Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Long block options for my '76 2.0, advice needed
Queenie
post Jul 14 2003, 12:56 PM
Post #1

Society Is A Hole

Group: Members
Member No.: 908

Greetings to all.

One of the guys at Rennlist pointed me in your direction & I'm hoping to get some advice...

It's soon going to be time to rebuild my engine and I'm looking for a reliable supplier for a long block. As the title above says, I have a '76 2.0 liter. I was thinking of ordering from GEX but having recently done some research, that isn't sounding like a very good idea.

Any suggestions, advice, comments? Thanks much.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 14 2003, 02:00 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I'll help draw some attention to your post.

Welcome to the board !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I used to recommend GEX until they screwed over a couple of friends.

I honestly build my own bottom ends... so I dont really know of a "supplier" per se.

B
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Jul 14 2003, 02:29 PM
Post #3

Society Is A Hole

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 14 2003, 12:00 PM)
I'll help draw some attention to your post.

Welcome to the board !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I used to recommend GEX until they screwed over a couple of friends.

I honestly build my own bottom ends... so I dont really know of a "supplier" per se.

B

Thanks, Brad. Looks like there's lots going on here, so I plan to stick around. I'm not just here to beg for help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

To give a little more information about this project: What I most likely need is valve guides - a big pain in the butt from what I understand.

So, in order to save me some cash, my ex-husband has graciously offered to do this rebuild for me for the cost of parts and some tools - not a bad deal. But I'd rather save him the headache of splitting the case, so we were thinking to just get a new long block and be done with the hassle (as if there's any such thing as a hassle-free engine rebuild).

The car is my daily driver, so I can't afford to be without it for a very long time, especially not during the school year. I can walk to work, but school is a whole different story. I need the rebuild to be as painless as possible, although having been through several other air-cooler rebuilds I know that that's a laughable concept. I guess I should say "as painless as possible - all things considered."

Maybe it would be a better idea to just do the valve guides and only deal with other problems if they show themselves in the process of that job?

One thing is for sure: I'm not getting rid of the car. I love it to distraction (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jul 14 2003, 02:30 PM
Post #4

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

Are you sure that you want a new long block.. or will a good used one do? Posting an add in the classifieds might find you something that would work for you.

-Rusty
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Jul 14 2003, 05:35 PM
Post #5

Society Is A Hole

No, I'm not dead set on new. I'm not even dead set on getting a long block - if there's a better way to go about dealing with my poor sad oil burner, I'm all for it. Used is certainly an option as long as logistics don't get too hairy. Time will be of the essence with this project. I've got until at least October to get it all figured out, maybe even December.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll confer with The Mechanic and let him know what I'm finding out.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 14 2003, 05:42 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

I'm betting a good complete (smog legal engine) can be had for 1200$ plus shipping. Your almost dead center of the "Republic of California" soo... finding one here in the bay area or in SoCal should be pretty easy.

Have you spoken to Dave Shepard at GPR ?? He is a 914 guy and used to have several parts cars behind the building.

If you buy a complete engine.. your mechanic could swap it out in 2-3 days for you.

B
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 14 2003, 05:43 PM
Post #7

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Having a '76, you need to be concerned with smog, right?
Or do you "have a guy" ?
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Jul 14 2003, 06:00 PM
Post #8

Society Is A Hole

QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 14 2003, 03:43 PM)
Having a '76, you need to be concerned with smog, right?
Or do you "have a guy" ?

I have to smog it one more time, for which I'll put the cat back on...and promptly remove it once I get my certificate. After that I'm home free - it will be of an age that doesn't require biannual smogging.

I basically have three mechanics: the one I work next door to (who costs me money but does great work), my exhusband (who works cheap but is in Bolivia 9 months out of the year), and the guy who FINALLY got it to pass smog last time (it was a bitch and a half).
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Jul 14 2003, 06:02 PM
Post #9

Society Is A Hole

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 14 2003, 03:42 PM)
I'm betting a good complete (smog legal engine) can be had for 1200$ plus shipping.

