Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Show me your dead pedal
TravisNeff
post Nov 24 2018, 11:45 PM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Jeff is egging me on to get moving forward with this. I got my seat mounted in the car and can start to get a feel for where this needs to be. Chris Foley's & the GT car dead pedal looks to be in the right spot for oh shit moments. But looking at Lawrence's pedal (the carpet) you can see where the foot normally rests for regular use. Which is lower and more to the left.

I could do a small pedal and weld it in. I am thinking to make this cantilevered out past the radius of the wheel tub just a touch. This would put the dead pedal a little closer to the clutch. My only worry that if i get it too close it is going to be a pain in the ass when driving around. i have wide feet/shoes so I better think about it.

Then What to do with the area between the line cover pedal described above. I could just run without carpet and put some skateboard grip tape on the area. Or I could try to do some sort of transition piece between the cover and the dead pedal. I am thinking less is more here.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 25 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have cars with both types of dead pedals, but prefer the factory style over the aluminum one as it seems to feel more comfortable. I also have large, wide feet and need every inch of room. Actually, removing my shoes for driving seems to work best and I can then get my left foot between the dead pedal and behind the clutch pedal to rest my leg on long interstate drives.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 25 2018, 10:54 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I'll probably be changing out this low cast aluminum dead pedal for the Sierra Madre/original style DP soon.

This style works, but only does half the job.

Also, I find that a dead pedal is helpful for getting in and out of the car.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 25 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #44

914 Guru

Looking at your Lawrence, I think I see some of why they designed it the way that they did. I think that it was meant to be a little higher (where you have the most wear on your carpet) And that flange at the bottom is so that your feet can rest on the floor and not interfere with the pedal unless you are ready to stomp on it.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 25 2018, 11:54 AM
Post #45

914 Guru

So I got my seat in the car and farted around with the oil line covers. The first one I made (they grey one) is much more comfortable than the shorter second one I made.

I think I will try some trimming of the second one to get it a little closer to the wheel tub. I am afraid to cut it up, but it wasn't all too hard to make - just takes time

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 25 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #46

914 Guru

I trimmed the 2nd oil line cover so that it is closer to the wheel well. Feels better. I also cut and bent some reliefs against where it will mate on the floor. I better make sure the lines still fit behind it. Then onto the dead pedal

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
worn
post Nov 25 2018, 01:28 PM
Post #47

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Maybe you racers can chime in. They pulled the long toggle switches from Jaguar E types due to safety concerns. So much for the feeling of being a jet pilot. I have a few homemade modifications in the cabin and wonder how much we should be avoiding sharp edges or padding things. What areas of the car are of concern? Curious because I have often wanted a dead pedal. Normally in auto cross I have my left foot planted on the wheel well as tight as I can.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 25 2018, 01:49 PM
Post #48

914 Guru

Grabbed a piece of scrap and started bending. Hard to see from the pic but it has a pronounced dead pedal at the top and a slope below it for resting you foot. This would be wider and more inboard, just getting an idea to think about.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Nov 25 2018, 02:06 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

Keep it simple. A piece of flat aluminum bent as shown, secured with 4 self threading screws. and a piece of step-anti-slip material that comes with adhesive (Home Depot).

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 25 2018, 02:55 PM
Post #50

914 Guru

I have some skateboard grip tape left over from another project.

I cut up some more metal. not liking it so much, but I do like the pronounced dead pedal piece.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 25 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #51

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

You need to have the clutch pedal at working height so you can make the dead pedal exactly parallel, or as close as possible - so there's only sideways movement of the foot required to engage the pedal. Then you need the footrest far enough a way so your foot is fully off the clutch, and a side stop so your foot can't get too far away.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:10 PM