Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 901 transmission main seal and rear main seal
John90290
post Oct 17 2018, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,937
Region Association: None

I pulled the engine to complete the hell hole repair so figured I'd put in a new clutch. Glad I did, clutch disc soaked in oil or transmission fluid, take your pick. Also found the exhaust manifolds nuts hand tight on a couple of the studs and the thermostat cable off of the roller so that basically did not work.

Anyway.... I purchased the new seals - rear main and transmission shaft output but can't find any images or instructions on how to replace them? Usually this is straight forward but there seams to be some sort of recess in the RMS of the engine? Any diagrams or instructions would be appreciated.

Also, the clutch had a lot of material left on it, almost as thick as the replacement disc so I think the clutch was recent but they never bothered to replace seals so it's shot. The flywheel looks smooth and unmarred. Do I still need to resurface?

Thanks!

-John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 17 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If flywheel is smooth, you are good. Did you get new bolts, pilot bearing, felt, flat plate and bolts for the flywheel re mount?

Seal should just pull out like usual rear mains. Trans seal needs removal of the guided tube and TOB parts, then be careful not to gouge the bore (very common) as this can lead to a leak. While your in there, make sure you have the plastic spacers that go between the TOB and the fork arms, and replaced the bushing in the fork.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 17 2018, 03:43 PM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Don't hammer in the new rear main. You can damage one that way. There is an install tool for it but short of that you could use a flat piece of wood or metal against it. That being said there was some bit of discussion here re: which brand to buy. Evidently some were not sealing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Oct 17 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #4

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Sabo black rms. Anything else will leak
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 17 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I thought it would be a good time to show what the factory transmission front seal looked like. As you can see it is NOTHING like the replacement seal that is being sold. VW part 113.311.113B

Added picture of Porsche OEM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
John90290
post Oct 18 2018, 09:31 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 17 2018, 01:10 PM) *

If flywheel is smooth, you are good. Did you get new bolts, pilot bearing, felt, flat plate and bolts for the flywheel re mount?

Seal should just pull out like usual rear mains. Trans seal needs removal of the guided tube and TOB parts, then be careful not to gouge the bore (very common) as this can lead to a leak. While your in there, make sure you have the plastic spacers that go between the TOB and the fork arms, and replaced the bushing in the fork.

Thanks for all the input. I got all the parts you mentioned above and am ready to go. Do you think I will need a pilot bearing puller or could I fashion something from the assorted pullers in my collection? Also found this diagram about the trans. Let me know if this sort of looks correct.

Also, I got the rms from pelican parts but don’t think it’s the sabo? Should I buy a sabo or is the pelican parts rms good?

Thanks.
John

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Oct 18 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #7

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The RMS you want (Sabo) is available from GoWesty: http://www.gowesty.com/product/mechanical/...l-rear-main-?v=

I think you should be able to remove the old pilot bearing with a press or with a hammer and a suitable drift. Or a puller. I think there are several ways you could skin that cat.

Edit: may also want to ask Mark (914Sixer) where to find that input shaft seal. I bought the OEM from him. I think he has a source in Germany or something.
+Quote Post
John90290
post Oct 18 2018, 10:23 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 18 2018, 08:50 AM) *

The RMS you want (Sabo) is available from GoWesty: http://www.gowesty.com/product/mechanical/...l-rear-main-?v=

I think you should be able to remove the old pilot bearing with a press or with a hammer and a suitable drift. Or a puller. I think there are several ways you could skin that cat.

Edit: may also want to ask Mark (914Sixer) where to find that input shaft seal. I bought the OEM from him. I think he has a source in Germany or something.

done and done. Thanks again. Saved me some headaches down the road. The "you might as well" and "while the engine is out you should..." is painful in the short term but I know it will pay off in some good, problem free years,...I hope.

-John
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:04 AM