Have you spoken to Dave Shepard at GPR ?? He is a 914 guy and used to have several parts cars behind the building.

$1200? That cheap? Wow. Now you've got me thinking.

And no, I haven't called the boys at GPR yet but it's on my list of things to do this week.

I really can't thank you all enough for your responses. It helps so much to sound out other folks and get ideas. I'm really grateful!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 14 2003, 06:06 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

This is why we put this board up: To help other 914 owners around the world.

We have a lot of fun here. As long as you can put on your thick skin.. you'll get along fine here.

B
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Jul 15 2003, 09:19 AM
Post #11

Society Is A Hole

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 14 2003, 04:06 PM)

We have a lot of fun here. As long as you can put on your thick skin.. you'll get along fine here.

B

I've survived five or so years on Usenet, I doubt there's much y'all can do to scare me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
fuch toy
post Jul 15 2003, 09:27 AM
Post #12

Unregistered

GEX motors suck....I've seen many over the years that have been torn down after they faiiled and then checked for parts.....cranks that have not been turned, mismatched rods, bad valve jobs....they re-use parts and do half assed rebuilds. Run away.

The biggest hassle on the 76 is the heads. They have the air injection ports. If they can not be rebuilt you need to find 76 style heads or tap a set for the injectors. Arghh....but only one more smog test..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Alfred
post Jul 15 2003, 10:11 AM
Post #13

Unregistered

You can get this

- 039 100 031 X SHORT ENGINE EXCHANGE
74 KW, 100 DIN-PS WITH CYLINDER HEAD
OIL COOLER FLYWHEEL MODEL 039.GB

directly from your local Porsche dealer but it will cost you $3724.60. See http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ng+parts+on+pet .

Alfred
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Jul 16 2003, 03:50 PM
Post #14

Society Is A Hole

Am I reading this correctly? A brand new engine for $3k?

If so, it's a serious contender. I can afford it (as much as I can afford any of this, which is to say thank dog for my sterling credit rating), and it very much appeals to my "solve every last little fscking problem in one fell swoop whenever possible" personality.
+Quote Post
Alfred
post Jul 16 2003, 05:32 PM
Post #15

Unregistered

Phone your local Porsche dealer and ask them but it probably doesn't include all the fuel injection stuff. Don't let them tell you it's not available ... I contacted the Porsche dealer here too and they said it's retail price is $ 5773.14 (Cdn) exchange.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 16 2003, 09:55 PM
Post #16

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Queenie, Glad you made it over here from the Rennlist Webforums.. Post a pic of your car when you get a chance..

Geoff
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 16 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #17

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

Welcome Queenie,
I just picked up a complete 73 2.0 so they are out there if you keep your eyes open and let it out that you're in the market. Posting here is the best thing one can do when looking for parts. They seem to come outta the walls (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
One will come along soon. Good luck & happy hunting.
bruce
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jul 16 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #18

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Hey Bruce, if we're on time, who the hell cares where we're going? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 17 2003, 12:20 AM
Post #19

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

VSG...
exactly... my thoughts exactly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) besides,
no matter where ya go...
here you are, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 17 2003, 11:20 AM
Post #20

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jul 16 2003, 03:32 PM)
Phone your local Porsche dealer and ask them but it probably doesn't include all the fuel injection stuff. Don't let them tell you it's not available ... I contacted the Porsche dealer here too and they said it's retail price is $ 5773.14 (Cdn) exchange.

Geeze!

I'm not charging enough for my longblocks!

My price is a bit better than half that price.

I bet it's not a "new" engine but a rebuilt.
Do they ask for a core?

They rebuilt all of the North American VW T1 and T4 (including 914) engines in Toronto for years. They don't rebuild them anymore, but they have a whole bunch of them in the werehouse in Ajax. (Ontario, Canada)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 01:26 AM