Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fan housing, What’s the best way to clean and paint one.
jsaum
post Nov 24 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,809
Region Association: None

I’m disassembling a 1.7 parts car engine and want to paint the fan housing for a future engine build. After a couple of hours of scrubbing and cleaning I can see metal underneath all of the caked on grease and oil! What’s the best next step cleaning and prepping process before paint? Is oven cleaner ok to use?

Thanks,
Jsaum

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Nov 24 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #2

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Have it tumble blasted, but do not paint. Anything that will inhibit heat dissipation should be avoided on air-cooled motors.

This one was tumble blasted and has returned to its original magnesium finish to tarnish again over time.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 24 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 24 2018, 06:00 PM) *

Have it tumble blasted, but do not paint. Anything that will inhibit heat dissipation should be avoided on air-cooled motors.

This one was tumble blasted and has returned to its original magnesium finish to tarnish again over time.

Now I've learned something new today. Had to Google that one. Can you explain the benefit of tumble blasting as opposed to something like walnut blasting?
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Nov 24 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #4

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 24 2018, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 24 2018, 06:00 PM) *

Now I've learned something new today. Had to Google that one. Can you explain the benefit of tumble blasting as opposed to something like walnut blasting?

As per one of the tumbler manufacturer's website, "In tumble-blast batch processing machines, all surfaces of components are exposed to impact treatment as the parts gently turn over and over in a slowly rotating tilted basket.
This design virtually eliminates component damage due to part-on-part impingement that is so common with “barrel-blast” machines. Our tilted basket generates greater circulation of components in the batch, which not only yields more thorough and uniform coverage, but also makes for a shorter blast cycle – typically five minutes or less!"

My local supplier did not disclose the type of media used, however upon completion of the process, the pores of the magnesium are left closed. No need to seal it with clear or paint.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 24 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #5

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Easy-Off Oven Cleaner works well. And don't paint it.
+Quote Post
jsaum
post Nov 24 2018, 09:31 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 24 2018, 05:00 PM) *

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

That looks great.
+Quote Post
rstover
post Nov 25 2018, 05:40 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,785
Region Association: Southwest Region

It is my understanding that cerakote will no hinder heat dissipation. This is a picture of one that I had cerakoted. I don't remember the color.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 25 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Cerikote is good stuff. I’m not sure the fan housing gets hot. Isn’t it’s purpose to bring in fresh air? If so, it shouldn’t be getting hot.
+Quote Post
rstover
post Nov 25 2018, 06:25 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,785
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2018, 06:04 PM) *

Cerikote is good stuff. I’m not sure the fan housing gets hot. Isn’t it’s purpose to bring in fresh air? If so, it shouldn’t be getting hot.

Some had mentioned not to paint or powder coat because heat would not dissipate. The cerakote to me is a good option. I believe there are many applications where cerakote is a very good option. I was shown the booth where he applied it and it had some serious fan and filter, it must be very toxic to apply.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 25 2018, 06:36 PM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(rstover @ Nov 25 2018, 07:25 PM) *

Some had mentioned not to paint or powder coat because heat would not dissipate. The cerakote to me is a good option. I believe there are many applications where cerakote is a very good option. I was shown the booth where he applied it and it had some serious fan and filter, it must be very toxic to apply.

Yes, you need a good respirator.
+Quote Post
jsaum
post Nov 25 2018, 10:40 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2018, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(rstover @ Nov 25 2018, 07:25 PM) *

Yes, you need a good respirator.

I googled it and found a shop a few miles away from me. I’ll give them a call and see how much they charge.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 26 2018, 07:28 AM
Post #12

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

It's an impeller (fan) housing and IMHO heat dissipation isn't a critical concern.

I've media blasted and painted several without a discernible change in engine temps.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 26 2018, 08:24 AM
Post #13

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Nov 26 2018, 08:28 AM) *

It's an impeller (fan) housing and IMHO heat dissipation isn't a critical concern.

I've media blasted and painted several without a discernible change in engine temps.

I agree, I have seen no increase in temp issue with my newly powdercoated fan housing, but powdercoating is thick and may effect the continuity of the ground for the alternator( I am having this issue) But temps are not an issue(oil or head temps)

Phil
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 26 2018, 08:57 AM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Nov 26 2018, 08:28 AM) *

That's what I thought. Mag is a pretty reactive metal and I wonder if paining actually increases its lifespan by slowing down corrosion.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 26 2018, 09:20 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

totally agree no paint, will flake off after a while and look like crap. Also Porsche painted the sheetmetal black to dissipate the heat better than any other color

quote name='914_7T3' date='Nov 24 2018, 06:00 PM' post='2668357']

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
[/quote]
+Quote Post
914werke
post Nov 26 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #16

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Nov 26 2018, 05:28 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) James do whatever will protect it.

If you want to shortcut the process I have both early & late housing already finished.

BTW the Impeller housing was never bare as delivered. It WAS covered with some coating that gave it a slight iridescent gold color from the factory
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 26 2018, 10:41 AM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 26 2018, 11:32 AM) *

If you want to shortcut the process I have both early & late housing already finished.

BTW the Impeller housing was never bare as delivered. It WAS covered with some coating that gave it a slight iridescent gold color from the factory

Probably the same as the trans.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 26 2018, 10:53 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 26 2018, 08:41 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 26 2018, 11:32 AM) *

Probably the same as the trans.

Yep.

Probably some type of conversion coating that was found later to be environmentally un friendly later on. Only a quess.

I know enough about metallurgy to be dangerous.

+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 26 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #19

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I've used clear engine paint, and a Dupli-Color cast metal paint with good results. I like powder coating, but getting a jobber that can do quality work with a detailed cast alloy part like this would be the key.

Any coating can come off over time. It's usually the next 5-10 years that matter.

If I went through the trouble and expense of getting one all cleaned up and tumble blasted or whatever, I'd put a protective coating on it. The magnesium alloy should be protected, IMHO.

I think the factory used some type of Cosmoline like coating, but I've been wrong many times before.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 26 2018, 01:45 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Nov 26 2018, 12:26 PM) *

I think the factory used some type of Cosmoline like coating, but I've been wrong many times before.

I don't know why, but I researched this when I started my resto. The stuff they used was Tectyl 846 which pretty much looks like Cosmoline to me. Like Cosmoline, I expect it to melt off and be gone in the first couple hundred miles. I think it was intended pretty much just to protect during shipping. Here's what it looks like on my block.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1492440261.jpg)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:13 AM