Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Cold start troubles, I daily drive mine so I need to get this sorted
Neil914
post Dec 14 2018, 12:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,887
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

So I'll try to cover this neatly. I have a '73 2.0 with fuel injection
My 914 does not start cold with the starter motor. Every morning I roll it backwards out of the driveway backwards and then give it a running push down the gentle slope of my street. It will start cold no problem if you bump start it and get the engine turning over at 1,500 or 2,000 rpm. When I cranked the car over for a while I the engine would get flooded and smell of fuel, and then backfire significantly when bump started. Replacing the head temp sensor has helped that, but did not fix the whole problem. The Auxiliary air valve is dodgy and the car often idles high, but plugged or left open it makes no difference. The car used to start great cold and the problem has actually been gradual. When warm the car starts flawlessly. For the first couple minutes of running when cold the engine can die at idle due to the use of the brakes or headlights, presumably because this drops the voltage. I have tried jumper cables from another car to make sure I have plenty of volts but it still doesn't go.
Ideas?
Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:49 PM