Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seam welding chassis, Video on how effective it is
TravisNeff
post Dec 8 2018, 04:20 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Interesting watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDPUD-RhMM...s7x-uda9r9hMtTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDPUD-RhMM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 8 2018, 05:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Interesting, thanks for posting.

I wonder what it would’ve been if he put a chassis bracing bar (as is commonly done) between the shock towers?
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 8 2018, 05:05 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I wonder what it would’ve been if he put a chassis bracing bar (as is commonly done) between the shock towers?
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 8 2018, 05:08 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Probably not much difference. The whole front end moves around. That brace between the shock towers would only negate pulling in our pulling out of the shock tops from each other.

I liked the part where he showed how much bend there was with so little force.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 8 2018, 05:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 8 2018, 06:08 PM) *

Probably not much difference. The whole front end moves around. That brace between the shock towers would only negate pulling in our pulling out of the shock tops from each other.

I liked the part where he showed how much bend there was with so little force.

That caught my eye as well-yikes!
+Quote Post
tperazzo
post Dec 8 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,619

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 8 2018, 04:05 PM) *

Hey 914 world!

That's my video.

I agree that the strut tower brace probably won't change the torsional rigidity much. At least the way I measured it. I'm not saying they aren't useful, but as someone else mentioned the cross brace prevents the towers from flexing in and out.

I plan to make one of these diagonal things and I think this will improve the test results some.

Attached Image

Stay tuned as I will repeat this test after each improvement made. I would expect similar results with a 914 chassis. Maybe someone here will do something similar which would be cool.

Thanks for watching the vid guys.
Tom
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Dec 8 2018, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,986

that's pretty cool. just for a bit more precision - use an exact weight placed at exactly the same spot on the lever each time, say 150lb at exactly 48" from the fulcrum.
at any rate - cool idea and cool findings, thanks for posting!
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 8 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Welcome!

Very interested to see how this turns out on a 914.

BTW - we have a very active Southern California group here, come on out and meet some of the local Mafia.
+Quote Post
tperazzo
post Dec 9 2018, 09:27 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 8 2018, 09:24 PM) *

Welcome!

BTW - we have a very active Southern California group here, come on out and meet some of the local Mafia.

Cool, I wish I would have seen the tech session notice earlier. Maybe I'll hang out at the next one
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 9 2018, 10:44 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Oops - wanted to ask what voltage and wire speed and welder you were using.

+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Dec 9 2018, 11:34 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 8 2018, 08:24 PM) *

Welcome!

So cool to see others doing this kind of stuff. I did basically the same thing and measured the stiffness of the 914 before I made my tube frame for it. I tested a 996 cab as well. See here for my post http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6845&st=120 Check Post 138 through 152. Final numbers were: the 996 C4 Cabriolet has a stiffness of 4,568 '#/Degree. The 914 has a stiffness of 3,326 '#/Degree.

Murrieta is not that far from Huntington beach and I have a frame rack that we can place your car on and test it.

I placed the car on the frame rack, leveled everything up, supported the rears on jack stands, then strapped the rear of the car so that it would not lift off (it lifted if I did not place the straps on) of the stands, then place the third stand in the front middle and then added a 100 lb weight at a distance of 10' to get a 1000 ft-lb torque and measured with dial indicators at two suspension bolt holes. I did that since one of the bolts will rotate up and the other will rotate down. In this way, I was able to get a really accurate measurement on the 996 and the 914 in order to compare the numbers after I build the tube frame for it. I'm really close to being able to measure the torque results with the tube frame installed.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 9 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Dec 9 2018, 12:34 PM) *

Welcome!

So cool to see others doing this kind of stuff. I did basically the same thing and measured the stiffness of the 914 before I made my tube frame for it. I tested a 996 cab as well. See here for my post http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6845&st=120 Check Post 138 through 152. Final numbers were: the 996 C4 Cabriolet has a stiffness of 4,568 '#/Degree. The 914 has a stiffness of 3,326 '#/Degree.

Murrieta is not that far from Huntington beach and I have a frame rack that we can place your car on and test it.

I placed the car on the frame rack, leveled everything up, supported the rears on jack stands, then strapped the rear of the car so that it would not lift off (it lifted if I did not place the straps on) of the stands, then place the third stand in the front middle and then added a 100 lb weight at a distance of 10' to get a 1000 ft-lb torque and measured with dial indicators at two suspension bolt holes. I did that since one of the bolts will rotate up and the other will rotate down. In this way, I was able to get a really accurate measurement on the 996 and the 914 in order to compare the numbers after I build the tube frame for it. I'm really close to being able to measure the torque results with the tube frame installed.

