Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 987.1 -Looking at a Modern 914-P Content, Found a Deal-What to look for experiences-Advice
914_teener
post Oct 17 2018, 01:30 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Still in the Porsche family and just really reminds me of our 914's but with AC and Airbags. Seller wants 13.5k

Found a deal I just can't seem to pass on. I looked at and have driven the vaunted and often maligned 987.1. Didn't hear any rattles on start up and no smoke either. Listen for a rattling water pump and couldn't tell.

So details:

2006 987.1 Cayman S-Lapis Blue-Manual Trans.

Here is the kicker......salvage title. I have the Carfax. Last owner bought it for 17.5 from salvage drove it for 2 years and then passed away unfortunately. I don't have the service records.

Going to have a PPI done this Friday to make a decision.

Any advice besides the boroscope and computer fault checks?

Definitely the front rotors need to be replaced and the pads. Rears look okay. Steering feels a little "squishy" and it may be just worn struts but not sure until I get it up on the rack.

Thanks to all the mid engined owners here....in Advance.

Rob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 17 2018, 01:38 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Check the drain holes around the body. My brother-in-law's car flooded because of a blocked drain hole and did a lot of electrical damage. Also see if you can find any indication as to the damage resulting in the total loss status resulting in the salvage title. I would make sure the PPI is done by someone very familiar with the Cayman platform so they will be able to spot chassis damage, if it has been clipped, etc. Check every single electronic device and function in the car.

I like the Cayman and the Boxster. Especially love the Lapis Blue color. Good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Oct 17 2018, 01:42 PM
Post #3

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

That's a deal Rob if PPI checks out. You can bring it to my house and I can test drive it for you...for 2-3 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Seriously...nice car

Oscar
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 17 2018, 02:29 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 17 2018, 12:38 PM) *

Check the drain holes around the body. My brother-in-law's car flooded because of a blocked drain hole and did a lot of electrical damage. Also see if you can find any indication as to the damage resulting in the total loss status resulting in the salvage title. I would make sure the PPI is done by someone very familiar with the Cayman platform so they will be able to spot chassis damage, if it has been clipped, etc. Check every single electronic device and function in the car.

I like the Cayman and the Boxster. Especially love the Lapis Blue color. Good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I tested every circuit....even the heated seats which are nice.

Looks like a front collision from the Carfax. Current California registration up until 7-2019.

So new headlights. Opened up the frunk...but didn't peel the perlon back to look how the fix was made. Price has me a little scared but the seller is willing to do a PPI so all is good as far as I am concerned. Plan to download the Computer for fault codes and over revs for sure. I'll take pics on Friday.
+Quote Post
My 914
post Oct 17 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #5

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

I had a Cayman for three and a half years and loved it. This sounds like a great deal if the car checks out. You're getting a lot of sports car for the money.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 17 2018, 04:05 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I didn't realize you can get a Cayman for less than 20 grand now...wow.

Interesting when looking at them on eBay, one will be $17K and the auction right above will have a brand new for $100K , I know you cannot really compare them directly when 10 years apart.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 17 2018, 04:34 PM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

How many miles on the car? Is this an estate sale? Could it just have been broken panels that exceeded the value to fix and paint? Salvage titles are weird.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 17 2018, 05:37 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 17 2018, 03:34 PM) *

How many miles on the car? Is this an estate sale? Could it just have been broken panels that exceeded the value to fix and paint? Salvage titles are weird.

80k on the miles....well driven I notion.

That's what I figure Kevin. The insurance co bought it back afterward and then resold it at 17.5k on the wholesale market, so I notion the front clip only. I know more once I get underneath it.

Been looking for a blue one for a while and they are rare. Tons of Guards Red, Black ect. but blue is rare.

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 17 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 18 2018, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 17 2018, 03:34 PM) *

80k on the miles....well driven I notion.

That's what I figure Kevin. The insurance co bought it back afterward and then resold it at 17.5k on the wholesale market, so I notion the front clip only. I know more once I get underneath it.

Been looking for a blue one for a while and they are rare. Tons of Guards Red, Black ect. but blue is rare.

Total mass produced model like the Boxster hell they are even cheap in my country,all these cars are tanking in value as they made so many,not sure if the boxster engine issues carried over to these but certainly worth a educated PPI including full scan,good luck.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Oct 17 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,986

I'm looking at a 986 Boxster at the moment.
Great value in a sportscar.

It seems many enthusiasts would run away from a salvage title, but if the car is in good shape and fixed correctly it wouldn't be a bad deal; just don't expect to get your money back if you sell it.

I believe the Cayman had an updated version of the dreaded IMS bearing so it may not be as much a problem as with the 986/996 but you should educate yourself anyway.
+Quote Post
Minerva's 914
post Oct 17 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,489
Region Association: South East States

I bought a 1998 Boxster with a blown engine that I upgraded to a 911 motor, with the help of the folks at RennTech https://www.renntech.org/ a great resource for all technical issues Porsche related.

