Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I have the 914 I want..., Do you?
jagalyn
post Dec 7 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #1

True Patina

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,503
Region Association: None

I have the 914 I want.

It is a 73 2.0 liter original car. It is not perfect. It has original paint. It runs great and drives great... and quite honestly, it is the perfect car... at least for me.

As I thought about this, I wondered about how many people really truly have the 914 that they want. So many seem to want something other than what they have... maybe a six, maybe a wide fendered car, maybe something with perfect paint, something modified, maybe something better than what they have... so how many are really satisfied with the car they have?

If you are satisfied with the car you have, post it here and tell us why?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 7 2018, 07:51 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I’m working toward satisfaction with my 6 - 914’s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 7 2018, 08:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Oh heck no in my case, but great tha you appreciate yours as much as you do!
+Quote Post
mobymutt
post Dec 7 2018, 10:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 16,770
Region Association: Canada

I'm satisfied with the fact that my car needs work! It's a hobby, so I guess that's the whole point.
+Quote Post
RickS
post Dec 7 2018, 11:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,880

After way too much $$$ on upgrades, I can confidently say I am happy with the 914 I have.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Dec 7 2018, 11:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

My black '73 /6 conversion isn't perfect, but I love it. It's reliable and it's fast. My girlfriend calls it my "real" girlfriend.

She's kinda right.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pursang
post Dec 7 2018, 11:40 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,386
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thirty years ago I wanted to get another sports car. My first car was a '59 Sprite that I reluctantly sold when I had to move to a new state for a job. I love(d) British cars. Tough to explain unless you've been there. I always loved the TR-3. I also liked the 914 ever since seeing it at the San Francisco Auto Show in 1969.

So, finally getting to the point, 30 years ago I could finally afford a sports car. I spent a few months buying the Auto Trader magazine. One issue had both a TR-3 and a 914. In either case; two seats, top down, fun car. The clincher was German vs British reliability. No contest. Love the teener. If I ever win the lottery though, I'm going to get that Triumph.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 7 2018, 11:54 PM
Post #8

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Definately have the one I want...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Dec 8 2018, 03:23 AM
Post #9

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

I don't know of another 914 that I would trade for.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 8 2018, 04:02 AM
Post #10

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

I recently sold one (the 'BB') that I was almost finished with ... needed a little more TLC cosmetically, but it ran great with a snotty 2.1L and hugged the corners real nice.

Black really isn't my favorite color, but I didn't think repainting it another color was a wise thing to do.

Attached Image

I have one more that I'm still working on that is getting pretty much the full treatment and will be 'the one' we will keep.

It's getting all new suspension components, turbo tie rods, PMB calipers, Zimmerman rotors, Bilstein shocks, a set of ATS Classics, a fresh F.I.'d 1.9L, 2.0L SS HEs, Bursch exhaust, a fresh THOMAS rebuilt transaxle, all new CVs, new paint, re-chromed bumpers with new tops, all new rubber seals and we're changing the interior from black to tan.

It won't be the hot rod the 'BB' was, but it'll still move down the road just fine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 8 2018, 06:43 AM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I think I have the perfect.914 for my caricature. I have owned hundreds of cars over the years. Everything from 500+ plus HP Street Machines to an array of British, European, trucks, custom vans and all types of cruisers. The Alien is a combination of them all in a way. Total sport car with the security of a real all weather top if you need it. Comfortable and reliable enough to jump in and roll on the throttle for an easy 1000 day. Ready for a quick fun track day. After all these years it still makes my pulse rise.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 8 2018, 09:46 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This is a trick question. Thirty-four years ago, I rolled into a parking lot to inspect what I thought would be a parts car for my first two 914s. What I found was the EXACT car I would have ordered from the dealer: a silver metallic 73 2.0 with performance equipment but not appearance group. I think the OP would approve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). It was also in very good shape other than the old rusted hell hole suspension mount. After a quick repair, I had exactly the 914 I wanted and enjoyed it very much. It wasn't long before Midwestern road salt and age took their toll and the car was well beyond patina. It fell into disuse and neglect. Now it's well on its way through a complete bare metal resto. The only mods being to bring it to European spec. Can't imagine ever wanting a different car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silver914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 8 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 7 2018, 05:51 PM) *

