Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fresh air box install video, be afraid. be very afraid
914werke
post Dec 10 2018, 10:16 PM
Post #21

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Group: Members
Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Dec 10 2018, 07:34 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 10 2018, 05:06 PM) *
had to go look at my '71 because apparently the plastic grilles didn't start showing up on the cars until the 1973 MY (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Yep, verified, no grille on the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Will the grilles fit the early cars? ... if so, I'll need to grab one somewhere (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

@euro911 I have an extra 914 Rubber one as I used an OEM one that I picked up from @914werke

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) cheap insurance for any early car to keep that fresh air fan operating. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Dec 11 2018, 01:02 PM
Post #22

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

[/quote]

Also helpful to have extra clamps on hand as they tend to break. Luckily we had a parts car on site where we could secure extras to complete the installation.

[/quote]
Ummm.. yeah. If I hadn't installed the wrong cable the first time, I prolly wouldn't have broken the clip taking it off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 11 2018, 03:26 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Dec 11 2018, 12:02 PM) *

Also helpful to have extra clamps on hand as they tend to break. Luckily we had a parts car on site where we could secure extras to complete the installation.

Ummm.. yeah. If I hadn't installed the wrong cable the first time, I prolly wouldn't have broken the clip taking it off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Is there a good source for those clamps other than parts car?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 11 2018, 05:44 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 11 2018, 02:26 PM) *

Thanks to @rstover , I was able to track down a part# (901-571-919-00). Still available through Porsche... at Porsche a price considering what they are. Thought I'd post it in case anyone else is looking. BTW, I'm told these might not arrive with the yellow chromate finish.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Dec 11 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Where's the "Like" button?

Good job.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 11 2018, 08:45 PM
Post #26

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 11 2018, 03:44 PM) *
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 11 2018, 02:26 PM) *
Thanks to @rstover , I was able to track down a part# (901-571-919-00). Still available through Porsche... at Porsche a price considering what they are. Thought I'd post it in case anyone else is looking. BTW, I'm told these might not arrive with the yellow chromate finish.
Einmalig has them for $3.60/ea., but that's a 60-mile round trip for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) ... whereas Pelican wants $5.75/ea., but they're only a few miles away - and I need to order some other parts from them anyway, so ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 11 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #27

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

That's a neat trick, Ian. Good job and great video! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Dec 12 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #28

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

Really appreciate this. I'll add my vote for the cable attachment video. I'm sure that I didn't get mine right when I reassembled my car after repaint. Getting it right is on my todo list.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Dec 13 2018, 09:04 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

I just did mine, getting the fresh air box in was not too hard. I did loosen the 2 braces and also loosened the wiper assembly as it was interfering with getting the box in all the way.
The Really painful part was re-attaching the control cable at the back side. There was NO way to pre-attach the cable before positioning the box as it isn't long enough without dis-connecting it from the dash control levers, and that would have been even more painful.
Getting the cable into the lever isn't too bad but but getting the clip snapped back on drove me crazy. I finally got it snapped in but was about to go the the hardware store to buy some long heavy duty needle nose pliers.
Attaching the electrical cable was fairly easy.

Good luck out there
Barefoot
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Dec 13 2018, 09:47 AM
Post #30

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 13 2018, 10:04 AM) *

I just did mine, getting the fresh air box in was not too hard. I did loosen the 2 braces and also loosened the wiper assembly as it was interfering with getting the box in all the way.
The Really painful part was re-attaching the control cable at the back side. There was NO way to pre-attach the cable before positioning the box as it isn't long enough without dis-connecting it from the dash control levers, and that would have been even more painful.
Getting the cable into the lever isn't too bad but but getting the clip snapped back on drove me crazy. I finally got it snapped in but was about to go the the hardware store to buy some long heavy duty needle nose pliers.
Attaching the electrical cable was fairly easy.

Good luck out there
Barefoot

Yep, that's pretty much the deal. Getting the clip on the bottom cable involves aligning it perfectly straight with the bracket (blindly by feel) and using enough force to bend the clip around the sheath and lock it in. Long needle nose pliers are the tool of choice...but it's difficult to find a good angle for them to grab just the top of the clip. You may need to move the lever / cable a bit to clear the hardware which moves the vanes. Also...make very sure you're attaching the fan control cable (the top slider on the control inside the car)...and that the sheath is sandwiched between the clip and the bracket so you don't have to go through that pain more than once. Ask me how I know...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:50 AM