Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> timing issue, timing light stops flashing for a split second every few seconds
DRPHIL914
post Oct 6 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

so its missing every few seconds or so.
like when the heart skips a beat. So how or why would this happen- is it the points module?(hot spark) , seems like the most likely thing. I am going to put the 123ignition distributor in tomorrow, and it will be interesting to see if it still happens.
that will eliminate the fi points plate and the hotspark module in the old distributor.

So has anyone else ever seen this when setting the timing on their car?? if so what did you conclude?

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
PlaysWithCars
post Oct 8 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yes, as everyone has pointed out, its important that the timing light is connected properly. But, I've frequently found that there is an ignition system issue leading to missed spark. Most common for me has been plug wires: carbon core breaking down or the connection between the wire core and the terminals on the end.

Try putting the light on other plug leads. You won't be able to check the timing, but you should be able to confirm consistent plug firing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:59 AM