Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It’s 2018 where are the big brake kits, DIY big brake kits
widebody914
post Oct 8 2018, 12:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,727
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey everyone just trying to reach out and get some diy big brake kit ideas. It’s 2018 and I don’t get why our options are still big reds or switch over to 911. I’m looking to do a willwood setup on a 914-4 suspension. Has anyone done this? Trying to save some coin and time.
Thanks,
Trevor (group5 v8 914)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 8 2018, 05:53 AM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

The 914/4 front suspension is quite limited because it came with a solid rotor and 4-lug hub. The solid rotor is a hindrance to adding big brakes and the 4-lug hub is a hindrance to putting on a myriad of larger and wider 911-type wheels.

The 911 front end is a drop-in, bolt-in replacement for the 914/4 suspension. Most later styles come with vented rotors and even later one have 3.5 inch spaced caliper hard points for larger calipers.

The rear end can be modified in many ways for vented rotors and larger calipers.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Oct 8 2018, 06:03 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

It's not necessary to change the whole front suspension.
Get struts with 3.5" caliper mounts and your brake options open up.
While your at it install Turbo tie rods.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2018, 06:08 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Because the 911 parts already offer so many great options, it’s not worth developing a new product for a very limited application.

911 parts aren’t cheap but are still available at reasonable prices and are a time saver since they bolt in without any fabrication.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 8 2018, 06:24 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Stock brakes work rather well.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 8 2018, 08:31 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I looked into this, the picture shows a billet hub with Wilwood parts bolted to it. I ended up going 5 lug and doing the Boxster calipers (still fit under a 15" wheel)

In this thread someone has a set of billet hubs for sale that uses the stock 911 vented front rotor.

Unless you have access to a machine shop I don't see you saving any money on this.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 8 2018, 08:34 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

There was a kit to adapt the 911 rotor (and more) with four-lug 914 wheels a while back, but I am not sure it was put into production? Also trying to remember if the Bremtek setup could be had in four or five lug?

While the stock brakes do work pretty well on a stock or mostly stock car when they're in good shape, I can see where a Wilwood kit would be appealing if for no other reasons than unsprung weight (the stock steel calipers are boat anchors), sticking with four-lug wheels, and not having to convert the rear end. Downside if you want to do an upgrade in the rear is the parking brake. It's either a second caliper or no parking brake...or complete conversion to 911 rear brakes...which gets you back to a five-lug conversion up front.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 8 2018, 08:35 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 8 2018, 07:31 AM) *

I looked into this, the picture shows a billet hub with Wilwood parts bolted to it. I ended up going 5 lug and doing the Boxster calipers (still fit under a 15" wheel)

In this thread someone has a set of billet hubs for sale that uses the stock 911 vented front rotor.

Unless you have access to a machine shop I don't see you saving any money on this.

^ Nailed it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2018, 08:37 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 8 2018, 10:34 AM) *

There was a kit to adapt the 911 rotor (and more) with four-lug 914 wheels a while back, but I am not sure it was put into production? Also trying to remember if the Bremtek setup could be had in four or five lug?

While the stock brakes do work pretty well on a stock or mostly stock car when they're in good shape, I can see where a Wilwood kit would be appealing if for no other reasons than unsprung weight (the stock steel calipers are boat anchors), sticking with four-lug wheels, and not having to convert the rear end. Downside if you want to do an upgrade in the rear is the parking brake. It's either a second caliper or no parking brake...or complete conversion to 911 rear brakes...which gets you back to a five-lug conversion up front.

Or a 914-6 rear caliper. Rotors could be re-drilled to 4 lug.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 8 2018, 08:41 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 8 2018, 07:37 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

But still a boat anchor. Of course, then there's the trailing arm...

It surprises me that no one has done an Elephant Racing style trailing arm for the 914, one with better mounts, better adjustments, and less weight. Between that and the caliper, I wonder how much unsprung weight might be lost in the rear alone. Which raises the question of how much weight might be saved up front with the GT3-style system now available, as well. There's a lot of steel in the 914's suspension. It works, but...
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Oct 8 2018, 09:28 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

There's plenty of reasonable options if you change the lug pattern to 5... If you're trying to keep it 4 lug then the options are rare at best and expensive--as it's already been said you're way better off converting over.

