Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Yeah, I'm still a newbie. – Warning light question
Tdskip
post Nov 2 2018, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

So I did search on this but did not find in answer, so what the heck, thought I'd ask...

I am starting to use that 1973 1.7 car that I bought on Bring a Trailer and so far so good. My gas gauge is showing half a tank but the orange light next to the pointer remains illuminated. I'm assuming this is my low fuel warning light after checking the diagrams but would like to doublecheck.

Thanks for all of the help.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tdskip
post Nov 7 2018, 07:32 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Just to close this out-I put fuel in the tank yesterday and you could hear her that the tank was basically empty, so you guys nailed it that I should trust the light over the needle indicator.

Thanks for the tip on what I can do to potentially address this George, you and the rest the people here have been just outstanding in the support you provide the community. Thank you
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 7 2018, 10:25 AM
Post #3

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 7 2018, 09:32 AM) *

...I should trust the light over the needle indicator.

I don't trust either. When the tank gets to 1/2 empty I fill up. The sender is a linear resistor but the tank volume is not linear from top to bottom. The top of the tank is much larger than the bottom of the tank. Below 1/2 tank on the gauge the fuel level drops quicker.

As mentioned above, remove the sender from the tank, remove the cover and inspect. There are a couple of very thin wires which are the resistor that runs from the top to the bottom of the sender. These may need cleaned. The float needs to move effortlessly up and down on these wires. Be careful as the wires can be damaged very easily. A new sender is > $100 on Pelican.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:17 AM