Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 10Krpm / 6-cyl chrome dot tach build, DIY conversion from early -4 donor tach
Retroracer
post Nov 17 2018, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So this post builds on, and references Tim’s (timothy_nd28) awesome post here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...719&hl=tach

…which details the steps necessary to improve the original VDO tach performance and provide better transient and damping response, coupled with a more universal input. If you’re not familiar with this DIY tach upgrade, best read that first.

Given the flexibility and performance upgrade of retrofitting the SunPro/Bosch innards into the VDO casing, I took on the challenge of seeing if a 10K racing tach could be constructed around an early 914-4 tach housing – with a target cost of $100. Read on if this piques your interest; move on if you don’t think this sort of thing is necessary or sensible.

A 10K tachometer was an essential part of the GT cars (and other Porsche race cars too), which typically had no redline area indicated under the glass, such that the actual redline could be indicated with a marker or tape, to suit the particular engine build being run for that event. Original 10K VDO units appear for sale occasionally, but the prices are usually prohibitive.

Attached Image

I ordered the Bosch version of the SunPro via Amazon, and disassembled it using Tim's post as suggested:

Attached Image

Attached Image

There is some metal fabrication necessary to get the donor VDO fascia to mate up to the new core. This is not difficult, the only thing you may not have around is the M2 tap.

Attached Image

Getting the right fascia: So I toyed with idea of using a drawing or graphics package to replicate the 10K tach face, then somehow print a design on to vinyl, trim it, then glue that over the existing -4 face. Then I realized that I was never going to get round to doing that, so looked at other options.

I ended up buying a printed and finished insert fascia from these guys:

https://www.heiler-tachodesign.de/Tachomete...ithout-red-Area

Not a cheap way to get a result, but they a) offer multiple choices to match various Porsche VDO tachs and other gauges, b) the quality of the fit, paint and graphics are exemplary and c) without the talent and tools for “rolling your own”, there are very few other options. They also allow you to pick custom colors and lettering if you so desire. It took about 2 weeks to arrive, I also ordered a 914-6 style temp gauge replacement at the same time, total cost for both gauge faces including shipping was about $93.

Attached Image

So, $100 target blown already - the tach core is around $35 - but still in the ball park.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 03:38 PM