Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Voltage discrepancy, WTF?
saigon71
post Dec 11 2018, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

As long as I can remember, when driving at night in the 914, my center console voltmeter hovers right around 12V when cruising with the lights on. When I hit the brakes, it drops well below 12V...anything else drops it even lower.

I'm running an Optima Red Top near the end of it's service life and want to make sure my charging system is healthy before popping on a new AGM battery.

I had been considering switching to LED headlights and brake lights to lower the current draw.

I hooked up the VOM at the battery and did a load test with the car running, adding an accessory at a time.

With headlights, brake lights and aux fan on the voltmeter in the center console read just over as 10 volts, while the VOM hooked to the battery showed 12.58V. Is this discrepancy normal?

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Dec 11 2018, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

perfectly normal and as expected. . old wire with poor connections, as well as bad grounding lugs are the most probable cause. . each connection sucks out a few 1/10 of a volt till they add up. . .
Check the main battery ground and positive leads 1st, then work your way vack thru the wiring. . don't forget the trans ground strap
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Dec 11 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Nothing to do with old wires! They worked like that when they were brand new!
+Quote Post
adolimpio
post Dec 11 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #4

Art

Member No.: 11,449
Region Association: South East States

Ohm's law. Voltage drops as current passes through a conductor, increasing with resistance of conductor. Measuring at the battery, very little resistance between source and measuring point, so no voltage drop.
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Dec 11 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You also could have lost the ground connection within the appearance group wiring. Had the same problem. All is well after I reconnected the ground wire
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Dec 11 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I added a new ground wire to mine and that fixed it
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 11 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 11 2018, 07:17 PM) *
Is this discrepancy normal?

Yes. This is why I decided to remove the center console and it's gauges to get some more side-leg room. I'll rely on the equally-accurate idiot lights.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Dec 12 2018, 08:56 AM
Post #8

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I'm fighting the same issue now too, and it was at the point where I thought my alternator was failing because I was only seeing ~10V at the dash even with a brand-new battery. It could be the gauge but way more likely the wiring harness and/or a ground. I was super happy it wasn't the alternator...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 12 2018, 09:00 AM
Post #9

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The volt meter in the center console is nowhere near accurate. You can use it to see if your brake lights are working (voltage drop when you step on the brakes) and it will twitch with the turn signals, but it being an accurate measurement of voltage, well forget it.

The gauge is connected to the same power source as all the other instruments. So it has lots of connections and other stuff in the circuit to affect its performance. If you want it to be more accurate, run two heavy wires, one red, and one brown all the way back to the battery. Use a relay to switch the brown one off when the car is not running. After doing that, it still may not read correctly, as the calibration is questionable.

Or just ignore the gauge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 12 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Dec 11 2018, 06:21 PM) *

You also could have lost the ground connection within the appearance group wiring. Had the same problem. All is well after I reconnected the ground wire

I agree check the aux instrument wiring harness ground connection under the console shift base plate, remove clean and plug back in. Volt meter should read 13.6 at idle with no load
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 12 2018, 08:49 PM
Post #11

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 11 2018, 07:17 PM) *

With headlights, brake lights and aux fan on the voltmeter in the center console read just over as 10 volts, while the VOM hooked to the battery showed 12.58V. Is this discrepancy normal?

As others have noted the difference is expected in the 914 because of small gauge wire causing IxR voltage drops as loads like headlights, turnsignals are active.

I've measured my gauge separately and found the gauge to be accurate to about 0.1V. Unfortunately where it resides in the 914 wire loom causes the gauge to read very low at times.

Although not an accurate measurement of battery voltage, the gauge does give an indication of the voltage going to loads in the 914. For instance the headlights may only be getting 10V instead of 14V which the alternator puts out at elevated RPM.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 12 2018, 10:48 PM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I like to say that the voltmeter is there "for entertainment purposes". It's not a great indication of the health of the charging system...

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:07 PM