was erased. Currently, it has new single carb and runs well (maybe some more adjustment needed since this car was not really being driven by my friend because he has another 74 with 2056 engine.

Done to the car since 2014.
1. Rebuilt 1.7 engine by German Auto (see attached receipt)
2. Replaced the passenger side suspension console with new piece from Restoration Design.
3. Replaced original tunnel fuel lines to SS fuel lines (2 lines since it supposed to run megasquirt) and engine bay SS fuel line. SS fuel return line was temporarily plugged since it has a single carb now.
4. New cockpit floor carpet.
5. Wrapped steering wheel
6. Passenger seat cushion re-upholstered from 914rubber seat upholstery kit. Other new upholstery kit included on the sale.

Status of the car from previous owner before 2014 purchased. This car has front 911 style sway bar. Suspension is solid and better handling on the road.
Front 916 style fiberglass bumper
Transmission converted from tail shift to side shift already.
Pedrini wheels with 205x65 tires
Rear cockpit floor was replace with new metal.

Please watch 3 youtube videos attached (cold start after 2 weeks seating, engine sound and a quick drive.

The car is a running car and can be driven anywhere as-is. Yes a project car or DIY project for the new owner while enjoying driving it.
External paint is okay for a 15 ft distance. Passenger side mirror has no glass now. May need alignment since rear passenger suspension was replace. But seems straight and drives well.

Update: Alignment done Oct. 09 by Precision Alignment in Downey.
Last week fuel regulator replaced.

Price $6,500

thank you!

Noel

cold start after 2 weeks seating
https://youtu.be/rJb2y45PYMk

engine sound
https://youtu.be/OaDDx89fdPw

quick drive
https://youtu.be/LygLAyS037k

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 28 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 28 2018, 03:41 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Noel,

This looks like a great start for someone trying to get into the game and get some hands on relationship with their new ride at the same time.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 28 2018, 04:29 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 28 2018, 02:41 PM) *

Noel,

This looks like a great start for someone trying to get into the game and get some hands on relationship with their new ride at the same time.

yes sir! I would want to buy it back but not on my budget.
Thank you sir!
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post Sep 28 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Pancho Pantera

Member No.: 12,456
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey Everyone,
Full disclosure, this is my old 71 and I am not the original owner.

I purchased it from Arizona. Had to replace the trans twice with good used and also the engine. The original Fuel injection started acting up after a self proclaimed expert tinkered with it when I had it tuned. I replaced with Megasquirt and it ran good for about a year, I was just about to upgrade some of the Megasquirt sensors and controls with more solid state ones when the Passenger Rear Suspension Console sheared while backing out of the driveway.
I sold it to someone who fixed the console but not using a jig to align it while installing the new console and also done by a backyard mechanic.
The guy I sold it to wanted me to provide him with the Megasquirt Software and License so he could tune the car but I no longer had it so I don't know what happened after that.

Someone contacted me a while back calling himself Bob, asking about misfiring issues with the engine or something to that nature and said it was carbed.

I did have the floor pan replaced but it looks like there might be new rust where there shouldn't be any. I also was meaning to have the jack-points replaced as they did have some penetration due to rust.

I personally thought it would be used for spare parts by now and if I were going to buy a 914 again, I'd want to know about that suspension console. Not something you want to find out about at speed during an AutoX,

If I were "nditiz1" I'd part it out and sell clips and panels.

Sorry if I killed your Ad but that console is not something you fix by lining up strings or by eyeballing it.

It did always sit nice and low and ride well.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 28 2018, 05:12 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Oh wow that's the honest kind of information that brings a shadow to the light.

I agree if the console was not done correctly the first time it needs to be readdressed.
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Sep 28 2018, 06:27 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,057

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Sep 28 2018, 03:53 PM) *

Hey Everyone,

I purchased it from Arizona. Had to replace the trans twice with good used and also the engine. The original Fuel injection started acting up after a self proclaimed expert tinkered with it when I had it tuned. I replaced with Megasquirt and it ran good for about a year, I was just about to upgrade some of the Megasquirt sensors and controls with more solid state ones when the Passenger Rear Suspension Console sheared while backing out of the driveway.
I sold it to someone who fixed the console but not using a jig to align it while installing the new console and also done by a backyard mechanic.
The guy I sold it to wanted me to provide him with the Megasquirt Software and License so he could tune the car but I no longer had it so I don't know what happened after that.

Someone contacted me a while back calling himself Bob, asking about misfiring issues with the engine or something to that nature and said it was carbed.

I did have the floor pan replaced but it looks like there might be new rust where there shouldn't be any. I also was meaning to have the jack-points replaced as they did have some penetration due to rust.

