Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hand Brake Handle, Which would you buy?
bbrock
post Dec 4 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Okay, here's an interesting (to me anyway) dilemma. Looks like there are two options for replacing the plastic handle on the hand brake lever: URO or Genuine Porsche. But there is a twist. Price is similar and I actually found the best price on the Genuine Porsche part. Difference is the Porsche part appears to have a slight matte finish:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s3.amazonaws.com-20845-1543947461.1.jpg)

Whereas the URO part looks glossy more like the original one:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/cdn.weblinkauto.com-20845-1543947461.2.jpg)

I'm curious which one you all would use if trying to keep the car original. I'm leaning toward Genuine Porsche for price, OEM, and because I actually prefer the matte finish. But is this a rare case where going Genuine Porsche actually sullies originality? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
defianty
post Dec 4 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

I bought the matte one for mine and it looks good but I was a bit disappointed in it not being the same finish as the original. Had I know that URO was available at the time I may have gone for that instead.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 4 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

IMHO most URO stuff is trash!

Go with Genuine - especially if about the same price.

Also IIRC & AFAIK they all were originally a bit matte for grip, but years of use shines them up!

Even if not as per your original, the URO will probably split - based on similar "plastic rubber" parts of theirs - sometimes on installation!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 4 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Thanks Tom,

This is even one of those rare times when Genuine is actually the cheaper option. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Dec 4 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(defianty @ Dec 4 2018, 10:37 AM) *

I bought the matte one for mine and it looks good but I was a bit disappointed in it not being the same finish as the original. Had I know that URO was available at the time I may have gone for that instead.

Maybe matte was the original finish and they have all been shined up by years of use? Have you seen a virgin untouched original? I am sure that I have not.
Edit: What Tom said!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 5 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Dec 4 2018, 08:44 PM) *

Maybe matte was the original finish and they have all been shined up by years of use? Have you seen a virgin untouched original? I am sure that I have not.

Well that's the story I'm going to use now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) But if I'm being honest, I think the wear would probably be uneven and leave some traces of the old finish at least at the base which would get a lot less hand contact.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 5 2018, 12:19 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2018, 10:02 AM) *

Well that's the story I'm going to use now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) But if I'm being honest, I think the wear would probably be uneven and leave some traces of the old finish at least at the base which would get a lot less hand contact.

They were shiny from the start, not from wear.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Dec 9 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #8

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2018, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2018, 10:02 AM) *

They were shiny from the start, not from wear.

Yep!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 9 2018, 07:58 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Which brings us back to the philosophical question. What is more important for originality, the appearance, or the name of the manufacturer?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 9 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 9 2018, 08:58 PM) *

Which brings us back to the philosophical question. What is more important for originality, the appearance, or the name of the manufacturer?

Whichever you like best. Or get both and switch them out from time to time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Jan 24 2019, 11:23 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,288

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2018, 10:17 AM) *
I'm curious which one you all would use if trying to keep the car original.

If proper appearance is important, there's no question about it; our smooth handle was specifically developed to restore the original look. Naturally the current Genuine handle works fine, but the incorrect texture is obvious to anyone who knows the 911 and 914. And it's not as if Porsche is making the textured one - they're buying it from an outside manufacturer, so except for the label on the bag their handle isn't "OE" either.

PM us your shipping info bbrock and we'll send you one for your unvarnished review, and you can answer the question for future reference.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 24 2019, 02:37 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Jan 24 2019, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 4 2018, 10:17 AM) *
I'm curious which one you all would use if trying to keep the car original.

If proper appearance is important, there's no question about it; our smooth handle was specifically developed to restore the original look. Naturally the current Genuine handle works fine, but the incorrect texture is obvious to anyone who knows the 911 and 914. And it's not as if Porsche is making the textured one - they're buying it from an outside manufacturer, so except for the label on the bag their handle isn't "OE" either.

PM us your shipping info bbrock and we'll send you one for your unvarnished review, and you can answer the question for future reference.

PM sent! I just installed a new "Genuine" grip on the lever last week but didn't glue it down as I'm still on the fence. This will make for a nice comparison. Looking forward to posting a review.
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Feb 16 2019, 11:56 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,948

I have a NOS from 1995 new in bag
yepperz shiny as the Patman sayz..
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 18 2019, 01:24 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

I posted up a review of the URO vs. Porsche handles in the Garage: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=336894
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:39 PM