Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 2.0L Rustoration, Restoration turned OT garage build
Superhawk996
post Dec 31 2020, 03:46 PM
Post #401

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

File Under Two Steps Backward, One Step Forward.

First step backwards was removal of the driver side floor pan that was already puddle welded in more than a dozen spots. Removing spot welds is bad. Removing puddle welds is way worse. Not only in terms of the time it takes but also in the carnage it does to the panel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) More on this later.

Fabricated the heater cable guide tubes that couldn't be fitted with the floor pan in place. Thought I had them close enough and brazed them into position.

All the aforementioned activity largely occured between 9pm and 1:30 am Tuesday night. Waking up the next morning my neck and back were so sore I took a day off to recover. Doing all this without a rotisserie is just masochism on my part. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I still think I'm further ahead vs. stopping to build a rotisserie but I'm sure paying for it.

So after recovering I hit it again today.

Second step backward was having to un-braze the heater guide tubes and the throttle cable tube after finding they were sitting about 4-5mm too low preventing the floor pan from being reseated properly to the tunnel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

When I installed the tube bundle the other night, it was sitting about 4mm low in the tunnel bracket but being tired I figured there would be clearance. I thought filling the gap with braze wouldn't be an issue. I couldn't have been more wrong.

After un-brazing and then moving the bundle right into hard contact with the tunnel bracket, here is the clearance. The fuzzy grey on the bottom is the edge view of the driver floorpan. The tube in the foreground is the clutch cable tube, the one closest to the floorpan at the rear is the throttle cable tube. Just barely clears!

Attached Image

Tunnel lines fabricated, and brazed in proper postions.

After moving everything back to to be in hard contact with the bracket, it just barely clears with about 2mm of clearnace and the floor pan once again fits to the tunnel properly. One Step Forward. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Looking from rear:

Attached Image

Looking from front:

Attached Image

Next up repair the carnage to the floorpan perimeter where the puddle welds were removed.

Ordered new stainless brake line kit from PMB and a stainless fuel line set from Tangerine. These are getting installed prior to the floopan going back in!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 2 2021, 10:56 AM
Post #402

914 Guru

Floor pan flanges have been repaired.

Rear floor pan flange was the worst. Had to make and splice in a new flange to replace the part that had to have the puddle welds ground out to remove the pan.

Before:

Attached Image

After:

Attached Image

The side flange along the longitudinal was much easier. The holes were intermittently spaced and easily filled just by welding them back up and re-drilling the holes.

Hope to get the driver side pan reinstalled today. Will then wait for the brake tubes and the fuel lines before putting in the passenger side pan.

+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 2 2021, 03:11 PM
Post #403

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 27 2020, 09:02 PM) *

Looks like you've had your own trials to handle this weekend. How fantastic would it be to have an assembly sequence manual! Can't count the number of times I've had to assembly things twice, or even thrice because I didn't really this thingy-mi-bob needed to go in first. What ever you end up doing, I know it will be done right. Looking good! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

BB: the best part of this restoration, what goes first impacts what goes twelfth impacts ..... so goes the madness. As long as we keep moving forward the finish line is out there somewhere. I am sure the factory had the procedure but restoration is a complete new game.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 4 2021, 07:15 AM
Post #404

914 Guru

Still buttoning up loose ends before the floor pans can go in.

Throttle cable is well supported since it snakes behind a sheet metal doubler inside the tunnel. This was OEM routing.

Here is a quick picture of the fabrication of the throttle cable retention bracket that secures the end of the throttle cable tube.

Attached Image

This is the belt and suspenders approch to securing the clutch cable tube. I used two retention bracketes vs. OEM single bracket. I also put a couple dabs of braze between those.

I won't be dealing with a broken clutch tube anytime in my lifetime.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jan 4 2021, 07:49 AM
Post #405

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This is aome amazing work hawk. Nice to see it coming together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 4 2021, 09:14 AM
Post #406

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I like that tube reinforcement. Wish I had done that. I did add some reinforcement, but nothing as nice as this.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 11 2021, 07:36 AM
Post #407

914 Guru

OK I'm fully recovered the steps backwards and I'm moving forward again.

Tangerine fuel lines and PMB stainless brake tube were installed into the tunnel while everthing was wide open.

Attached Image

Next up was to put some Eastwood frame coating inside the pedal support bracket. I forgot to do this last time. I had written it off since I had the driver side floorpan tacked in. Well, since it had to come out to get the tunnel tubes installed, now was the time to fix that mistake.

Attached Image

I've finally sprung for a supplied air painting hood. Man what a difference. Nice fresh air, cool breeze blowing in your face. No goggles getting paint misted and fogged. I should have done this years ago.

Attached Image

Moved on to primering the passenger side floorpan with 2K and then spent the entire day yesterday fitting the passenger side floorpan.

