Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apex Pro, racing coach/data
Jetsetsurfshop
post Oct 6 2018, 10:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

https://apextrackcoach.com

Anyone test this thing out yet. Looks compelling.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 9 2018, 11:41 AM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

As someone who needs a LOT of track driving help I think this would be awesome! If you get it keep us informed!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
naro914
post Oct 23 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

FYI, we sell them. They are a really good and simple way to get instant feedback on how to get better...or more accurately it shows you how far you are from the limits of the car. I’m really impressed with it. Plus it gives all kinds of data info for analysis.

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/product/a...ro-track-coach/

Shane...you have a chance to try it out yet?
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Oct 24 2018, 06:14 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

They're for green beginners...I just spent a weekend at the track and the drivers are trying to drive by them (and slowing up the field). Its a gadget, a crutch. If you think you need this gizmo please don't get on the track.

Tony
+Quote Post
naro914
post Oct 24 2018, 06:31 AM
Post #5

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 24 2018, 08:14 AM) *

They're for green beginners...I just spent a weekend at the track and the drivers are trying to drive by them (and slowing up the field). Its a gadget, a crutch. If you think you need this gizmo please don't get on the track.

Tony

Sorry Tony, I totally disagree.
Many advanced drivers are using them to help with instantaneous feedback and adjusting line and braking zones. Even semi-pro drivers and pro coaches like it and use it.
Data helps and this is simple data that can help quickly.

But then I guess not all of us are expert drivers that need no improvement.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Oct 24 2018, 06:58 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

On second thought Bob-O...you might try fitting one in your car (it might help). But it doesn't perform miracles... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

T
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Oct 24 2018, 09:34 AM
Post #7

So...
I mounted it up and I never looked at the damn thing. I seen the lights going but was more concerned with braking points and hitting my marks. My dash looked like a defective xmas tree!!!
I liked the idea of its ability to "on track" coach, but i think I'm still a post data guy. My AiM is my favorite tool. I was able to drop times with its help. I borrowed the Apex Pro in the thought of replacing my Solo.
I think two things here.
A. Its a great tool for some intermediate HPDE guys.
B. OR maybe when i'm looking for the last 10th it could be useful when I become a better driver.
You know...maybe the younger generation that love those phones so much will adapt to it better. With all that has to happen before I get into the car I didn't want to add my phone to the mix.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
naro914
post Oct 24 2018, 09:49 AM
Post #8

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Oct 24 2018, 11:34 AM) *

So...
I mounted it up and I never looked at the damn thing. I seen the lights going but was more concerned with braking points and hitting my marks. My dash looked like a defective xmas tree!!!
I liked the idea of its ability to "on track" coach, but i think I'm still a post data guy. My AiM is my favorite tool. I was able to drop times with its help. I borrowed the Apex Pro in the thought of replacing my Solo.
I think two things here.
A. Its a great tool for some intermediate HPDE guys.
B. OR maybe when i'm looking for the last 10th it could be useful when I become a better driver.
You know...maybe the younger generation that love those phones so much will adapt to it better. With all that has to happen before I get into the car I didn't want to add my phone to the mix.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Fair assessment. and its not for everyone.
My first time using it I didn't notice it at all - it was too far out of my field of vision. Moved it closer and actually started yelling at in in the car "WTF Red....I can't go through that turn any faster!" Eventually started saying to myself (or outloud..dunno), 'ok, fine I'll go faster'...and I did. Got more green. and faster lap times. So I kept trying until it was almost all green. (still yelling at it when I saw red).

I still obviously use my AiM and compared data from early sessions to later ones (you can do that with the Apex Pro too) and saw that yes, I was carrying more speed through the turns. Difference with using the Apex was, I could make the correcting IN THE NEXT LAP instead of in the next session. That's the benefit - simple feedback that you can react to instantaneously instead of waiting until later in the day...or the next day.

BTW, I used it in a PCA Club race and by the end of the weekend picked up 4 seconds over my best times at the start of the event. Part from the Apex, part from the Aim, but certainly the data and feedback helped me.

+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Oct 24 2018, 10:12 AM
Post #9

BTW, I used it in a PCA Club race and by the end of the weekend picked up 4 seconds over my best times at the start of the event. Part from the Apex, part from the Aim, but certainly the data and feedback helped me.
[/quote]

You picked up 4 seconds??
I need to give it another chance then.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Oct 24 2018, 10:26 AM
Post #10

Forgot to mention that I had an on track incident. After that happened i didn't want to mess with the thing.
Next time I'm testing the car at a Chin weekend i'll try it again.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Oct 24 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #11

Losing my mind...

[quote name='Jetsetsurfshop' date='Oct 24 2018, 12:12 PM' post='2659911']
[/quote]

You picked up 4 seconds??
I need to give it another chance then.
[/quote]
Now...I won’t attribute the entire 4 seconds to the Apex Pro, but I will say me and the lights had a discussion every lap and the lights were usually right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ...and I got faster..
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 5 2018, 02:47 PM
Post #12

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I think it could be a big help for guys like me. Lots of autox experience, and about 10 track days, but the confidence is not there for me to be comfortable on the track going above say 70% especially with something that is 45 years old.

For someone like Tony who laughs at GT3 cup cars, confidence in his car isnt really the issue.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 6 2018, 01:24 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Not an accurate portrayal of my view of Cup Cars and the speed disparity. For the most part, an adequately driven Cup will be slower than the 914 - a well driven car will be too quick (and brakes)!

Fundamentally, I have a problem with a device that contradicts some of the key instructional elements of road racing/driving. A driver should have "head up/eyes up" looking into and through the apex. The faster the car...the further you focus your attention. This device, in real time through an apex is giving feedback that is then supposed to be interpreted by the "active driver" - and adjustments made.

Whether adjustments are being made instantly or the "next lap around" - a driver should not be analyzing data and countermeasures in this manner. For instance, Barber has 17 corners...imagine for just a second (I don't have since I saw first hand the crap it causes) drivers trying to make adjustments that many times around each lap. I don't like that.

What I saw, literally on track two-weeks ago while instructing were drivers trying to adjust their cornering speed in real time by the "lights". The result was they were tip-toeing through the corners creating trains in the process.

I do occasionally spin, typically in a slow-er corner - I did at Barber a couple weeks ago. In this case, it was a function of the tires not coming up quick enough along with too much speed into a hairpin. I believe a driver develops true "confidence" and feel through their ASS. Until you find the limit and lose it - you will always be well under the threshold.

Beyond just busting Bob's balls for the fun of it - I really do not believe this tool is healthy for driver development. Its just my opinion. I have seen the on-track results of these devices being implemented and believe they are a crutch for proper growth.

Tony

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 5 2018, 03:47 PM) *

For someone like Tony who laughs at GT3 cup cars, confidence in his car isnt really the issue.
+Quote Post
theer
post Nov 6 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 6 2018, 02:24 PM) *

I believe a driver develops true "confidence" and feel through their ASS.

Yep. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Nevertheless, data & feedback is always helpful.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:35 PM