Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 GT 3.2 conversion, Need some form of heat
SKI-HI
post Nov 8 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,274
Region Association: Canada

I recently bought a 1972 914 3.2 conversion with 915 transmission. Its the third 914 and the 11th Porsche that i've owned.The car was professionally built about 18 to 20 years ago and at that time they made a few choices .
They used headers,no HE,and ran the steel braided lines for the front oil cooler from the engine through the right hand heater duct to the frunk.
I live in the mountains and it cools off at night and I need to restore some heat to the cabin .
So the long and the short of it does anyone have any experience running an HE on one side only ? I don't need to melt my shoes but I do need a noticeable flow . The rest of the fresh air system is still intact.
Any experience, suggestions ,or tips would be greatly appreciated !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
amfab
post Nov 8 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,004
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 8 2018, 08:25 PM) *

I recently bought a 1972 914 3.2 conversion with 915 transmission. Its the third 914 and the 11th Porsche that i've owned.The car was professionally built about 18 to 20 years ago and at that time they made a few choices .
They used headers,no HE,and ran the steel braided lines for the front oil cooler from the engine through the right hand heater duct to the frunk.
I live in the mountains and it cools off at night and I need to restore some heat to the cabin .
So the long and the short of it does anyone have any experience running an HE on one side only ? I don't need to melt my shoes but I do need a noticeable flow . The rest of the fresh air system is still intact.
Any experience, suggestions ,or tips would be greatly appreciated !

I don't know if he will do just one, but Ben's HEs are very well made
See Www.914-6werkshop.com
-Andrew
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Nov 8 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

And you'd likely want to do a bit of re-plumbing behind the dash such that you could get that heat coming in on just one side (from one heat exchanger) to be split to both sides of the cabin.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Nov 8 2018, 10:17 PM
Post #4

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Why dont you just use a heated seat cover (cig plug) and heated steering wheel cover ?

+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 8 2018, 10:46 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I’m running a 3.2 with Bens heat exchangers. They produce excellent heat and are the right size for a 3.2. I would recommend running both sides like the factory. The factory fan does not put out a lot of air, so running both sides will make a difference.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 8 2018, 10:46 PM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Sounds like a nice car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 9 2018, 12:19 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 9 2018, 05:17 PM) *

Why dont you just use a heated seat cover (cig plug) and heated steering wheel cover ?

Another brilliant answer,nice warm ass and not much else...we will now resume to sensible replies.....hopefully (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
SKI-HI
post Nov 9 2018, 12:50 AM
Post #8

Ben's products look like they are excellent quality and the size would flow well with the 3.2. In order to run both sides i'd have to re -route the oil lines that are currently in the right duct .
I 'll try and post some pictures later. Very happy with the car it was built with the chassis stiffening,GT sway bars, Bilstein suspension , Carrera brakes and most important its a blast to drive !
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Nov 9 2018, 05:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 9 2018, 01:50 AM) *

Ben's products look like they are excellent quality and the size would flow well with the 3.2. In order to run both sides i'd have to re -route the oil lines that are currently in the right duct .
I 'll try and post some pictures later. Very happy with the car it was built with the chassis stiffening,GT sway bars, Bilstein suspension , Carrera brakes and most important its a blast to drive !

Pictures may tell more of the story but it seems the best solution would be Bens
heat exchangers after re-plumbing the oil delivery/return.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 9 2018, 06:15 AM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 9 2018, 06:57 AM) *

QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 9 2018, 01:50 AM) *

Pictures may tell more of the story but it seems the best solution would be Bens
heat exchangers after re-plumbing the oil delivery/return.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) steel braided lines and a/n fitting are pretty easy to take apart and re-plumb. Especially if you are pulling off the headers. Drill 1” holes in the door sill supports behind the rocker covers and you are most of the way there. With both HE’s on the car, it will be very comfortable to drive in cold weather.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 9 2018, 06:20 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

OP I offer GT copies of the hardlines that may help you as well. As to my heatexchangers we have sold 65ish sets mostly to world members and there has been very positive feedback. We build them now for each client so not a sitting on the shelf item.

Also note my website is under a complete reconstruction and should be done by the end of the month and be able to high light our products even better.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 9 2018, 06:22 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Here is a special set made for a couple of members here. Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 9 2018, 09:00 AM
Post #13

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 9 2018, 01:19 AM) *

Another brilliant answer,nice warm ass and not much else...we will now resume to sensible replies.....hopefully (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I put in heated seat pads from 914rubber.com. they are nice and long and cover the whole seated surface and the back , I did it when I did the seat kits, wired to my center console . there is a high and low setting , they work great. I don't need them much but its nice to have. Talk to Mark or Matt. Reasonable price.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 9 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 9 2018, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 9 2018, 01:19 AM) *

I put in heated seat pads from 914rubber.com. they are nice and long and cover the whole seated surface and the back , I did it when I did the seat kits, wired to my center console . there is a high and low setting , they work great. I don't need them much but its nice to have. Talk to Mark or Matt. Reasonable price.

Phillip - you are in SC. The OP is in Canada. Your winter is his summer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Nov 9 2018, 09:11 AM
Post #15

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 8 2018, 09:17 PM) *

Not gonna defrost too well. I have the same issue. Headers with a 3.2. First snow fall last night. The Porsches are officially landlocked in the garage. Thinking about one of Ben's heat exchangers Or a cabin heater with diesel.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 9 2018, 09:53 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Save yourself a lot of grief and headaches and just spring for Ben’s heat exchangers - best solution out there. You’ll love the heat output and defrosting.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Nov 9 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

Ahh the advantages of having a cooling system (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
SKI-HI
post Nov 9 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #18

I appreciate the heated seat comments and living in Canada have retrofit them to several cars over the years.My 914 has Scheel style seats that have been recovered in leather with pneumatic lumbar supports ,very comfortable and warm.
This car is summer driven only and the issue is how do you keep your windows clear when you're caught in a heavy shower and the temperature drops .
My wife would also appreciate some heat in the cabin . She tolerated the two Caterham Super 7 's I've owned !
Just to refresh the question ,has anyone been able to make the heating system work with a heat exchanger on one side only ?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 9 2018, 10:48 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 9 2018, 08:13 AM) *

I appreciate the heated seat comments and living in Canada have retrofit them to several cars over the years.My 914 has Scheel style seats that have been recovered in leather with pneumatic lumbar supports ,very comfortable and warm.
This car is summer driven only and the issue is how do you keep your windows clear when you're caught in a heavy shower and the temperature drops .
My wife would also appreciate some heat in the cabin . She tolerated the two Caterham Super 7 's I've owned !
Just to refresh the question ,has anyone been able to make the heating system work with a heat exchanger on one side only ?

There just won't be enough heat that way..

If your looking for a cheap set of heat exchangers I have an original set that I rebuilt would sell cheap
+Quote Post
SKI-HI
post Nov 9 2018, 01:54 PM
Post #20

Thanks Ben and everyone else that participated. I just wanted to explore all posibilites before I came to the obvious ( expensive ) conclusion. Our exchange rate is brutal at this time !
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:28 AM