Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jetting Webers on 2.7 911 engine., Tuning.
914Toy
post Oct 12 2018, 08:49 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(72hardtop @ Oct 11 2018, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ Oct 11 2018, 11:43 AM) *

After further research and inspection of the carbs, it seems logical to me, as suggested by some on PP, that the idle air jets are too small, as there is almost no change in A/F's when reducing the idle jets from 60's to 55's, which is actually a significant reduction in jet cross sectional area, about 14%. Thus I am considering drilling these air jets out a little as some others have done. The air jet holes are close to 1.3mm in diameter. What increase in diameter does anyone suggest?

I'm against reaming jets. No matter how careful one is it never seems to work out well in the end.

Your idle jet meters A/F during the progression phase. The mixture screws only adjust the A/F mixture when idling. No other time.

Bigger air corrector brings mains in sooner smaller delays the mains. Best to pull the whole stack and drive with only the idle jets. You'll know exactly when it fall on it's face. Be conservative with the accel pump adjustment during this time.

After further thought and discussion with Paul, I will not drill these air jets. I have now checked the accelerator pumps which are working well, and will acquire a set of "hatchet" cams for the acceleration pumps in an attempt to eliminate the small occasional acceleration hesitation. If that does not eliminate this issue, I will replace the 55' with 60's idle jets.

Thanks for all suggestions made.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
72hardtop
post Oct 12 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 16,378
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(914Toy @ Oct 12 2018, 07:49 AM) *

After further research and inspection of the carbs, it seems logical to me, as suggested by some on PP, that the idle air jets are too small, as there is almost no change in A/F's when reducing the idle jets from 60's to 55's, which is actually a significant reduction in jet cross sectional area, about 14%. Thus I am considering drilling these air jets out a little as some others have done. The air jet holes are close to 1.3mm in diameter. What increase in diameter does anyone suggest?

I'm against reaming jets. No matter how careful one is it never seems to work out well in the end.

Your idle jet meters A/F during the progression phase. The mixture screws only adjust the A/F mixture when idling. No other time.

Bigger air corrector brings mains in sooner smaller delays the mains. Best to pull the whole stack and drive with only the idle jets. You'll know exactly when it fall on it's face. Be conservative with the accel pump adjustment during this time.

After further thought and discussion with Paul, I will not drill these air jets. I have now checked the accelerator pumps which are working well, and will acquire a set of "hatchet" cams for the acceleration pumps in an attempt to eliminate the small occasional acceleration hesitation. If that does not eliminate this issue, I will replace the 55' with 60's idle jets.

Down on the idle jets. After LBI you should be ~14:1 AFR

One can be really rich with a 40 idle jet or really lean with a 60. It's all in the AFR screw adjustment. Remember the A/F mixture screw will ONLY adjust the mix for idle speed setting. Nothing else.

Your progression phase is dictated via the idle jet size which is already pre-mixed via the air coming from the air bleed port/s.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Oct 13 2018, 08:31 AM
Post #43

QUOTE(72hardtop @ Oct 12 2018, 09:32 PM) *

One can be really rich with a 40 idle jet or really lean with a 60. It's all in the AFR screw adjustment. Remember the A/F mixture screw will ONLY adjust the mix for idle speed setting. Nothing else.

Your progression phase is dictated via the idle jet size which is already pre-mixed via the air coming from the air bleed port/s.

Issue is with 55's and mixture screws turned out 1/2 turn, I have smooth best idle speed at 800 rpm, but A/f's of 10.5. Checked throttle plates at this idle are above the idle port and below the transition ports - where they should be. I am suspicious of the absolute accuracy of the A/F meter, which is consistent but may not be factory calibrated correctly.
+Quote Post
72hardtop
post Oct 13 2018, 08:54 AM
Post #44

QUOTE(914Toy @ Oct 13 2018, 07:31 AM) *

Issue is with 55's and mixture screws turned out 1/2 turn, I have smooth best idle speed at 800 rpm, but A/f's of 10.5. Checked throttle plates at this idle are above the idle port and below the transition ports - where they should be. I am suspicious of the absolute accuracy of the A/F meter, which is consistent but may not be factory calibrated correctly.

A larger idle will require less turns out from lightly seated position. Go down on the idle jet size to 50 and start with the screws 2 turns from lightly seated position. Then LBI each screw.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Oct 13 2018, 11:26 AM
Post #45

QUOTE(72hardtop @ Oct 13 2018, 07:54 AM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ Oct 13 2018, 07:31 AM) *

Yes, I have considered and will source some 50's to try this. Will report back.

