Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 915 Trans use and Stated Modification question, Has anyone done this modification?
pdlightning
post Dec 21 2018, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,660
Region Association: Southern California

I have read when modifying a 915 trans to be installed in the V8 914 that to be sure to shift the transaxle into all the gears after the ring gear is flipped - you will notice that one of the internal shifter rails will need to be shortened - just enough to clear the ring gear.

Ring and pinion sets (4.43, 4.38, 3.88 and 3.10 ratios). As I remember, I got the 3.10 ratio as instructed.

Any 914-8 or 914-6 mod people that can comment on this? If this is true, I have to remove and modify my trans again before attempting to drive the car. Also, if it makes a difference, the ring and pinion that is installed is a higher geared for better RPM drivability at top speed with the LS mod. Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 22 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Some clear without any mods, some need some work so nothing rubs. You definitely want to check before you put power to the trans.
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Dec 22 2018, 11:19 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 22 2018, 07:52 AM) *

Some clear without any mods, some need some work so nothing rubs. You definitely want to check before you put power to the trans.

Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 23 2018, 09:33 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 22 2018, 09:52 AM) *

Hmmmm.....guess I'll be checking the same thing.
thanks to both of you for the heads up.
I have to go back in anyway.... better now than later.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 23 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Did you use the Wevo, Vellios, or other kit for the conversion?
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 23 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 23 2018, 01:44 PM) *

Me ? Martin Bott
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 23 2018, 01:23 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I used a cable shifter for the 915 and the now, nla trans hanger from PMS. Only issue I have is I will need a custom set of mufflers from Ben since the cableshifter sticks too far out the back of the trans to run a normal exhaust.
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Dec 23 2018, 10:26 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 23 2018, 12:23 PM) *

I used a cable shifter for the 915 and the now, nla trans hanger from PMS. Only issue I have is I will need a custom set of mufflers from Ben since the cableshifter sticks too far out the back of the trans to run a normal exhaust.

Mine too is a special cable shifter with a MR 2 shifter box. Will be doing an engine/trans cradle to support the LS/915 combo. Also an electric water pump from Maziere. Just don’t know which model yet, maybe a 316.
+Quote Post
914dave
post Dec 24 2018, 05:46 AM
Post #9

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262
Region Association: North East States

I used the early Vellios kit. None of the shift rods interfered with the ring gear in my case.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 24 2018, 02:03 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mine was also the Vellios kit and had no interference issues.
+Quote Post
Larry.Hubby
post Dec 24 2018, 07:07 PM
Post #11

Member who doesn't post much, but has a long time in 914s

Member No.: 3,172
Region Association: Northern California

I used a copy of the factory kit made by Vellios (like the Martin Bott kit, not like his later kit that he sold under his own name) for an outfit named Jade Car, and my trans did need the shift rods shortened. The trans I started with was a '78 911SC box.
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Jan 12 2019, 06:56 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(914dave @ Dec 24 2018, 04:46 AM) *

I used the early Vellios kit. None of the shift rods interfered with the ring gear in my case.

Thanks
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Apr 16 2019, 05:55 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(pdlightning @ Dec 21 2018, 10:47 PM) *

I have read when modifying a 915 trans to be installed in the V8 914 that to be sure to shift the transaxle into all the gears after the ring gear is flipped - you will notice that one of the internal shifter rails will need to be shortened - just enough to clear the ring gear.

Ring and pinion sets (4.43, 4.38, 3.88 and 3.10 ratios). As I remember, I got the 3.10 ratio as instructed.

Any 914-8 or 914-6 mod people that can comment on this? If this is true, I have to remove and modify my trans again before attempting to drive the car. Also, if it makes a difference, the ring and pinion that is installed is a higher geared for better RPM drivability at top speed with the LS mod. Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

TRANS MOD UPDATE

I have disassembled the 915 trans with the flopped ring gear. The shift rods tolerances were to close to the ring gear so we shortened them and clearanced the side of the rods that faces the ring gear. Both now clear and trans assembled.

This would have been a major destruction to my trans and expensive new ring gear if not for the expertise that is shared on this forum. I appreciate everyone's input and expertise. Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Apr 20 2019, 07:41 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(pdlightning @ Apr 16 2019, 04:55 PM) *

TRANS MOD UPDATE

I have disassembled the 915 trans with the flopped ring gear. The shift rods tolerances were to close to the ring gear so we shortened them and clearanced the side of the rods that faces the ring gear. Both now clear and trans assembled.

This would have been a major destruction to my trans and expensive new ring gear if not for the expertise that is shared on this forum. I appreciate everyone's input and expertise. Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

What are using to drive the speedometer? Hall sensor add?
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Apr 20 2019, 10:11 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Apr 20 2019, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(pdlightning @ Apr 16 2019, 04:55 PM) *

TRANS MOD UPDATE

What are using to drive the speedometer? Hall sensor add?

Bought GPS speedo from Speedhut!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:39 AM