I personally thought it would be used for spare parts by now and if I were going to buy a 914 again, I'd want to know about that suspension console. Not something you want to find out about at speed during an AutoX,

Sorry if I killed your Ad but that console is not something you fix by lining up strings or by eyeballing it.

Dear Falconfp. Why are you putting negative information on someones sale when you don't really know anything about what has been done to the car and by whom? Was it you that replaced the floor pan because that would explain why you shouldn't comment on how to replace the suspension console.

When replacing a rear inner suspension console, one needs to replace the console to a sound frame and, in doing so, making sure that the center of the hole of the new console is located in the right spot. The old console was deteriorated and partly sheared, but a new console can be put in the right location using either a jig or measurements. The new console was installed exactly where the old one had been welded to the frame and the hole was not only aligned with the left side, but was measured to ensure that it was in the correct location three dimensionally. The available adjustment at the outer trailing arm bracket provides adequate range of adjustment to allow precise alignment of this car. Have you ever done this type of work? I have more faith in that console than the cars I autocross since they still have original 50 year old consoles and that one is new and properly welded.

Perhaps you might retract your negative comments about the work performed on this car after you sold it, especially because you know very little about what was done. Have you actually inspected this car lately? I know both the owner and Noel and they are two of the nicest and honest 914 owners that I know. Do you think that they are trying to hide anything about the condition of this car? This car is an excellent value with some items that still need attention, but it sure runs and looks better than a whole lot of projects. Do the pictures look like a car that should be parted, really? I saw the inside of the longitudinal, the hellhole area, and the jackpoint and this one is actually in darn good shape. It is way better than most of what is being restored, especially from the rust belt. I know that Noel took pictures of the inside of the longitudinal at the hellhole, jackpoint, and console.

Falconfp, You indicate that you paid someone to get the floorpan replaced. Apparently a simple pan replacement is not your forte, let alone a suspension console. Did you even inspect the work you paid to have done? The replacement pan was not trimmed and located properly and therefore could not be welded across the firewall. It needs to be redone as the seller Noel and Bob will likely show any interested party. Whoever did your repair is the one needing to learn some skills. The expanding spray foam inside the inner firewall was a nice touch. Please refrain from giving your opinion on this sale as you're way out of your league.
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Sep 28 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #8

Oh, and by the way, this car should be worth $9-10K based on what others are advertised and selling for. Just look at the pictures... Really look at the longitudinals, jack points, and hardly any surface rust. Look at the interior! This car goes a long ways toward those $12-18K 914s on Los Angeles Craigslist. Complete, driving, yes, a few project items...
+Quote Post
rasam
post Sep 28 2018, 06:38 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,508

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Sep 28 2018, 05:27 PM) *

Hey Everyone,

Dear Falconfp. Why are you putting negative information on someones sale when you don't really know anything about what has been done to the car and by whom? Was it you that replaced the floor pan because that would explain why you shouldn't comment on how to replace the suspension console.

When replacing a rear inner suspension console, one needs to replace the console to a sound frame and, in doing so, making sure that the center of the hole of the new console is located in the right spot. The old console was deteriorated and partly sheared, but a new console can be put in the right location using either a jig or measurements. The new console was installed exactly where the old one had been welded to the frame and the hole was not only aligned with the left side, but was measured to ensure that it was in the correct location three dimensionally. The available adjustment at the outer trailing arm bracket provides adequate range of adjustment to allow precise alignment of this car. Have you ever done this type of work? I have more faith in that console than the cars I autocross since they still have original 50 year old consoles and that one is new and properly welded.

Perhaps you might retract your negative comments about the work performed on this car after you sold it, especially because you know very little about what was done. Have you actually inspected this car lately? I know both the owner and Noel and they are two of the nicest and honest 914 owners that I know. Do you think that they are trying to hide anything about the condition of this car? This car is an excellent value with some items that still need attention, but it sure runs and looks better than a whole lot of projects. Do the pictures look like a car that should be parted, really? I saw the inside of the longitudinal, the hellhole area, and the jackpoint and this one is actually in darn good shape. It is way better than most of what is being restored, especially from the rust belt. I know that Noel took pictures of the inside of the longitudinal at the hellhole, jackpoint, and console.

Falconfp, You indicate that you paid someone to get the floorpan replaced. Apparently a simple pan replacement is not your forte, let alone a suspension console. Did you even inspect the work you paid to have done? The replacement pan was not trimmed and located properly and therefore could not be welded across the firewall. It needs to be redone as the seller Noel and Bob will likely show any interested party. Whoever did your repair is the one needing to learn some skills. The expanding spray foam inside the inner firewall was a nice touch. Please refrain from giving your opinion on this sale as you're way out of your league.

