Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 2.0 Liter engine has running issues, my 75 D jet engine will sometimes buck or stop on the road.
dralf
post Oct 9 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,597

My 75 Porsche with the original D Jet has started to occasionally buck or stop when on the road. Over the years I have replaced the wiring harness, the Maps sensor, voltage regulator, coil, trigger points.. and a few other items. I checked the dwell a month ago and it indicated the points were off, so I changed them. This seemed to solve the problem for a few short trips, however, the issue is now back with a vengeance. I limped home today with numerous events on the interstate when the engine just started to loose power and the reves would drop and if I did not down shift and get the reves to 4000+ or pump the gas the engine would die completely. Thankfully once dead it would start and if I kept the reves high I could drive a bit further. Once home I checked the dwell and it is at 50 which I recall is at the upper range but should not be the culprit. I do not feel vacuum leaks nor any obvious loose connection. Only thing I wonder about is that I noticed that the voltage going from the coil to the points is 6 volts, is this correct ?

Any suggestions as to where to troubleshoot would be appreciated. I will be checking out my fuel filter since I think issues with it could cause the engine to die yet restart easily.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 9 2018, 01:14 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I had a bucking issue on mine that did not go away until I changed the coil.

I had previously changed the engine wire harness and ecu, all new gas lines and filters, got injectors cleaned and cleaned and reclocked TPS.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 9 2018, 01:21 PM
Post #3

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

i agree with Mark this is a possibility, but bucking issue can be caused by a number of things I have had a few of these- bad TPS, FI grounds shorting out or coming loose, or other grounds not making good contact.
Test the coil or wires , and check the tps , just unplug it and see if there is a change or improvement. The last time I had really back bucking it was the worn TPS board, but the time before that was the coil.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 11:41 PM