A larger idle will require less turns out from lightly seated position. Go down on the idle jet size to 50 and start with the screws 2 turns from lightly seated position. Then LBI each screw.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Oct 13 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #46

[quote name='914Toy' date='Oct 13 2018, 10:26 AM' post='2656998']
[quote name='72hardtop' post='2656964' date='Oct 13 2018, 07:54 AM']
[quote name='914Toy' post='2656955' date='Oct 13 2018, 07:31 AM']
[quote name='72hardtop' post='2656881' date='Oct 12 2018, 09:32 PM']
[quote name='914Toy' post='2656698' date='Oct 12 2018, 07:49 AM']
[quote name='72hardtop' post='2656524' date='Oct 11 2018, 02:40 PM']
[quote name='914Toy' post='2656463' date='Oct 11 2018, 11:43 AM']
[/quote]

Yes, I have considered and will source some 50's to try this. Will report back.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes - i will try 50's and keep you posted.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Oct 16 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #47

Update.

Installing "hatchet" shaped accelerator pump cams has solved the hesitation in acceleration issue

I have today replaced the 55's with 50's idle jets and this has increased the idle A/F's from 10.3 to 11.5 at 800 rpm's - a good improvement. A test drive and seat-of-the-pants judgement, there is no noticable change in power in the midrange mode with no change in WOT mode. Will stay with this set up and see what miles per gallon I get.
+Quote Post
larryM
post Oct 16 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #48

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

y'all may also find this thread relevant

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-...arb-tuning.html
+Quote Post
72hardtop
post Oct 29 2018, 12:42 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(914Toy @ Oct 16 2018, 07:40 AM) *

Update.

Installing "hatchet" shaped accelerator pump cams has solved the hesitation in acceleration issue

I have today replaced the 55's with 50's idle jets and this has increased the idle A/F's from 10.3 to 11.5 at 800 rpm's - a good improvement. A test drive and seat-of-the-pants judgement, there is no noticable change in power in the midrange mode with no change in WOT mode. Will stay with this set up and see what miles per gallon I get.

Down on the idle to 47.5. LBI should be ~ 14:0
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Oct 29 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #50

Update:

I installed the "hatchet" cams on the carb accelerator pump linkages - hesitation is eliminated!! Also installed 50's idle jets - too lean. Back to 55's and engine is running smoothly under all rpm's and varying power ranges.

A/F's still at 10.5 at idle at 800 rpm Have ordered a set of metric jet reamers - two weeks delivery. Will then ream out the small pressed in idle air jets 0.1 mm and report back.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Oct 29 2018, 11:41 AM
Post #51

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Good to know, never heard of the hatchet cam, I'll look into it if I have issues when mine is installed/tuned.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Nov 7 2018, 01:29 PM
Post #52

Update:
After much reading and testing ideas to discover how to increase my idle A/F's up from 10 - 10.5, including increasing the idle air jet orifices from 1.10mm (stock) to 1.18mm, I found the cause of my issue yesterday.
Previously I had found best idle setting with the idle mixture screws turned completely in (basically closed)? This means that fuel must be entering the throttle bodies from the intermediate orifices in order for the engine to idle. However after several inspections, I could see that the throttle plates were correctly positioned at idle, with their edges covering the lowest intermediate fuel orifice.
Cutting a long story short, with the carbs back on my bench, I observed that the idle mixture screws with "cup"washers covering O rings restricted the screws from being fully screwed in, leading to the previous conclusion that the screws were fully screwed in - closed. After removing the washers and O rings, the screws could be screwed in an additional approximately two turns! I reassembled the carbs and installed them with the mixture screws turned open one full turn. After unsuccessfully attempting to start the engine, I opened the mixture screws one half turn and the engine started immediately. After adjusting further to best idle and allowing the engine to warm up, the idle A/F mixture gauge showed steady 13's - success!!
I have since learned that my Weber 40IDA's were original equipped with mixture screws that did not have these cup washers and O rings. Here are two pics of the mixture screws:Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Nov 7 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Hmmmm....very interesting and extreme diligence on your part. I will definitely check mine, as I also have low AFR at idle and do not get consistent LbI indications. Thanks and well done !
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 8 2018, 05:01 AM
Post #54

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Interesting.. I actually need a few of those cup washers. Anyone know where to get them?
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 8 2018, 08:55 AM
Post #55

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

You can find a lot of the little parts at partsklassic.com
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Nov 8 2018, 09:54 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 8 2018, 03:01 AM) *

Interesting.. I actually need a few of those cup washers. Anyone know where to get them?

I do not believe you NEED them, other than for originality optics purposes. They have no useful function other than perhaps a little help to prevent the screws vibrating loose - unlikely with the springs doing this. The possibility of the intake vacuum pulling air through the threads is minuscule and I would judge as extremely unlikely be enough to have any performance impact. One source suggests these O rings were an attempt to show good faith to environmentalists - per discussion on PP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
72hardtop
post Jan 29 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #57

FYI....

There are also 2 types of idle jets used in the IDF's.

Are you sure your using the correct set for your IDF's?

The spring should compress and allow for the idle mix screw to bottom out. Only turn them in until they lightly seat. Don't go full gorilla with them.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 29 2019, 04:40 PM
Post #58

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I'm running same, just a bit bigger main jet on my 3.0, I also say leave it alone.
Getting better AFR from this point will be a game of a dog chasing it's tail.
Aircooleds need it a hair rich anyways.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:26 AM