Here, Here
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 2 2018, 10:54 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Still available and check the car personally or have someone do the ppi to see how this car really is.
Thanks again sir Mark S for your support!

+Quote Post
rasam
post Oct 2 2018, 04:03 PM
Post #11

Hello World, I just want to say that I'm the owner of the car above. Noel was kind enough to help me post it. I wasn't too pleased with the comments by "falconfp2001", he has no idea the amount of work and money went into this car to get it to this point, since falconfp2001 had it. His post was first of all against the forum rules and second unsubstantiated. So the title of his post should have been "fool disclosure". I really like this car but decided to sell it to focus on my 74 2056. This car needs a few more things to make it really nice. I welcome any questions or inquiries.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 2 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #12

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Looks like a nice driving car. Regardless of the consul, for the price you could look at having it redone if for some reason it wasn't up to par (which I suspect may not be an issue). Very fair price for a driver with a fresh engine.
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post Oct 2 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #13

Pancho Pantera

Member No.: 12,456
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Sep 28 2018, 04:27 PM) *

Hey Everyone,

I was not going to reply to these remarks but I did not make any false statements and only provided information that I would want to know myself but which is rarely provided in private party sales of used vehicles.
I loved my 914 and I wish I could have kept it. In that regard I respect the community and also recognize that no matter how I feel about the community and no matter how I feel about the members here that I respect, some people are salesman and some are just potential buyers.
The guy who sold me this car did not tell me the transmission leaked oil from the speed cable angle drive. It was a real easy simple fix with an o ring that could have saved me a seized transmission if only he told me. I already knew enough about 914s that this would not have changed the price. or caused me any distress but he kept it from me. I purchased this car for a little under 3K. I don't regret any of the money I spent afterwards. Not one penny and I am looking for another 914.
The suspension console repair was documented with pictures on this site and I spoke with Noel about the importance of using a jig to properly align the repair. He opted not to use a jig. Not my problem anymore but if I know that there is information missing from a post and there is a potential buyer out there looking at this and thinking, "Hey that is the perfect vehicle" well it might not be perfect if you know the full story. So F you marksteinhilber and how dare you make this about negativity. I have no dog in this race and nothing to gain from being honest. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and you have no affiliation with the seller or the owner. Maybe you do care about providing an honest accounting of the history of this vehicle so that the potential buyer will know about possible future failures. Not my problem and sorry I happened to provide some honest insight.
You take care and god bless.
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Oct 3 2018, 12:04 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Oct 2 2018, 09:33 PM) *

Hey Everyone,

I was not going to reply to these remarks but I did not make any false statements and only provided information that I would want to know myself but which is rarely provided in private party sales of used vehicles.
I loved my 914 and I wish I could have kept it. In that regard I respect the community and also recognize that no matter how I feel about the community and no matter how I feel about the members here that I respect, some people are salesman and some are just potential buyers.
The guy who sold me this car did not tell me the transmission leaked oil from the speed cable angle drive. It was a real easy simple fix with an o ring that could have saved me a seized transmission if only he told me. I already knew enough about 914s that this would not have changed the price. or caused me any distress but he kept it from me. I purchased this car for a little under 3K. I don't regret any of the money I spent afterwards. Not one penny and I am looking for another 914.
The suspension console repair was documented with pictures on this site and I spoke with Noel about the importance of using a jig to properly align the repair. He opted not to use a jig. Not my problem anymore but if I know that there is information missing from a post and there is a potential buyer out there looking at this and thinking, "Hey that is the perfect vehicle" well it might not be perfect if you know the full story. So F you marksteinhilber and how dare you make this about negativity. I have no dog in this race and nothing to gain from being honest. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and you have no affiliation with the seller or the owner. Maybe you do care about providing an honest accounting of the history of this vehicle so that the potential buyer will know about possible future failures. Not my problem and sorry I happened to provide some honest insight.

Dear falconfp. I considered buying your 71 when you put it on CL with the torn console, but Noel beat me to it. I was looking for a good project car. I later learned that Noel had bought the car and needed a new console welded on and was willing to trade. It was me, with Noel’s help, that took the torn console off your old car and then welded on the brand Restoration Design part. I am a Mechanical Engineer, and have been a safety and welding inspector for ships, boilers , and pressure vessels. I have qualified welders and approved weld designs for giant supertankers. On that repair I used an Eastwood MiG 135 welder using .025 wire spool fed using an argon CO2 mix flowing at 15cfm. All weld prep was done by grinding to shiny metal to prepare a v notch for the single root pass. Cover passes were made after wire brushing off slag and contaminants for welds where greater steel thickness required positive weld crown . Noel did some final welding of some cover plates. Exactly the repair I would make to my own car with no concern for aggressive cornering or autocross.

