Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Steering Rack, Preventative Maintenance?
bbrock
post Dec 18 2018, 11:55 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My steering rack is out (along with all the other parts of the car) and I'm getting ready to spruce it up and install turbo tie rod ends. Is it worth tearing it apart for a thorough cleaning, inspection, and refurbishing while I'm at it? My initial inspection shows it turns freely and smoothly through the whole range by hand. The housing cover looks like it was leaking grease so at a minimum, that needs replaced. The rack has about 100K miles of actual use and 35 years of just sitting. I'm not opposed to opening cans of worms but I have an abundance of cans and want to just open the ones worth opening.

And before somebody says it, I know that 914rubber offers a reasonably priced rebuild service for these, but this it a big, complete resto project on a budget. It only works if I supply all the labor I can. I've read through all the threads I could find on the subject and it doesn't look any harder than other stuff I've tackled.

Opinions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:05 AM