Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Apex Pro, racing coach/data
Jetsetsurfshop
post Oct 6 2018, 10:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

https://apextrackcoach.com

Anyone test this thing out yet. Looks compelling.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Andyrew
post Nov 5 2018, 02:47 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I think it could be a big help for guys like me. Lots of autox experience, and about 10 track days, but the confidence is not there for me to be comfortable on the track going above say 70% especially with something that is 45 years old.

For someone like Tony who laughs at GT3 cup cars, confidence in his car isnt really the issue.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 6 2018, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Not an accurate portrayal of my view of Cup Cars and the speed disparity. For the most part, an adequately driven Cup will be slower than the 914 - a well driven car will be too quick (and brakes)!

Fundamentally, I have a problem with a device that contradicts some of the key instructional elements of road racing/driving. A driver should have "head up/eyes up" looking into and through the apex. The faster the car...the further you focus your attention. This device, in real time through an apex is giving feedback that is then supposed to be interpreted by the "active driver" - and adjustments made.

Whether adjustments are being made instantly or the "next lap around" - a driver should not be analyzing data and countermeasures in this manner. For instance, Barber has 17 corners...imagine for just a second (I don't have since I saw first hand the crap it causes) drivers trying to make adjustments that many times around each lap. I don't like that.

What I saw, literally on track two-weeks ago while instructing were drivers trying to adjust their cornering speed in real time by the "lights". The result was they were tip-toeing through the corners creating trains in the process.

I do occasionally spin, typically in a slow-er corner - I did at Barber a couple weeks ago. In this case, it was a function of the tires not coming up quick enough along with too much speed into a hairpin. I believe a driver develops true "confidence" and feel through their ASS. Until you find the limit and lose it - you will always be well under the threshold.

Beyond just busting Bob's balls for the fun of it - I really do not believe this tool is healthy for driver development. Its just my opinion. I have seen the on-track results of these devices being implemented and believe they are a crutch for proper growth.

Tony

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 5 2018, 03:47 PM) *

For someone like Tony who laughs at GT3 cup cars, confidence in his car isnt really the issue.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:49 PM