Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Superior tranny oil, Slight tranny sound....how to make go away?
mepstein
post Dec 21 2018, 04:40 PM
Post #41

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Dec 21 2018, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2018, 10:14 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 21 2018, 01:01 PM) *

Sure the good doctor is right as he is referring to the 914 trans which he must know' better than anybody,so whats the secret to Swepco ? which the 911 guys all say improves shifting ,etc in those transmissions,no one seems to mention use in the 914 box that I thought was rather similar in design (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
Oil samples can't always be trusted ,last large vessel I ran had a massive gearbox failure due to worn out thrust bearing ,a recent oil sample showed no elevated levels of the bearing material in the oil,end result was a 6 month layup and around 1 million to rebuild it.

Our guys have rebuilt dozens of 915 boxes and only use the GL4 80-90 dino oil.

Some data is better than no data. If you do an analysis on a regular basis you should have seen something.

There is no secret to Swepco, I've run it and it's a good oil just super expensive for anything but race cars.

@mepstein have you tried Motul?

The customers might but ever trans at the shop gets the regular stuff. I wish I had the chance to watch Russo rebuild the 962 trans. Half the internals were titanium. I was busy with other stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
second wind
post Dec 22 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #42

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

So I drained my transmission and replaced with Valvoline 80-90 and a quart of Lucas Oil Conditioner.......I believe the sound has gone away. I was low on the tranny oil which could have been the issue, but having fresh fluid in there is a big plus. I also switched out my nylon shift rod bushing at the transmission with a brass one I had bought years ago. They call the metal "oilite" or something like that. I have been doctoring the original nylon bushings with aluminum tape and such to lessen the slop in the bushing, but this time I glued the new brass bushing in with JB Quik. My car has never shifted better!! All gears are like butter now. Fifth to fourth used to take a bit of a nudge and light double clutch....but now just a normal shift. All good on this end and thanks to everyone who offered their help.
gg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:48 AM