Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fire extinguisher recommendations?, Time to replace.
mountainroads
post Dec 13 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This topic has probably come up before, I honestly tried the search function with several options, but couldn't find anything??

The in-cabin fire extinguisher that came with the car is up for renewal. I'm a cheap bastard at heart, but this doesn't seem like the right time to cheap out and forego a replacement, even if it's for something I hope I'll never have to use. Especially since even the "good" ones I saw were all sub-$100 (?)

I like the idea of keeping handy in the cabin instead of one of the trunks. Realize that comes with some space and mounting considerations. FWIW: My existing unit was mounted parallel to the tunnel and ahead of the shifter (no center console box). What does this esteemed knowledge base use and where/how do you mount? Thanks in advance for recommendations.

- MR

PS: Hope I'm not opening another religious debate, similar to "What's the best engine oil?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 13 2018, 10:23 AM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The best fire extinguisher is the one you don't need to use for it to be effective.

Look into tech like FireCut.

Cabin fire extinguishers are to make the driver feel better and maybe brain someone in an accident. They don't do much to actually put out a fire.

Zach
+Quote Post
Pursang
post Dec 13 2018, 10:33 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,386

The cost difference between good and bad extinguishers is insignificant if it is your car that's burning. First thing to do if you suspect you have a fire is to turn your ignition OFF. As for effective extinguishers, halon is best.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Dec 13 2018, 12:14 PM
Post #4

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Here's my fire solution(s). I have a BlazeCut system installed under the lid. I do not use a rain tray since I NEVER drive in the wet. I painted the BlazeCut tube black so that it does not show through the engine cover. You might also notice the engine deck lid steel cable restraint on the left side so that when I pop the lid, the hinges aren't slammed and worked until breakage ensues.
And just in case I have a cabin fire, I have a Kidde extinguisher inside my custom built center console box..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Dec 13 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,589

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 13 2018, 11:23 AM) *

The best fire extinguisher is the one you don't need to use for it to be effective.

Look into tech like FireCut.

Cabin fire extinguishers are to make the driver feel better and maybe brain someone in an accident. They don't do much to actually put out a fire.

Zach

Not sure I understand your logic, Zach. A cabin fire extinguisher saved my 924S years ago from an interior electrical fire in the rear hatch area. Put the fire right out, how about that, and I think that's why they call it a "fire extinguisher".

Ansbacher

+Quote Post
11tenths
post Dec 13 2018, 03:40 PM
Post #6

Ve get too soon old, und too late schmart

Member No.: 15,026
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Dec 13 2018, 01:14 PM) *

Here's my fire solution(s). I have a BlazeCut system installed under the lid. I do not use a rain tray since I NEVER drive in the wet. I painted the BlazeCut tube black so that it does not show through the engine cover. You might also notice the engine deck lid steel cable restraint on the left side so that when I pop the lid, the hinges aren't slammed and worked until breakage ensues.
And just in case I have a cabin fire, I have a Kidde extinguisher inside my custom built center console box..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Kinda ironic you have a Crane "FireBall" right under your Blaze-Cut.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Dec 13 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #7

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

https://extinguishstick.com/

Have you ever seen these? They are pretty cool in action. I have watched a few people use them on auto fires.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Dec 13 2018, 04:28 PM
Post #8

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(11tenths @ Dec 13 2018, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Dec 13 2018, 01:14 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Kinda ironic you have a Crane "FireBall" right under your Blaze-Cut.

Don’t you believe in ying and yang?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Dec 13 2018, 05:46 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,985
Region Association: None

Same idea as https://elementfire.com/products/element-e50 ...

I haven't seen one in person, but there has been talk of them over on the Pelican forum. Tiny, they go for 50 seconds, and leave no residue. Seems like a good option.

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 13 2018, 05:26 PM) *

https://extinguishstick.com/

Have you ever seen these? They are pretty cool in action. I have watched a few people use them on auto fires.

As for the comment about cabin fire extinguishers not being of value ... I put out a small engine fire on my racecar this past summer with a handheld due to an intake backfire. Large fires start as small ones ... I carry a handheld in all my older cars.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Dec 13 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I have the larger Industrial size Element in my car, 100 seconds of effective use.

It's still pretty small, sits behind the seat and won't kill you in a car accident.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Dec 13 2018, 07:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Buy a Purple K extinguisher. You can find them on Amazon.
Trust me, fighting fires is my job. All those little cabin fire extinguishers works about as good as pissing in the wind..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Dec 13 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Based on Coondog's recommendation, that's what I bought. I keep it behind my seat.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post May 9 2020, 12:56 PM
Post #13

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 13 2018, 06:40 PM) *

Trust me, fighting fires is my job. All those little cabin fire extinguishers works about as good as pissing in the wind..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

@coondog

Is a 2.5lb unit sufficient?
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post May 9 2020, 01:18 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 9 2020, 11:56 AM) *

@coondog

Is a 2.5lb unit sufficient?

Sir Greg @coondog ,

this is from your car and do u still have the same size on your car now? Like Jeffrey is asking, is 2.5lbs enough or is there any smaller that will fit under the 914 passenger seat?

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Toy
post May 9 2020, 02:18 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 21,596

Greg, How about this PEMALL HALON 1211 PA-H 2.5. It is a liquified gas type extinguisher?
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Coondog
post May 9 2020, 02:28 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Here is my current set up Purple K 20 B-C. Halotron 2.5 B-C
Going by pounds is not accurate. The number for a B or C fire extinguisher tells you how many square feet it will put out. For a A the number means gallons equivalent to water.
2A 10BC Two gallons of water for a type A fire. 10 BC 10 square feet. It’s the B C rating that’s important to us due to fuel fires. Purple K is the best for fuel and metal fires. The halotron for electrical fires. Amazon sells both.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Coondog
post May 9 2020, 02:32 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 9 2020, 01:18 PM) *

Greg, How about this PEMALL HALON 1211 PA-H 2.5. It is a liquified gas type extinguisher?
Attached Image

Great for electrical fires not so much for gasoline. Get a a Purple K and put both in your car. Gasoline travels under the engine tins so while your trying to put out the upper engine fire it’s still running underneath the car. This is why I don’t like those stick fire extinguishers as it doesn’t allow you to get close enough to put out fire under the tins.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post May 9 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 21,596

QUOTE(Coondog @ May 9 2020, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 9 2020, 01:18 PM) *

Attached Image

Great for electrical fires not so much for gasoline. Get a a Purple K and put both in your car. Gasoline travels under the engine tins so while your trying to put out the upper engine fire it’s still running underneath the car. This is why I don’t like those stick fire extinguishers as it doesn’t allow you to get close enough to put out fire under the tins.

On it, thanks.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 9 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

For many years I was an SCCA corner worker, and I also owned and drove my own race cars. What I learned from both practice fires and real racing incidents is that once a fire gets established (burning oil, rubber, breached fuel tank or cell) it is beyond anything hand-held. Standard dry-chem can knock down flames, but hot parts can re-ignite the fire. And dry-chem is caustic, and can corrode aluminum, wiring, plastics, etc. Halon is most effective in closed spaces since it displaces oxygen. I works best if pre-plumbed into the engine compartment or fuel storage area, but maybe not so well if you have to open a lid for access.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:20 PM