Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can I install late (hub-centric) rotors on an early car?
djway
post Dec 24 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

What exactly is different? Lets ignore the pinch ball joint for now.
Is the spindle different?
Are the bearings different?
Is it only the caliper mount? Further in or out? Spacer or machining?
If I recall the BMW caliper bolts right on the early and needs some face machined off for late. I did this for my 74.
If it is only the caliper mount possibilities are opened up.
Chi-Town, do you have any thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 24 2018, 07:14 PM
Post #22

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

See post #6
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 25 2018, 04:23 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 19,266

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 24 2018, 05:14 PM) *

See post #6

This is what I have found, all the bearings and spindles are the same. They are also the same as on many T1, T3 and T4 and 924.
The solid rotors are the same diameter but the T3 is 9.5mm thick and the T4 is 11mm thick. Early 914 is the T3 and later is the T4.
The 924 rotor uses the same bearings and is 13mm thick but has a diameter that is about 1/2in different.
The mounting bracket for the caliper compared to the rotor offset is different. When doing the 320 caliper modification the difference in the early and late 914 brake is found on the strut itself. The BMW caliper bolts right on the early but you must remove .125in of material off of the BMW caliper mounting surface to mount on the later strut, which gives you the difference between the two strut types.
There are several 4 piston calipers that are out there than can bolt up but will either need a spacer or machined face depending of the strut caliper combination.
There are as stated above several rotors available and some that will work but the overall diameter may need to be turned down.
There are also vented disc brakes for VW T1 that will go right on the spindle that should work with the 320 caliper for vented rotors and possibly Volvo, also wildwood and I am tracking down several others.
So it actually appears there are many options, if you have access to a machine shop. You can go vented and 4 puck calipers that will bolt on vented disc or bigger calipers on the solid disc.
It appears a machined surface later 914 caliper will work on an early strut with your solid late rotor with hub centric mount.
I am searching for more rotors and calipers that can bolt on with either spacing or machining for the caliper mounting face.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 26 2018, 10:18 PM
Post #24

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Cool. I still need to roll all this around in my head before moving forward, but at least I've learned more about the differences (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:11 PM