Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Pump Location?
torakki
post Dec 14 2018, 09:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,545
Region Association: Northern California

When I got this car and after trailering it home, the fuel pump was dangling under the car, held on by the fuel lines. The whole car was kind of a bucket but now it's getting restored and I'm not sure how the fuel pump is mounted. It's a '74 2.0 liter. The photos I see, show a pump on the firewall just to the right of the main wiring harness. But, I have no stud or mounting points there. Does it go on the bracket (photo)? Photos of correct location? Thanks for any input.
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
adolimpio
post Dec 14 2018, 09:10 PM
Post #2

Art

Member No.: 11,449
Region Association: South East States

Here's some good pictures.

pictures
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Dec 14 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

If you're not going for the 100% correct restoration get a set of stainless steel fuel lines and mount the pump up front like they did in 75'
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 14 2018, 10:01 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

The original mounting holes are blocked by that hacked engine shelf repair. The bracket you pictured is for the fuel filter, not the pump.

But since this isn't a stock pump, it may not fit in the stock location. When i switched to a rotatry pump similar to yours on my carbed 2056, i mounted it on the firewall (with an inline filter *before* the pump), inbetween where the fuel lines exits the firewall and the heater duct opening.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 15 2018, 12:03 AM
Post #5

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

You may want to pull those 40+ year old plastic tubes and replace with stainless from Tangerine Racing.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Dec 15 2018, 05:04 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I moved my fuel pump to the firewall. I removed the interior back pad. Then drilled two holes for the mounting bracket. I used large fender washers for the bolts which I inserted from the interior. Picture below will show location and configuration. Good luck and welcome newie!

Yes, replace those plastic lines especially since you have your car torn down, much easier!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 15 2018, 06:35 AM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

The pump you have is a very good, made in USA Walbro, http://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl391-fuel-pump.html, but it is an inline FI pump so it would never fit the stock location. Stock pump for a '74 has the ports on the same end.

I'd never install a pump without rubber isolators or hose using worm gear hose clamps.
+Quote Post
torakki
post Dec 15 2018, 12:45 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 22,545

OK, looks like my car has had some alterations in the past. I like the location of JawaPorsche's which may be the easiest way to solve this, since I will have to fab something. I'll use rubber insulators which I use from a $1.00 rubber floor mat from Dollar Tree. I cut strips off of it and works great. Not to concerned with originality but the car will probably be 95% original. Just personal touches that will make it more fun for me. Not sure I want to replace the plastic lines since I already installed the fuel tank, without scratching any of the new paint. Don't think I can do that twice.
Thanks for all the great info and photos. Really helps me out.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:33 PM