Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suspension console replacement
Tdskip
post Nov 4 2018, 10:00 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Hi guys - there’s been some discussion hear about the car that may/may not need a suspension console replaced.

I’m not actually looking at that car, but it didn’t raise a question about what that costs to have a professional do it.

I know costs were very by regions etc., but is there a ball park just for educational purposes?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 4 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If the inner one is bad, the outer one usually needs work. Often the engine mount and long have issues.So it's hard to give an average answer. $2,500-5K?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 4 2018, 10:45 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2018, 08:29 AM) *

If the inner one is bad, the outer one usually needs work. Often the engine mount and long have issues.So it's hard to give an average answer. $2,500-5K?

I would agree with that estimate to do it correctly there is a bunch of layers. The above is what I would charge.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Nov 4 2018, 01:04 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Thank you for the response, that's actually more than I would've expected. My being surprised is a reflection of my not knowing exactly how much work is involved, I can see how having to get through a couple sections and then put them all back correctly on a jig would take a ton of effort.

Thanks for the education and have a good rest of your weekend.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 4 2018, 02:45 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 4 2018, 02:04 PM) *

Thank you for the response, that's actually more than I would've expected. My being surprised is a reflection of my not knowing exactly how much work is involved, I can see how having to get through a couple sections and then put them all back correctly on a jig would take a ton of effort.

Thanks for the education and have a good rest of your weekend.

The surgery to remove the consoles takes time. The outer console must be rebuilt because there isn’t a resto design piece made (yet). Same with the engine mount. Then a lot of careful welding because placement is critical. Cary is doing it now on Taylor’s car. He probably can quote hours to do the repair.

If the passenger side tire is leaning in more than the driver side, there’s a very strong chance the inner suspension console is failing. Shocks and springs usually fail at the same time and the adjustment doesn’t change on its own. The console rusts from the inside out when battery acid is washed down from rain and fills up the hollow mount. The drain is often clogged shut. Dealer undercoating would often do this from day 1. So the metal rusts and gets thinner and weaker. The mounts starts to fail but looks ok from the outside.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Nov 4 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2018, 03:45 PM) *

The surgery to remove the consoles takes time. The outer console must be rebuilt because there isn’t a resto design piece made (yet). Same with the engine mount. Then a lot of careful welding because placement is critical. Cary is doing it now on Taylor’s car. He probably can quote hours to do the repair.

If the passenger side tire is leaning in more than the driver side, there’s a very strong chance the inner suspension console is failing. Shocks and springs usually fail at the same time and the adjustment doesn’t change on its own. The console rusts from the inside out when battery acid is washed down from rain and fills up the hollow mount. The drain is often clogged shut. Dealer undercoating would often do this from day 1. So the metal rusts and gets thinner and weaker. The mounts starts to fail but looks ok from the outside.

Yikes!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 4 2018, 07:02 PM
Post #7

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Or you pickup Tangerine racings suspension pickup point raising kit. And be done, if you like a lower car.

Wonder why Chris never made a stock height unit. The pickup points are substantial. he even includes a jig, but both of my cars are off by a tad bit, one is off way more than the other.

The -6 is off by 2mm, livable. Can make that adjustment with alignment settings.

My EG Conversion chassis is WAY OFF, like a bolt width OFF (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Guess it is a good thing I am replacing it with the kit. Not sure why it is that far off, I never had an issue aligning that side. It is the inner ear that is off. Outer is fine

I did one a long time ago on a different 914. Took me about a month of weekends to get it done. Also did a hell hole repair, battery tray, inner firewall, and the seal channel at the same time.

As other have pointed out it takes a lot of work to drill out all the spot welds, and getting back one layer at a time. I think the engine mount had over 40 holes. And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Nov 4 2018, 09:57 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 15,057
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 4 2018, 09:00 AM) *

Hi guys - there’s been some discussion hear about the car that may/may not need a suspension console replaced.

I’m not actually looking at that car, but it didn’t raise a question about what that costs to have a professional do it.

I know costs were very by regions etc., but is there a ball park just for educational purposes?

Thanks!

I’d agree with all the responses, $2500 - $5000 depending on how much steel is bad inside the longitudinal. Best bet is to get a boroscope inside the longitudinal from the jack point back. A number of these pieces and the outer consoles aren’t made, so the repair requires smart surgery so you can gain access, repair what you need to, and the install replacement consoles as well as the heavy plate tie plates that join the inner and outer consoles over the box sections bottom seam. The surgery to remove the console without damaging the good requires planning and patience to make a good repair and not a hack. There is more surgery on a donor car just to harvest the parts you need as there are pieces you just can’t get from RD, AA, Dansk, or Stoddard.
The engine has to be out and there usually is rust at the inner firewall, hell hole, and jack point that needs attention at the same time. Once you start one, you’re almost committed to a significant structural restoration, so it needs to be a worthwhile car, or you should find a good tub and move everything over onto the better tub. Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
housepumpinpc
post Jan 5 2019, 12:30 PM
Post #9

Give me time... I'll fix it eventually.

Member No.: 17,323

Been there done that. My car sat for 4 years. I think I asked what part that was. Was going to try to fix it myself but I didn't want to screw up the alignment. I ended up going to Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd. Charged me $600 more or less(had some other work done). I'll try to find my before pictures and yes you had better be right with those dimensions...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
housepumpinpc
post Jan 5 2019, 12:39 PM
Post #10

Give me time... I'll fix it eventually.

Member No.: 17,323

Oh and if need be, I bought the console pads from a cut up vehicle that I didn't use. Don't have the inner console but I do believe that you can buy that new. The pads... not so much although, Tangerine Racing has the replacement weldelets for reasonable. I also agree that the donor car part(s) has to be meticulously disassembled or it's trash.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 5 2019, 12:53 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

the inner is not so bad, suspension console and engine shelf, after removing the engine. We charge 1500 plus the two parts that we make, along with the two reinforcements between the inner and outer suspension console. Where it gets expensive is when the rest of the area is rusted, then we are replacing the battery tray and support repairing the back wall, repairing or replacing the inner fender well replacing the outer support if necessary and sandblasting and painting the area. THEN we have cleaning up the engine compartment while the engine is out, and anything the engine needs.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jan 5 2019, 02:09 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

Having cut through that section it's not as bad as I thought.

Because the console hangs from the back of the long it is not technically structural. This is not saying it's not important to make sure it's reinstalled correctly, just saying the car won't fold in half if you miss a weld point.

If you have the time to salvage the part and take the correct measurements before you start and while installing, it could be done by an average welder in a weekend.

+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jan 5 2019, 03:31 PM
Post #13

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 4 2018, 08:02 PM) *

Wonder why Chris never made a stock height unit.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
I hadn't thought of that before, but it bears a close look, thanks.

I estimate ten hours labor per console to replace or repair, plus parts.
I estimate installation labor of my raised suspension kit at 20 hours, or - half the time to do a stock repair.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 5 2019, 05:52 PM
Post #14

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Chris you're more than welcome, you solution is so stout and simple, it just made sense to me.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:21 PM