Super cool, thanks for posting this.
+Quote Post
tperazzo
post Dec 9 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Dec 9 2018, 09:34 AM) *

Welcome!

Woah, what a small world. Who knew two guys are testing a 40 year old chassis at the same time within 50 miles of each other.

Your project is super cool, and ambitious! Best of luck on it. I'll be watching for your new torsional rigidity numbers. Very cool.

I'm not super interested in what the actual stiffness numbers are. For me its about making good build decisions that actually help. The stitch welding wasn't that hard so I gave it a try. Now that I know it works, I will most likely be doing more in the door opening area and pillars.

I will be using some strain guages soon to determine what weak points remain. I'm not doing a full cage like you are.

Hope to meet you someday. I'm sure we could talk for hours about this stuff, or better yet help each other out.

The 914 crowd seems to be more interested in my low dollar methods which is great!

Cheers,
Tom
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 9 2018, 04:44 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Most of us here are all DIY and inexpensive things are great projects. With a 914 the rear of the car is the flexy part. We have an advantage of the 2nd firewall in the front to further box things in between the strut towers. When you can see the whole car flex as you have depicted, it changes how you view what stiffness is.

It would be good to see this on a 914, but twisting at the rear through the trailing arm mounts and stabilizing the front.
+Quote Post
tperazzo
post Dec 9 2018, 07:38 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 9 2018, 02:44 PM) *

Most of us here are all DIY and inexpensive things are great projects. With a 914 the rear of the car is the flexy part. We have an advantage of the 2nd firewall in the front to further box things in between the strut towers. When you can see the whole car flex as you have depicted, it changes how you view what stiffness is.

It would be good to see this on a 914, but twisting at the rear through the trailing arm mounts and stabilizing the front.

Yes, that would be cool. The setup is fairly easy and doesn't take a lot time or tools which is why I did it in the first place. That whole video was shot in a day most of which was welding and waiting for the smoke to clear! Time is the main reason I didn't use cement bags or weights to load the bar, because I didn't have time to go to home depot, ha ha.

I guess the responsibility lies with the next person who is strengthening a 914. Step on up, I for one would honored if someone repeated or improved what I did in the video.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 9 2018, 07:54 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

@TravisNeff - where would you brace the rear OR just use one of the kits like from Maddog?
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 9 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

I was just stating that doing this experiment on a 914, but test the flex at the rear pickup point instead of the front would be interesting.

The thing to think about on a street car is that you start eliminating the crumple zones by stitching and adding metal to everything. If you get his that energy has to go somewhere. I do have a inner long kit in mine and I like it a lot. I got it too hot when I put it in and bent the tub. It was a puckering experience to get it back straight.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 10 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #18

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 9 2018, 09:08 PM) *

The thing to think about on a street car is that you start eliminating the crumple zones by stitching and adding metal to everything. If you get his that energy has to go somewhere.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Yes... it makes the car stiffer. But it was designed with the spot welds so the front and rear of the car crumple in a predictable fashion, absorbing energy from the crash. If you weld up all the seams, then YOU become the item that absorbs that energy.

Watch an Indy car or F1 race and notice how much stuff flies off the car during a wreck. Each part it sheds is energy that is not going into the safety cell or into the driver. Today, drivers regularly walk away from wrecks that would have killed them 30 years ago.

So think very carefully on how much energy you are willing to absorb when you get hit before breaking out the welder and welding up the seams.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Dec 13 2018, 12:28 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946

I've been considering building a "bolt in" X brace that ties the shock towers to the rear of the transmission carrier for autocross. I already have Tangerine's scab plates on the inner ear and Mad Dog's long kit. The car is stiff, but can always be stiffer.

As a narrow body car running Hoosier A7's I just don't have room for the GT style stiffening kit on the inner, rear fenders. I need the "bolt in" as I need the space to carry all my crap to the events.
+Quote Post
screenguy914
post Dec 13 2018, 02:47 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,540

I added a link to your YouTube video of a discussion I started some time ago on that other Porsche forum:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...nforcement.html

While not directly applicable to a 914, anything helps since 914 sheet metal is not as robust as on a 911.

Sherwood

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:07 AM