Unicorn parts for a 4 bolt lug pattern set up, rear disks have to be redrilled to 4 (not for sale)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2018, 09:40 AM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 8 2018, 10:41 AM) *

It surprises me that no one has done an Elephant Racing style trailing arm for the 914, one with better mounts, better adjustments, and less weight. Between that and the caliper, I wonder how much unsprung weight might be lost in the rear alone. Which raises the question of how much weight might be saved up front with the GT3-style system now available, as well. There's a lot of steel in the 914's suspension. It works, but...

If we are adding lightness into the equation, the 914 trailing arm only weighs a couple pounds. It just looks chunky. Eric Shea/PMB made an aluminum 914-6 caliper. It only got a luke warm reception (914 guys are cheap) but weighs half the steel caliper. I'm sure you could track down a pair. Go with the alloy 3' Brembo caliper on the front (3" struts are lighter than 3.5) the 911 alloy crossmember and you have a killer lightweight big brake setup that bolts on.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 8 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 8 2018, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 8 2018, 10:41 AM) *

If we are adding lightness into the equation, the 914 trailing arm only weighs a couple pounds. It just looks chunky. Eric Shea/PMB made an aluminum 914-6 caliper. It only got a luke warm reception (914 guys are cheap) but weighs half the steel caliper. I'm sure you could track down a pair. Go with the alloy 3' Brembo caliper on the front (3" struts are lighter than 3.5) the 911 alloy crossmember and you have a killer lightweight big brake setup that bolts on.

You could go a few steps further for the rear:

Inverted Bilstein monotube shocks (heavy parts mounted to chassis)

Replace heavy rear shock bolt with a smaller diameter bolt in double sheer instead of single sheer (would compliment inverted shock)

+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Oct 8 2018, 10:26 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 22,446

I've found a 2 piston aluminum caliper with parking brake capability to replace the annoying manually adjusted factory unit. It has a 3.5' lug mounting so I need to make an adapter bracket but it should work and shave off some weight.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Oct 8 2018, 10:34 AM
Post #15

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ................it would be nice to see pictures of your car(s) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
widebody914
post Oct 8 2018, 10:53 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Oct 8 2018, 11:34 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ................it would be nice to see pictures of your car(s) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

I am trying to figure out how to post pictures.. if you have Instagram look me up @anigav_480
+Quote Post
widebody914
post Oct 8 2018, 10:56 AM
Post #17

Ok sorry I should have been more descriptive of my build I have a 914 group5 wide body with a Chevy v8 and I also have a 5x114.3 bolt pattern and my wheels are BBS LMs 18x11 front 18x14 rear. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will. If anyone has Instagram my name is @anigav_480

Thanks for all the replies
+Quote Post
widebody914
post Oct 8 2018, 11:03 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 8 2018, 09:31 AM) *

So who makes this billet hub … it could definitely be an option
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 8 2018, 11:05 AM
Post #19

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(widebody914 @ Oct 7 2018, 11:42 PM) *
Trying to save some coin and time.

I have Boxster calipers on all 4 corners.
Best brakes i ever had on the 914 and trust me, i tried a lot of different setups.
The adapters as well as the calipers are readily available.

I'm not sure how reinventing the wheel fits into "saving money and time". There are already plenty of options out there and a good portion of those are (still) affordable.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

PS: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 8 2018, 11:17 AM
Post #20

914 Freak!

QUOTE(widebody914 @ Oct 8 2018, 09:56 AM) *

Ok sorry I should have been more descriptive of my build I have a 914 group5 wide body with a Chevy v8 and I also have a 5x114.3 bolt pattern and my wheels are BBS LMs 18x11 front 18x14 rear. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will. If anyone has Instagram my name is @anigav_480

Thanks for all the replies

I think it is actually easier to do a brake package with those huge wheels than with small 15" and 16" like many of us.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:15 AM