Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Papa Smurf "Refresh" Winter Project Thread, Sad update 12/30/2020
horizontally-opposed
post May 18 2019, 01:53 PM
Post #161

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 30 2019, 05:33 AM) *

Sorry I haven’t posted an update lately...unfortunately not much has happened since we got back from Dawe’s. VIR and Road Atlanta one weekend, Hershey the next and Roebling Road this past weekend...all working, no playing. ☹️ With fab and paint delays setting us back a month, we’re in the thick of track vendor season so no time...

And now I’m waiting for outside vendors to do what they promised: headers/exhaust have been at the powder coater (for ceramic coating) for over 2 weeks now when he said “it’ll be a week”...windshield finally going back in tomorrow... still need to fab a rear one, plus all the rest of the little things, then corner balance/align, wrap, clear bra, etc..

So he sits and waits patiently...

You are crazy if you add a livery to this thing. Just gorgeous. I'd add the simplest numbers possible and call it a day.

The car looks great, Bob!

pete
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 18 2019, 04:19 PM
Post #162

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Krieger @ May 18 2019, 09:33 AM) *

When are you scheduled to drive? I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on how the cage mods have affected the handling .

Next Friday (May 24) is test and tune day!! , then we’re doing the SCCA Time Trials Nationals on Saturday and Sunday both driving and as a vendor.

So...in the end, this will be 8 months from running car, tear down, rebuild, to back on track. 2 months later than I had hoped, but we’ve done a lot more than I originally planned so I guess not bad...
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 18 2019, 04:40 PM
Post #163

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 18 2019, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 30 2019, 05:33 AM) *

Sorry I haven’t posted an update lately...unfortunately not much has happened since we got back from Dawe’s. VIR and Road Atlanta one weekend, Hershey the next and Roebling Road this past weekend...all working, no playing. ☹️ With fab and paint delays setting us back a month, we’re in the thick of track vendor season so no time...

And now I’m waiting for outside vendors to do what they promised: headers/exhaust have been at the powder coater (for ceramic coating) for over 2 weeks now when he said “it’ll be a week”...windshield finally going back in tomorrow... still need to fab a rear one, plus all the rest of the little things, then corner balance/align, wrap, clear bra, etc..

So he sits and waits patiently...

You are crazy if you add a livery to this thing. Just gorgeous. I'd add the simplest numbers possible and call it a day.

The car looks great, Bob!

pete

Thanks Pete...but we also have some sponsors, or more like companies that gave us free or greatly reduced rates to get this done we have to take care of. And it’s kind of a showcase of what we sell and what you can do in your own race car...

It’s a race car. Personally I don’t like boring single color simple race cars. Heck, even our “street” 914 is way beyond simple...

Plus we need PCA Racing, Vintage Racing, and SCCA decals, classes (VGTO, GT4 and GT2), weight (diff for PCA and SCCA of course),

It won’t be crazy... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
naro914
post May 18 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #164

Losing my mind...

This is our side numbers...pro-ish style

Attached Image
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 18 2019, 04:43 PM
Post #165

Losing my mind...

^^ wow, showed up really big!
+Quote Post
Betty
post May 19 2019, 09:59 AM
Post #166

Driver

Member No.: 3,255

As somebody who works Grid for PCA Club Races - thank you, thank you, thank you for using simple, easy to read numbers (I hope the ones on the front trunk are easy to read too). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You haven't really 'partied' until you're one of a team of 4-5 people trying to get 70+ race cars directed to, and parked, in a specific numbered Grid spot before the race.

Complicate that with drivers that are strapped in with Hans devices that make it nearly impossible for them to see you and see where they should go, and race cars that do not turn easily at parking lot speeds (and that you sure the heck don't want to ask to back up)!

I also hope you're one of the considerate drivers that show up to Grid loooong before the rush of inconsiderate drivers pile in right before the 5 minute warning that Grid is closing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 19 2019, 10:05 AM
Post #167

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Betty @ May 19 2019, 10:59 AM) *

As somebody who works Grid for PCA Club Races - thank you, thank you, thank you for using simple, easy to read numbers (I hope the ones on the front trunk are easy to read too). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You haven't really 'partied' until you're one of a team of 4-5 people trying to get 70+ race cars directed to, and parked, in a specific numbered Grid spot before the race.

Complicate that with drivers that are strapped in with Hans devices that make it nearly impossible for them to see you and see where they should go, and race cars that do not turn easily at parking lot speeds (and that you sure the heck don't want to ask to back up)!

I also hope you're one of the considerate drivers that show up to Grid loooong before the rush of inconsiderate drivers pile in right before the 5 minute warning that Grid is closing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And thank you from the Timing and Scoring folks too. Trying to read numbers at speed when they match the colors of the hippie swirl on the side of the car becomes a real "challenge".

Oh.. and check your transponder number against your logbook too. Unresolved transponders are the biggest headache T&S has.

Oh.. and Betty wanted me to tell you that you are invited to help grid a big group at COTA. If you experience it, you will understand.
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 19 2019, 10:42 AM
Post #168

Losing my mind...

