Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering Rack, Preventative Maintenance?
bbrock
post Dec 18 2018, 11:55 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My steering rack is out (along with all the other parts of the car) and I'm getting ready to spruce it up and install turbo tie rod ends. Is it worth tearing it apart for a thorough cleaning, inspection, and refurbishing while I'm at it? My initial inspection shows it turns freely and smoothly through the whole range by hand. The housing cover looks like it was leaking grease so at a minimum, that needs replaced. The rack has about 100K miles of actual use and 35 years of just sitting. I'm not opposed to opening cans of worms but I have an abundance of cans and want to just open the ones worth opening.

And before somebody says it, I know that 914rubber offers a reasonably priced rebuild service for these, but this it a big, complete resto project on a budget. It only works if I supply all the labor I can. I've read through all the threads I could find on the subject and it doesn't look any harder than other stuff I've tackled.

Opinions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 18 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 18 2018, 09:55 AM) *

My steering rack is out (along with all the other parts of the car) and I'm getting ready to spruce it up and install turbo tie rod ends. Is it worth tearing it apart for a thorough cleaning, inspection, and refurbishing while I'm at it? My initial inspection shows it turns freely and smoothly through the whole range by hand. The housing cover looks like it was leaking grease so at a minimum, that needs replaced. The rack has about 100K miles of actual use and 35 years of just sitting. I'm not opposed to opening cans of worms but I have an abundance of cans and want to just open the ones worth opening.

And before somebody says it, I know that 914rubber offers a reasonably priced rebuild service for these, but this it a big, complete resto project on a budget. It only works if I supply all the labor I can. I've read through all the threads I could find on the subject and it doesn't look any harder than other stuff I've tackled.

Opinions?

It's actually very easy to do. I will tell you my quick experience

I researched and learned that there are 3 versions of the rack. I took mine apart to clean up and also because it was rough through the range. I then replaced the bearings after buying the wrong bearing (actually the right bearing for the other 2 versions) and regreased and still didn't like how it felt rough. Then decided to sell it to 914 rubber for a core and bought a ZF rack out of a 911 and had tru-6 restore it in swap for some exhaust work. Had I not swapped work I would have done the second rack myself. It's a 15 minute rebuild.. I have a new bearing I could send you (FAG brand) if you decide to do it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Dec 18 2018, 03:06 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

worth doing and not that hard.

Bearing numbers here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=273545&hl=
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 18 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

SOLD. I'm going in. So 2 bearings and a seal to replace. Anything else that should be replaced as a matter of routine while I'm in there? Anyone know where to get the housing gasket? Looks like it is NLA. Also, do people who do this check and adjust the end play or do they just assume it's okay if nothing other than bearings are replaced? I'm wondering because it looks like the thickness of the gasket figures into the end play equation.

Mark, I may take you up on that bearing. How do I know which I need? My car is a 73 like Tom's so I'm guessing the same bearing (FAG 16002)? Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy bearings and seals?

Thanks for the help guys. Another can of worms to open (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 18 2018, 05:18 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 18 2018, 02:59 PM) *

SOLD. I'm going in. So 2 bearings and a seal to replace. Anything else that should be replaced as a matter of routine while I'm in there? Anyone know where to get the housing gasket? Looks like it is NLA. Also, do people who do this check and adjust the end play or do they just assume it's okay if nothing other than bearings are replaced? I'm wondering because it looks like the thickness of the gasket figures into the end play equation.

Mark, I may take you up on that bearing. How do I know which I need? My car is a 73 like Tom's so I'm guessing the same bearing (FAG 16002)? Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy bearings and seals?

Thanks for the help guys. Another can of worms to open (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

I have the 16002.. Pm me your address.. And it's Ben (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 18 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 18 2018, 04:18 PM) *

I have the 16002.. Pm me your address.. And it's Ben (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh sorry Ben, I spent too much time on here today and got in my head that mepstein made that post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Dec 18 2018, 05:36 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 18 2018, 06:18 PM) *

I'm Tom, AND I have a '73 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 18 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Dec 18 2018, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 18 2018, 06:18 PM) *

I'm Tom, AND I have a '73 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

At least I got one of you right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Dec 18 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

Word of advice, keep track of the shims. They’re under the small cover in the middle of the rack, bottom. They’re job is to apply a set pressure to the rack gear.
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Dec 18 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sent you an email with some help
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 20 2018, 03:51 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Well this is interesting... I know from watching Ian Karr's video that the turbo tie rod kit doesn't come with spring retainers to secure the bellow ends, that the outer bellows are a different diameter than original stock, and he suggests using zip ties instead. I thought I'd look up the part number for the turbo retainers and see if they were still available. The PET lists two retainer part numbers for the 911 SC (same as for the 914) but none for the turbo. Apparently, Porsche decided the turbo didn't need no stinking springs.

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 20 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #12

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

If your adding turbo tie rods you will need a thin 32MM wrench for the installation. A BMW fan wrench works great for the proper size and it is thin, also has superb leverage compared to the 32mm cone wrenches used for bicycle repair.

BMW Fan wrench
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 20 2018, 09:37 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 20 2018, 08:32 PM) *

If your adding turbo tie rods you will need a thin 32MM wrench for the installation. A BMW fan wrench works great for the proper size and it is thin, also has superb leverage compared to the 32mm cone wrenches used for bicycle repair.

BMW Fan wrench

Thanks for the tip! I was planning to visit the local bike shop for the wrench but this looks better. Probably don't want to put the nice new tie rods on the same way I took the old ones off - with a pipe wrench (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 21 2018, 08:15 AM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 20 2018, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 20 2018, 08:32 PM) *

BMW Fan wrench

Thanks for the tip! I was planning to visit the local bike shop for the wrench but this looks better. Probably don't want to put the nice new tie rods on the same way I took the old ones off - with a pipe wrench (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

A pipe wrench is the proper tool to remove them so you don’t damage your good wrench. Same with ball joint nut and top strut nut.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 21 2018, 10:19 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2018, 07:15 AM) *

A pipe wrench is the proper tool to remove them so you don’t damage your good wrench. Same with ball joint nut and top strut nut.

Done both of those too. I'm guessing I could have gotten the old tie rods off by just cocking the joints 90 degrees and using them as their own wrench. I ordered a BMW wrench on ebay. Found a double end version for a couple bucks cheaper. I dodn't see a BMW in my future so figured I'd be more likely to find a use for the 36mm end than whatever that special bar is that comes with the fan clutch setup.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.ebayimg.com-20845-1545409190.1.png)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:52 PM