I now have a 2009 987.2 Boxster as my daily driver and I love the modern machinery. I'll never sell the 914, but love the Boxster.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 17 2018, 09:37 PM
Post #12

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

My DD is a 987.2 Cayman 2.9 with PDK that I bought new in 2009, 101K miles on it and the porsche tech says the engine is just getting started (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif). I've never owned a car for more than 3 years before getting sick of it, and after nearly 10 with this one, I don't think I'll ever sell it. You'll love owning a Cayman. Surprisingly great in the snow, too...though I don't suppose that matters in SoCal.

If it were me, I'd consider a 987.2. Though they're harder to find, similar mileage 2.9s can be had for just a few thou more than you're about to pay, especially factoring new front rotors, and you won't have to ever worry about the IMS bearing or dealing with salvage title concerns. The S is around 20K. I don't think the difference is worth it unless you plan on tracking the car. It's a half-second faster (10%) 0-60, but the handling is identical.

That said, you can't go too far wrong with any Cayman for 13.5K. Good luck and post some pics when you have em!
+Quote Post
don-6
post Oct 17 2018, 09:57 PM
Post #13

Stock vs Modified?

Member No.: 17,219
Region Association: Southwest Region

Rob, you might want to look at finance and insurance before purchasing.
Some companies don't want to deal with salvage title cars.
Years ago I had a credit union refuse to finance a 911 purchase because of the salvage.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 17 2018, 10:19 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

QUOTE(don-6 @ Oct 17 2018, 08:57 PM) *

Rob, you might want to look at finance and insurance before purchasing.
Some companies don't want to deal with salvage title cars.
Years ago I had a credit union refuse to finance a 911 purchase because of the salvage.

Cash deal....selling some equities....my broker said okay...lol.

Called AAA on the insurance and no problem since it is already passed smog and registered in Cali.

Missed you and your better half at Rennsport. Hope yours is feeling better.

I'll bring it to the Early 911 meet up if all checks out.

+Quote Post
Racer
post Oct 18 2018, 06:18 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

if you are springing for a PPI, may want to also spring for an oil change.. this way you can see if there are any contaminants in the oil filter. I've had friends with 986/996 cars (shared engine) and checking for small bits of plastic and metal are key.

while perhaps a little less known, it seems around 100K miles, the plastic chain tensioner pads tend to wear out and need replacing (much like on 16V 944s/968s). From what I've heard, there are multiple tensioners, and to access one of them is easiest with the engine removed.

And yes, while the 987.1 has an improved IMS, its also the harder one to update.

Water pump, engine mounts etc should be checked as well.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Oct 18 2018, 07:19 AM
Post #16

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

You know times have changed when you see Boxsters and Caymans as daily drivers with 914's being the weekend car of choice...love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I had a Boxster S 15 years ago...miss it..great car. Cayman S would be fun but just no room right now. All of these cars are fine if properly cared for and maintained by reputable shops.

Go get it Rob!!!

Oscar

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 18 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #17

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 18 2018, 08:18 AM) *

if you are springing for a PPI, may want to also spring for an oil change.. this way you can see if there are any contaminants in the oil filter. I've had friends with 986/996 cars (shared engine) and checking for small bits of plastic and metal are key.

while perhaps a little less known, it seems around 100K miles, the plastic chain tensioner pads tend to wear out and need replacing (much like on 16V 944s/968s). From what I've heard, there are multiple tensioners, and to access one of them is easiest with the engine removed.

And yes, while the 987.1 has an improved IMS, its also the harder one to update.

Water pump, engine mounts etc should be checked as well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'd want a code check, cam deviation is the #1 thing to look at, also ING/2 (over-rev), O2 sensors, misfire, etc.
I build MY96/97 engines, my Durametric pro (for code check) is a important piece of kit and a minimum any good P-shop should have. Generic code readers don't cut it for Porsche.
Water pump every 5 years, plastic impeller only, correct coolant.
Change to a low temp T-stat.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 18 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #18

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I'm about ready to look for a clean Boxster with a known bad engine. I sold some parts to a member that has one with a Subaru engine in it. Throw a JDM flavor at it and call it a day.
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Oct 18 2018, 11:13 AM
Post #19

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

man, thats a great deal! Ive been looking for a 987 (1or2) and I wouldve jumped at that too...

+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 18 2018, 01:58 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

The risk factor of these cars is overrated in my view—but it's no surprise that it is, given the consequences if one gets stung. We had a 1999 Boxster (supposedly the worst) that we bought with 60,000 miles in 2005 and drove to 100,000 miles. My brother bought it from us in 2008~ and still has it, now with 220,000 miles on the original engine (which got an RMS at 30,000 miles under warranty). Still pulls beautifully, handles fantastically, and sounds better than any new Porsche save a GT3.

As for the Cayman S in question...those M97 3.4 cars are wonderful to drive; I prefer their sound to the 9A1 3.4 that came after, and the chassis is sublime. A risk worth taking, I think, particularly if the salvage title came as the result of a high cost to fix but a good fix came anyway.

Have fun!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:57 AM