'Lol....remember, we have been doing this race thing a LONG time now
Nadine did T&S starting back in 2004 for 8-9 years, then Scrutineering for another 7 or so.
She was our regions race chair one year
We’ve both done grid and worked corners.
I’ve been racing since 2006.
So yeah, we totally understand the work that the volunteers and national staff deals with

We still have the same transponder we’ve had since the beginning, and it seems to work (lights on). We’ll know next weekend, doing a SCCA time trial before my first race at VIR.

Still haven’t decided the hood number, but it will certainly be contrasting color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914four
post May 19 2019, 05:55 PM
Post #169

Member No.: 7,582

QUOTE(naro914 @ May 12 2019, 09:33 PM) *

The clutch seemed odd: when you step on it, there was a click or pop sound in the tunnel. I had replaced the stock clutch cable with a Terry Cable version. It’s different. So I put the stock one back in and it seems fine...so now we have 2 Terry Cable clutch cables for sale

Before you sell the Terry Cables check the clutch tube to be sure the bracket is not braking away from the welds inside the tunnel. This happened to my car during Okteenerfest last year. Adjusted the clutch several times and could never get it right. There was a clicking sound inside the tunnel and I found where the bracket had broken lose. This is a YouTube video of what I found: Broken Clutch Tube

Seems to be a common problem and might be worth running a scope inside the tunnel to check.

Papa Smurf is looking fantastic!

Kelvin
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 27 2019, 05:34 AM
Post #170

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(914four @ May 19 2019, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ May 12 2019, 09:33 PM) *

The clutch seemed odd: when you step on it, there was a click or pop sound in the tunnel. I had replaced the stock clutch cable with a Terry Cable version. It’s different. So I put the stock one back in and it seems fine...so now we have 2 Terry Cable clutch cables for sale

Before you sell the Terry Cables check the clutch tube to be sure the bracket is not braking away from the welds inside the tunnel. This happened to my car during Okteenerfest last year. Adjusted the clutch several times and could never get it right. There was a clicking sound inside the tunnel and I found where the bracket had broken lose. This is a YouTube video of what I found: Broken Clutch Tube

Seems to be a common problem and might be worth running a scope inside the tunnel to check.

Papa Smurf is looking fantastic!

Kelvin

Hi Kelvin
I thought the same thing, but I do have an access panel to that whole area and it’s fine. With the stock cable it works perfectly, no clicking, and it’s easy and smooth... just strange.
Personally, I thing there is a slight kink in our clutch cable tube right where it exits the fire wall. The stock ones have the Teflon shield on them, the Terry Cable ones don’t, (but they’re thicker cable). So it may be hanging up on the kink a little...don’t know.
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 27 2019, 05:55 AM
Post #171

Losing my mind...

So....update!! As I mentioned above This weekend was the first time out for Papa Smurf. Friday was a testing day, Sat/Sun was the SCCA Time Trials National Tour event.

We had two sets of really old tires...no need to spend a lot of money on new slicks for a test day and just a TT at a track that destroys tires...Friday went very well, only two minor issues:
- in my second session out, I started to smell fuel. When I looked in the rear view mirror, I saw a liquid spitting up onto the rear window...obviously fuel. Not wanting to test out our new Lifeline fire suppression system I shut it down and got towed in. We found a loose AN fuel fitting at the fuel rail. Easy fix.
- Cody Forbes of Black Forest Racing was there to help out with testing. I let him take it out and toward the end of the session he was having an issue shifting into 2nd and 4th. Turns out I never locked down the stops on the Rennshift and one had vibrated itself “in” and stopped the grow from going far enough to engage the gear. Another easy fix.

Otherwise...the tires sucked, but we managed through them and I ended up finishing First Place in the top class U-1!!

I’ll post some video links when I get them up. Here’s one on FB that Cody took.

https://www.facebook.com/294754070719241/po...v=e&sfns=mo

Next up, PCA Club Race at VIR later in June!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 27 2019, 06:30 AM
Post #172

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Congratulations on a great day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 27 2019, 07:20 AM
Post #173

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Beautiful car.

Form AND Function. It doesn't get better than that.

Congrats on your results in both!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kid914
post May 27 2019, 07:58 AM
Post #174

ALWAYS lead...NEVER follow!!!!

Member No.: 12,811
Region Association: Canada

Love the rims. One off?
Gorgeous!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post May 27 2019, 12:45 PM
Post #175

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

WOW!

Papa looks great!!!!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 27 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #176

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 27 2019, 07:40 PM
Post #177

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

It's so awesome seeing your car back on the road after the drama you went through with the engine a while back.

You sent me a very nice PM encouraging me to finish my car when I got discouraged. I'll never forget that.

Thank you, and Bravo on the win!!!!!!
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 27 2019, 08:07 PM
Post #178

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

P1 outta the box!

I'll second that comment about form and function. Car looks great, and obviously goes great. Well done, Bob!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

+Quote Post
Betty
post May 27 2019, 09:58 PM
Post #179

Driver

Member No.: 3,255

P1 at the very first outing after a MAJOR rebuild, AND on crappy tires... Papa looks awesome... the business booth/setup looks very classy.

Congrats on all of it (but just the teensy-ist, tiny bit more for the success on track cuz that's just the way I feel really deep down inside)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 29 2019, 07:52 PM
Post #180

Losing my mind...

Video!!
Quick recap of the work we did, plus a lap from the SCCA TT this past weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w24UYb3hNBQ
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 06:08 PM