Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A bit silly, but a 26-year search is finally over., Thanks to Oscar and Bruce
Justinp71
post Dec 20 2018, 11:28 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

I remember seeing this car at Rennsport, it is very clean! and nice! I didn't even notice the bumper imperfections (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 21 2018, 12:25 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 20 2018, 09:01 PM) *

I hope you used the 914 Rubber spacers on the bumper top?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 21 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Dec 20 2018, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 20 2018, 09:01 PM) *

I hope you used the 914 Rubber spacers on the bumper top?

Since you are so pedantic about it......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Hey @Larmo63 , I know NOS is not your thing. However, having no idea what you are actually talking about and having to look up the definition for Pedantic, I much prefer this term than calling others a CW!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I think he means these things?
https://shop.914rubber.com/Bumper-Top-Rubbe...91455911610.htm

Whether they're in there is a question for Oscar, as the rubber top was on the bumper and I decided to merely check the torque on the nuts and then trial fit the bumper for the first time last night. Contour is dead on, but the bumper top is a bit lower than the other one, particularly in the central 2/3rds. The old bumper top may or may not have some spacers under it—will look this weekend. May need to rework my headlights and "brows" a bit too. We'll see. I'd just like to get all of these lines more even. I've seen so few 914s with all the lines right up there (same is true for early 911s, if you look at them), and I think it really cleans up the nose of the car. One of those "once you've seen it, you can't unsee it" things. I blame a friend named Dick for the affliction.

So I suppose "pedantic" is fitting when it comes to my efforts to try and get the shut lines on my 914's front end "right" to my standard—which has zero to do with concours. Last time the car was judged was at the 1995 Parade, I think, and that's when I knew concours ain't for me. But man, it's been tricky to find a straight early front bumper—which put me onto the search for an NOS piece, if for no other reason than to ensure its contours haven't been altered.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 21 2018, 12:41 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Dec 20 2018, 09:28 PM) *

I remember seeing this car at Rennsport, it is very clean! and nice! I didn't even notice the bumper imperfections (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Many thanks! It was more or less "taped together" in time for that event, as it had been disassembled for a while after paint when a parking space next to the RSR I was racing that weekend came up. Hard to believe it, but the car has since been repainted due to some metalwork issues from a separate shop that bubbled up at the RF and LR, and the painter decided to do the whole car.

As so many cars here, many of which are more ambitious than my build, it's been a bit of an odyssey. But a fun one, for the most part, too.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Dec 21 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #25

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 21 2018, 10:41 AM) *

Many thanks! It was more or less "taped together" in time for that event, as it had been disassembled for a while after paint when a parking space next to the RSR I was racing that weekend came up. Hard to believe it, but the car has since been repainted due to some metalwork issues from a separate shop that bubbled up at the RF and LR, and the painter decided to do the whole car.

As so many cars here, many of which are more ambitious than my build, it's been a bit of an odyssey. But a fun one, for the most part, too.

No spacers installed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Oscar
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 21 2018, 12:58 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Dec 21 2018, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 21 2018, 10:41 AM) *

No spacers installed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Oscar

No worries whatsoever! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

In distant memory banks, I seem to remember spacing my last bumper top with washers. Easy enough to check since that bumper is off the car.

My question for the collected wisdom here: Any advantage to the rubber ones from 914 Rubber over plain washers, other than being the way the factory did it?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 21 2018, 01:10 PM
Post #27

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 21 2018, 10:58 AM) *

My question for the collected wisdom here: Any advantage to the rubber ones from 914 Rubber over plain washers, other than being the way the factory did it?

Rubber doesn't rust ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 21 2018, 05:56 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2018, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 21 2018, 10:58 AM) *

Rubber doesn't rust ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Good thing they used rubber studs on the bumper pad… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Dec 21 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Selling your old bumper for a cheap price? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif) With all it's issues you know.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 21 2018, 07:17 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was just thinking I could suffer through with your old bumper myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 21 2018, 10:44 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Dec 21 2018, 04:41 PM) *

Selling your old bumper for a cheap price? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif) With all it's issues you know.

QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 21 2018, 05:17 PM) *

I was just thinking I could suffer through with your old bumper myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

LOL, you vultures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Haven't decided whether to keep the bumper as a spare/core or sell it. And y'all should see some more pics of the thing before you decide if this one's for you. I'd say the pics here make it look better than it is (even if it's a lot nicer than most I've seen).

So, to the group: What's a fair price for a never-been-rechromed, zero-rust early front bumper with two slight "dings" and a bit of push in towards the center (hence why it is tight at the center of the hood)? What's a "cheap price?"

And for a factory rubber top, purchased 10-15~ years ago from HPH and with very little time in the sun since? It's "like new," or very close to it.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Dec 22 2018, 12:17 AM
Post #32

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 21 2018, 08:44 PM) *

LOL, you vultures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Haven't decided whether to keep the bumper as a spare/core or sell it. And y'all should see some more pics of the thing before you decide if this one's for you. I'd say the pics here make it look better than it is (even if it's a lot nicer than most I've seen).

So, to the group: What's a fair price for a never-been-rechromed, zero-rust early front bumper with two slight "dings" and a bit of push in towards the center (hence why it is tight at the center of the hood)? What's a "cheap price?"

And for a factory rubber top, purchased 10-15~ years ago from HPH and with very little time in the sun since? It's "like new," or very close to it.

Priceless

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Dec 22 2018, 01:11 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Priceless, and............celebrity owned.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 22 2018, 08:45 AM
Post #34

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 21 2018, 11:44 PM) *

bumper $200-350
rubber top $100-200
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 22 2018, 11:21 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 12,023

Keep it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
worn
post Dec 22 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #36

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The thing about NOS that has always worried me is that you let all of the NOS gas out of the package when you install it. I have a few pieces of low value stuff uninstalled just for that reason.
I believe pedantic is not quite the right word as it describes overbearing explanation of an arcane or otherwise boring subject. Like what I just did. The quest for the bumper is either a courageous and uncompromising search for what is just and right...or sort of obsessive. Really depends on how good looking your car already is.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 22 2018, 11:45 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 22 2018, 06:45 AM) *

bumper $200-350
rubber top $100-200

Danke schon, man. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

At $300-550, and considering what it took to find a truly good one, it probably is smarter to keep it—if for nothing else than peace of mind when I park and drive the car. Particularly given what I paid Rich at HPH for the then-NOS rubber top and the fact it's still near perfect. And I can have it fixed over the next few months since I no longer need it to enjoy the car...which I suspect is going to take at least two trips to a plater in Sacramento or San Jose, one to drop off and one more after it's stripped to do get it recurved and final fit before it's rechromed.

There aren't a lot of parts on a 914 I'd consider storing for a rainy day, but the front bumper is one of them—as it's kind of like the nose of a 1970s Alfa...in being vulnerable and just about always less than perfect on cars that actually see use. I still think there's a market for a truly good repro front bumper, and am not sure why Restoration Design hasn't blessed the 914 community with one, even if it's just plain steel ready for chroming. In 26 years of on again, off again searching, I only had two shots at an NOS piece, and never saw a perfect used one. Worse, so many of them out there have or have had rust and been rechromed multiple times.

Pedantic? Yep. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 22 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE(worn @ Dec 22 2018, 09:42 AM) *

The thing about NOS that has always worried me is that you let all of the NOS gas out of the package when you install it.

That's the best moment!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (And one to be savored.)

But I get you, and guess I view low-mile, super-original cars the same way. Either preserve them (not me, thank you), or take the same approach I do with NOS parts: hunt and then gladly use what has been saved through time on its way to you.

QUOTE(worn @ Dec 22 2018, 09:42 AM) *
I believe pedantic is not quite the right word as it describes overbearing explanation of an arcane or otherwise boring subject. Like what I just did. The quest for the bumper is either a courageous and uncompromising search for what is just and right...or sort of obsessive. Really depends on how good looking your car already is.

As one who works with words for a living, I do believe you make a good point… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 09:06 AM