Attached Image

Got my work cut out for me now. Literally more than a hundred and maybe about 200 rosette welds to make to get all this secured. Plus there is a long, long seam down the length of the floor pan that butts the two side together that will take forever!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 11 2021, 08:16 AM
Post #408

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Are the ss fuel lines in for just a trial fit? I would wait on their permanent install until after paint. It only takes 5 minutes with the engine out.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 11 2021, 08:17 AM
Post #409

Advanced Member

Great progress, where did you find the supplied air hood?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 11 2021, 09:05 AM
Post #410

914 Guru

Looking great! And yes, I am jealous of that hood.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 11 2021, 12:35 PM
Post #411

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 11 2021, 09:16 AM) *

Are the ss fuel lines in for just a trial fit? I would wait on their permanent install until after paint. It only takes 5 minutes with the engine out.

@mepstein

No they will stay in. I'm sure it would be straight forward though if the car were up high, and there were only two jackstands involved.

When the chassis is on the build cart it's not quite so simple to manipulate them to get them installed.

I'll just release the lines from the front grommet and pull them back about 5" to paint the fire wall. Obviously, I will quickly tape them though so as not to wreck that shiny stainless steel goodness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I considered brazing them in to get rid of the grommets and make the chassis a little more water tight. In reality, that is a lost cause due to the shift rod bushing, the park brake cable tubes, etc. They will get grommets once I have some paint on it.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 11 2021, 12:44 PM
Post #412

914 Guru

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 11 2021, 09:17 AM) *

Great progress, where did you find the supplied air hood?

@930cabman

Amazon. Hobby Air hood from Axis.

Be careful with cartridge respirators and urethane/epoxy (isocyanate paints). You cannot tell when the cartridge is isocynanate saturated. I've always just done small jobs and made sure the cartridges were fresh that day.

Needless to say, there is no cartridge manufacturer that will say their cartridge is acceptable for isocyanate use.

I just got tired of having to worry about it. Should have done this sooner.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 11 2021, 01:00 PM
Post #413

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 11 2021, 11:44 AM) *

Be careful with cartridge respirators and urethane/epoxy (isocyanate paints). You cannot tell when the cartridge is isocynanate saturated. I've always just done small jobs and made sure the cartridges were fresh that day.

That's what I've done. I'll use cartridges for basic solvent based stuff as long as I can't smell anything, but before doing anything that uses a catalyst, I open fresh cartridges.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 11 2021, 01:06 PM
Post #414

Advanced Member

It's a miracle we live through half (or more) of this stuff. Thanks, I will be looking for the hood
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 11 2021, 01:27 PM
Post #415

914 Guru

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 11 2021, 02:06 PM) *

It's a miracle we live through half (or more) of this stuff. Thanks, I will be looking for the hood

For sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I always joke with my woodworking friends that any sissy can make sawdust . . . real men make things from metal.

No disrespect to any woodworkers here. There is certainly an art to wood work too. I just refuse to admit that to my closest friends. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 11 2021, 01:54 PM
Post #416

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 11 2021, 12:27 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 11 2021, 02:06 PM) *

For sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I always joke with my woodworking friends that any sissy can make sawdust . . . real men make things from metal.

No disrespect to any woodworkers here. There is certainly an art to wood work too. I just refuse to admit that to my closest friends. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Disrespect taken! I used to think the same think as a lifelong woodworker. Then I dove into my 914 project. Guess what. Woodworking is harder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 11 2021, 02:22 PM
Post #417

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 11 2021, 02:54 PM) *

Disrespect taken! I used to think the same think as a lifelong woodworker. Then I dove into my 914 project. Guess what. Woodworking is harder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

@bbrock
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Let me know next time you hold your woodworking dimensions to 0.001" or less.

Just remember it's a piece of precision machined steel that is cutting that wood! Just sayin' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Just couldn't resist stiring the pot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

In all seriousness I hold wood working in high regard. When it's done well, it really is an art form. I have an acquaintance that deals in high end cabinetry that costs more than my house is worth. The workmanship is amazing.

Likewise, I've seen some of your woodwork and would hire you in a second when I decide the other house needs cabinets!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 11 2021, 02:51 PM
Post #418

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 11 2021, 03:22 PM) *

@bbrock
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Let me know next time you hold your woodworking dimensions to 0.001" or less.

Just remember it's a piece of precision machined steel that is cutting that wood! Just sayin' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Just couldn't resist stiring the pot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

In all seriousness I hold wood working in high regard. When it's done well, it really is an art form. I have an acquaintance that deals in high end cabinetry that costs more than my house is worth. The workmanship is amazing.

Likewise, I've seen some of your woodwork and would hire you in a second when I decide the other house needs cabinets!

We fabricate new custom windows and doors to less than 1/64", generally about .005. have a look at Jagulick.com
I have been lucky to have a solid background in both woods and metals.
All this stuff is very similar, it's all art .... just different materials
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 11 2021, 04:21 PM
Post #419

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 11 2021, 01:22 PM) *

@bbrock

Let's make this a topic of discussion the next time you pass through my way. Could be fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SavingManuals
post Feb 8 2021, 10:23 AM
Post #420

Member No.: 25,044
Region Association: None

I'm new to the 914 community; so new that I don't yet have a car. Hoping to find a decent one here in Michigan. If you ever want an extra pair of untrained hands, some moral support, and maybe a couple beers, let me know! I'd love to see your project in person and I'd probably learn a bunch to boot. (Yeah, with a mask for covid). I'm about a 1/2 hr north of Troy. Regardless, looks like you're doing some magic there!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:04 PM