I don’t know you and hold no grudges. We all make mistakes. It would have been ok to say you sold the car needing the console repair and that prospective buyers should ask questions, inspect and measure. In the future please don’t cast shade on someone else’s sale when you don’t know the details or don’t have expertise. You showed that you don’t know how to weld when you didn’t fix the console and you let someone else install the floor pan in the wrong spot without the needed trimming, didn’t even notice the error, or the expanding foam bulging out of the void. Did you tell Noel your buyer. No, had I bought the car, that would have been fixed too.

There was no need to f-bombi me, I was simply stating facts that you were unaware of and apparently didn’t think were possible. I believe anyone with common sense reading this can see that I was trying to correct your negative assessment of the car and the repair. Have a nice day.

This is a good car at a great price, but has some possible projects including the floorpan issue. Certainly a complete running car with nice interior. Now has a working gearbox. Worth more than $6500 for good running engine, trans, wheels, and interior. Might sell quick at G&R swap! Maybe Bob will drive it there?

I
+Quote Post
rasam
post Oct 3 2018, 12:19 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Oct 2 2018, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Oct 2 2018, 09:33 PM) *

Hey Everyone,

Dear falconfp. I considered buying your 71 when you put it on CL with the torn console, but Noel beat me to it. I was looking for a good project car. I later learned that Noel had bought the car and needed a new console welded on and was willing to trade. It was me, with Noel’s help, that took the torn console off your old car and then welded on the brand Restoration Design part. I am a Mechanical Engineer, and have been a safety and welding inspector for ships, boilers , and pressure vessels. I have qualified welders and approved weld designs for giant supertankers. On that repair I used an Eastwood MiG 135 welder using .025 wire spool fed using an argon CO2 mix flowing at 15cfm. All weld prep was done by grinding to shiny metal to prepare a v notch for the single root pass. Cover passes were made after wire brushing off slag and contaminants for welds where greater steel thickness required positive weld crown . Noel did some final welding of some cover plates. Exactly the repair I would make to my own car with no concern for aggressive cornering or autocross.

I don’t know you and hold no grudges. We all make mistakes. It would have been ok to say you sold the car needing the console repair and that prospective buyers should ask questions, inspect and measure. In the future please don’t cast shade on someone else’s sale when you don’t know the details or don’t have expertise. You showed that you don’t know how to weld when you didn’t fix the console and you let someone else install the floor pan in the wrong spot without the needed trimming, didn’t even notice the error, or the expanding foam bulging out of the void. Did you tell Noel your buyer. No, had I bought the car, that would have been fixed too.

There was no need to f-bombi me, I was simply stating facts that you were unaware of and apparently didn’t think were possible. I believe anyone with common sense reading this can see that I was trying to correct your negative assessment of the car and the repair. Have a nice day.

This is a good car at a great price, but has some possible projects including the floorpan issue. Certainly a complete running car with nice interior. Now has a working gearbox. Worth more than $6500 for good running engine, trans, wheels, and interior. Might sell quick at G&R swap! Maybe Bob will drive it there?

I

Thanks Mark for the clarification and support, that should set the record straight.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 3 2018, 08:58 AM
Post #16

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Guess we are the point we need some cleanup on this posting. The OP's ad is kind of getting lost in the side discussions
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 3 2018, 09:21 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 3 2018, 07:58 AM) *

Guess we are the point we need some cleanup on this posting. The OP's ad is kind of getting lost in the side discussions

Good morning sir Bill! It’s me Noel who bought your PMB 5 lug conversion I installed to my 75 1.8.
Hope things will clear up here and my friend Bro. Bob will able to sell his 71. Like what mentioned above, he still has his 74 white 2056 that cost him a lot that he will just keep. Sir Mark (a buddy/friend) has been very nice to support and say about the car since he is the one who started helping me fix the 71 console. Lots of work, time and hardwork replacing that suspension console. If I just have the means, I really wanted to buy it back since I know how nice is the car. Not perfect but a lot better with some of my previous 914s ( 7 914s since I started last 2011) or with other member’s project.

Thank you!
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 9 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

update: Alignment done today.
+Quote Post
liebe
post Nov 4 2018, 07:59 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 14,357
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 28 2018, 10:24 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Sent PM

thanks
+Quote Post
rasam
post Jul 6 2019, 09:31 PM
Post #20

Sold
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:06 AM