I’m working toward satisfaction with my 6 - 914’s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Same with me but I only have one six conversion. First with a 2.0 four than a 2.4 four then a 2.7 six and now a 3.2 with a 915 gear box. It’s a hobby car, never totally done or satisfied with it.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 8 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #14

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no satisfaction
'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try
I can't get no, I can't get no
When I'm drivin' in my car, and the man come on the radio
He's tellin' me more and more about some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination
I can't get no, oh, no, no, no, hey, hey, hey
That's what I say
I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no satisfaction
'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try
I can't get no, I can't get no
When I'm watchin' my TV and a man comes on and tells me
How white my shirts can be
But, he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me
I can't get no, oh, no, no, no, hey, hey, hey
That's what I say
I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no girl reaction
'Cause I…

Bob B (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
914bub
post Dec 8 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 16,260

The EXACT car I would have picked? Nah. I would have like a 73 2.0 litre but I got my 914 when I wasn't looking for one so I kind of had to take what I could get. I had wanted one since high school and in 2014 my friend inherited one that sat in a garage in Portland since 1990. At the time I owned a Volvo wagon that the same friend wanted me to sell him forever. It was a grey market 240 turbo. Really cool car but I paid $200 for the Volvo and drove it for almost 10 years so it seemed like a no-brainer.

The funny thing is I have an orange Manx style buggy that I've had since 1989. I didn't like the orange when I got that car but by the time my 914 arrived in tangerine I couldn't have asked for a better color. It has rust and a dent in the passenger door but it runs and it's mine! I put ATS classics on it so I could stare at something besides the dent in the door. My favorite wheels EVER.
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Dec 8 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 20,561

QUOTE(Pursang @ Dec 7 2018, 09:40 PM) *

Thirty years ago I wanted to get another sports car. My first car was a '59 Sprite that I reluctantly sold when I had to move to a new state for a job. I love(d) British cars. Tough to explain unless you've been there. I always loved the TR-3. I also liked the 914 ever since seeing it at the San Francisco Auto Show in 1969.

So, finally getting to the point, 30 years ago I could finally afford a sports car. I spent a few months buying the Auto Trader magazine. One issue had both a TR-3 and a 914. In either case; two seats, top down, fun car. The clincher was German vs British reliability. No contest. Love the teener. If I ever win the lottery though, I'm going to get that Triumph.

I was lucky enough to have had both. My mom bought a new 1957 TR3 and gave it to me in 1965. Drove it til I was drafted in 1968. Then bought the present 73 in 1981.

Greg W.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Dec 8 2018, 08:25 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Nope, I dont have the 914 I want !!! But in a couple months I will after a little cutting and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Dec 8 2018, 09:01 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

My first car many years ago was a Bugeye Sprite which I drove for 12 yrs. until the rust caused the passenger side door to fall off. Now many cars and years later I paid my Dad $1 (as original owner) in 2002 for his '73 914 which was in all original condition but needed some work after sitting for more than 10 yrs. It is certainly a hobby car, but because of the family history it will never be sold in my lifetime, at least not as long as I can still drive! That original condition is a blessing as well as a curse, I am committed to keeping "her"(named Dad's Mistress) in top running condition, she still has original factory Delphi Green paint on the battery tray! But she has been repainted on the exterior, the original clearcoat was peeling, and unfortunately she is a 1.7 L, but we get around OK. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
jagalyn
post Dec 8 2018, 10:48 PM
Post #19

True Patina

Member No.: 5,503

Another way of asking this question...

Is your 914 a stepping stone or the final destination?
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Dec 9 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 21,596

Very happy with this car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:15 AM