Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RPMs very slow to drop
Tdskip
post Oct 16 2018, 03:40 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Hi guys-hoping to get some sage advice here on what's going on. I am picking at the 1973 1.7 L D-jet car and when I was test driving her today she did not want to return back to idle.

When you accelerate in first gear up to about 3500 or 4000 RPM and then take your foot off the gas the RPMs stay at the same level or climb slightly and then only slowly drift down.

She starts fine and will idle at about 1000 RPM, air bleed screw is close to all the way in.

There is an aftermarket return spring on the throttle assembly but appears to have the right amount of tension. I took the air cleaner off and when I manually actually the throttle it appears to settle down faster than when I do it with the gas pedal.

The pedal does not appear to be binding on the carpet or interior trim.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 16 2018, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 16 2018, 02:40 PM) *

Hi guys-hoping to get some sage advice here on what's going on. I am picking at the 1973 1.7 L D-jet car and when I was test driving her today she did not want to return back to idle.

When you accelerate in first gear up to about 3500 or 4000 RPM and then take your foot off the gas the RPMs stay at the same level or climb slightly and then only slowly drift down.

She starts fine and will idle at about 1000 RPM, air bleed screw is close to all the way in.

There is an aftermarket return spring on the throttle assembly but appears to have the right amount of tension. I took the air cleaner off and when I manually actually the throttle it appears to settle down faster than when I do it with the gas pedal.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks!

You stated that it returned to idle more quickly when you operated the throttle by hand. What happens when you disconnect the cable from the throttle body? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 16 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Is the accelerator pedal returning easily? Does it hang up on anything when you test it from the engine side in neutral with the parking brake on?
+Quote Post
andreic
post Oct 16 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,479
Region Association: Upper MidWest

1) You must be having some pretty bad leaks if you can not bring the idle down with the screw on the throttle. Replace all vacuum lines and/or test with a carb cleaner spray at all connections.

2) If the problem is not mechanical (throttle plate not returning to idle position by itself) you may also have a problem with the distributor timing advance. One of the two vacuum lines from the throttle body goes to the distributor in order to retard the timing at idle -- this lowers the idle RPM for emissions control. If the advance plate in the distributor sticks, or the canister does not hold a vacuum, it may be slow to retard the timing, so the idle is slow to come down.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Oct 16 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

CARBS..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
adolimpio
post Oct 16 2018, 07:15 PM
Post #6

Art

Member No.: 11,449
Region Association: South East States

Cable binding?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 16 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Suspects:
- Air leaks. This includes the possibility that the throttle plate isn't closing correctly. Or that the decel valve is hanging open. Or some other air leak.
- Timing. Advanced timing will raise your idle; if the timing sticks advanced it will keep the RPMs up, then when the timing drops so will the RPMs.

--DD
+Quote Post
black73
post Oct 17 2018, 04:53 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,801

Worn throttle cable.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 17 2018, 05:10 AM
Post #9

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Just went through the same thing; I dry-lubed the moving parts on the TB and the accelerator part of the pedal cluster. Seems like I have to do this about once a year.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 17 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 16 2018, 02:40 PM) *

Any ideas for me?

Thanks!

Yes......have you looked at and tested your dizzy from the other thread yet?

Report back.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 17 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 16 2018, 09:22 PM) *

Suspects:
- Air leaks. This includes the possibility that the throttle plate isn't closing correctly. Or that the decel valve is hanging open. Or some other air leak.
- Timing. Advanced timing will raise your idle; if the timing sticks advanced it will keep the RPMs up, then when the timing drops so will the RPMs.

--DD

First, thanks to all for the ideas.

Dave - I did find that when I was operating the throttle by hand at one point it seemed to close (but with RPMs still too high) but then it further "snapped" back to closed.

Is there a lip or ridge in there that gets worn or gunked up?

I'll try disconnecting the accelerator pedal and then cable to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 17 2018, 01:18 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(andreic @ Oct 16 2018, 05:35 PM) *

1) You must be having some pretty bad leaks if you can not bring the idle down with the screw on the throttle. Replace all vacuum lines and/or test with a carb cleaner spray at all connections.

The air bleed screw does impact the idle level, but it needs to be nearly fully screwed in to lower it.

I'm going to dig into the throttle plate first.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Oct 17 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Put a few drops of oil on your distributor felt, the advance arms may be sticking open. Otherwise it sounds like vacuum leaks.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 17 2018, 04:00 PM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 17 2018, 12:17 PM) *

Is there a lip or ridge in [the throttle body] that gets worn or gunked up?

There wasn't one when the throttle body was new. There may be one now... The shaft may also have worn the bore that it rides in out of round. And there could be other potential issues that cause that behavior.

Start isolating things. Disconnecting the throttle pedal will remove that from the equation. If you still have sticking, disconnect the throttle cable at the throttle body end. If you still have sticking, the problem is in the throttle body assembly.

--DD
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 17 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Oct 18 2018, 08:47 AM) *

Put a few drops of oil on your distributor felt, the advance arms may be sticking open. Otherwise it sounds like vacuum leaks.

You nailed it,sticking mechanical advance...real common issue,as long as the engine idles @ correct rpm or you have other issues as mentioned.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 17 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Good tip on the distributor-I'll have to check that.

I'm used to checking for vacuum leaks using starting fluid and listening to a change in RPM. I did check that today and even after spraying all of the hose junction points. I did not get any change in RPM. Does that suggest that I'm OK as far as vacuum leaks go or do I need to test in a different manner?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 17 2018, 08:13 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 17 2018, 05:53 PM) *

Good tip on the distributor-I'll have to check that.

I'm used to checking for vacuum leaks using starting fluid and listening to a change in RPM. I did check that today and even after spraying all of the hose junction points. I did not get any change in RPM. Does that suggest that I'm OK as far as vacuum leaks go or do I need to test in a different manner?

That suggests there are no leaks at the hose connections. But there are other places. Did you spray by the injector seals; the intake manifold body and seals on the runners; the oil fill tower; the throttle body shaft bushings, etc. If those bushings are worn enough it would account for both sticking and vacuum leak Disconnect the cable as I mentioned earlier so you can rule out the cable binding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 18 2018, 12:13 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Good morning. Just a quick update that I did the test routine that Dave another suggested and it looks like my initial culprit is a sticky throttle cable, RPMs drop quickly and correctly with that disconnected.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 18 2018, 01:30 PM
Post #19

Then the tube for the throttle cable is severed or loose; split at the end where the cable has worn thru; filthy; or routed incorrectly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
adolimpio
post Oct 18 2018, 03:37 PM
Post #20

Art

Member No.: 11,449

I had a similar problem recently.

The ends of the wires that make up the cable jacket were very sharp and catching on the cable. I bent the ends of each wire at each end to flare them out a bit and that did the trick - see picture below.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/dolimpios.com-11449-1539898634.1.jpg)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:45 PM