Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5x7", 4x6" which speakers work for the stock pod?
BENBRO02
post Dec 29 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 26 2018, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Dec 24 2018, 09:31 AM) *

I cut the slats out of the stock housings and mounted new speakers on the outside for more clearance.

@benbro02
What size speakers are these? They actually look better than the aftermarket 6" round offerings.

I bought these about 10 years ago from Crutchfield. They are Boston Acoustics. I'm not sure about size. Putting a good speaker behind the stock plastic grills seems like a bad idea to me. The slats can't be good for the acoustics.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 29 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Dec 29 2018, 06:48 PM) *

I bought these about 10 years ago from Crutchfield. They are Boston Acoustics. I'm not sure about size. Putting a good speaker behind the stock plastic grills seems like a bad idea to me. The slats can't be good for the acoustics.

I'll bet the difference in real world sound between grills would be negligible as long as you isolated the speakers well enough to not rattle the plastic. An audiophile might notice the difference, but WTF would an audiophile have a 914?

Still, I like your solution. Almost makes me wish my original speaker boxes weren't in such good shape... almost. It sure opens up speaker possibilities with minimal modification. And if someone wanted to stick with the period look, I'll bet you could source some period correct aftermarket grills that would blend right in. I know that plastic Jensen grills were ubiquitous in the high school parking lot when I attended in the 70s, and they would have looked right at home down there.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 29 2018, 09:51 PM
Post #23

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) because we like a quirky mid engine car that is fun to drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Oh and I would never expect sound to the level I can produce in a listening room.

But then my listening room is a workshop with a set of JBLs powered by a Dayton Audio BT Amp with a Dayton Audio Sub.

Now I have a friend if I really want to go and listen who runs McIntosh Mono Blocks with Magnapans, and SuperCD player, that system costs more than I have in tools and 914s. One speaker cable was $6000 for 6 feet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I have no idea what he spent on cabling alone. But then each their own, and it is so nice to go and sit there and just get immured in sound. In my youth I was a professional classical musician, played with a very well know orchestra or two. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) We did the 1812 overture and blew out the windows with the cannon fire. Live performance or Magnapans are about the only thing I will sit down and listen to, just to immerse myself in the experience.

Cars, garages, house it is all crap, might as well just have it as background music and go to work.

I do have my eyes on a set of McIntosh speakers for the workshop if I can get them at the right price - like free. Thats how the JBLs got there - free .Audio gear I am a CSOB.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 29 2018, 10:58 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

I like your style. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I'm a pseudo-audiophile myself but also a CSOB so the home system is a moderate price of diminishing returns system built mostly of Onkyo and Klipsch parts. When I really want to enjoy music, I sit in the sweet spot on my couch with vinyl spinning on the Bang and Olufsen turntable I've had since college and immerse myself in it. I don't try to do that in a car, and for sure not a 914. I want the stereo in my teener to sound good, but it will never sound great, so why even try? I just want a good soundtrack to accompany the driving experience.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 30 2018, 01:38 PM
Post #25

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Great sound is meant for home, studio, or concert hall. Car audio has gotten extreme, but when I need to fill my 914 with concrete for it to sound good, that is not going to happen. Well maybe if I am buried in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/skull.gif)
+Quote Post
Biggles
post Dec 30 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 16,353
Region Association: England

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 24 2018, 03:13 PM) *

Did a search, the speakers listed were NLA, I know there's clearance issues with the big magnets of today's speakers.
Just wondering if anyone has done this lately and have a model number for a speaker that fits. I realize you have to trim to fit.
The guy doesn't want pods, I asked, he wants something cheap that fits the stock housing. He just listens to news radio and baseball games.

Mark
The closest I’ve got to these speakers is this place in germany
https://www.koenigs-klassik-radios.de/en/lo...r-cars/a-31149/

The foam needs some trimming as did the metal frame very slightly at the top but they fitted for me, but it was still very tight if the heater pipes are installed behind
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 30 2018, 05:38 PM
Post #27

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

The best sound I've ever gotten in a 914 is from the Radio Shack Minimus 7's, powered with a 50 watt per ch amp and an Alphasonic 7 band EQ in the console.

The Minimus 7's are a diecast metal, sealed/tuned enclosure that's really decent for a low priced speaker. They had a wall mount bracket kit, and I mounted them with that bolted to the door post. Too bad you can't get them new anymore. Years ago you could get kits to upgrade the drivers.

I lucked up on the Alphasonic EQ fitting in the console (with slight mods). I just made a new (shorter) panel for the gauges, and it looked like it belonged in the console. The thing I like about an EQ is you can shape the sound, which helps in a car with a removable roof.
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Dec 30 2018, 07:59 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

I just bought a pair of dual 6x4in.from flaps of the shelf. fit the stock grill. made a custom plate from veneer paneling and they fit perfect. $28.00 all in. they sound fine. fine audio in these cars is a myth especially with carbs.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 30 2018, 08:27 PM
Post #29

I used a set of Infinity Kappa 4"x6" 2-Way Loudspeakers 75-25,000 Hrzs, just have to add a small sub to fill out the bottome end.

Just a tad of 2 inches mounted, I paired it with this amp

And plan on taking the two other channels and rolling them into a small sub, which I will place under the Aluminum pedal boards I have for both cars.

Still looking for the sub, but I will wait until I get the boards mounted to get a good measurement of the space.

Gas tanks are out of both cars so now would be the time to drill holes with out adding new drain holes to the tanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
sungilhan
post Dec 30 2018, 09:15 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 12,704
Region Association: North East States

Look for 4x6M or 4x6 with multiple mounting holes. 5x7 will not work. Generally the less expensive speakers have a more shallow mounting depth. Infinity 4x6 plate speakers are great as long as the depth works. I had them in a 944 20 years ago and they sounded great. Now I have 6.5 in the previously mentioned pods.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Dec 30 2018, 09:55 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I used old infinity kappas, similar to 914forme (mine are the original green cones (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) to match my car)
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-BTdLfBUjmOs/p...pa-462-1cf.html
Their 4x6 plates work well are are good speakers for theirs size.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 30 2018, 11:24 PM
Post #32

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Dec 30 2018, 03:38 PM) *
The best sound I've ever gotten in a 914 is from the Radio Shack Minimus 7's, powered with a 50 watt per ch amp and an Alphasonic 7 band EQ in the console.

The Minimus 7's are a diecast metal, sealed/tuned enclosure that's really decent for a low priced speaker. They had a wall mount bracket kit, and I mounted them with that bolted to the door post. Too bad you can't get them new anymore. Years ago you could get kits to upgrade the drivers ...
I still have a pair of the MINIMUS-7s on my work bench in the garage. I've recently been refurbishing some old car stereo units (mainly replacing the drive belts in the old cassette decks), so I dug the speakers out of storage.

BTW, if you need belts for tape decks or turntables (and styli), I found a great source: https://www.turntableneedles.com/
+Quote Post
alexkirkham
post Dec 31 2018, 12:01 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 22,066

I second the minimus 7's! I don't think it's possible to get any proper bass from the stock pod without heavy equalisation...

I removed the pod covers and tucked in some heco legatos: triangular in shape, so fit nicely in the space and you can still pull the front bonnet lever... A bit higher quality than minimus 7s (debatably), and better shape - still need a bit of bass boost (though of the sort that any modern stereo can provide) but the power handling allows it....

https://archiwum.allegro.pl/oferta/kolumien...6926100578.html

The small sealed metal enclosures reproduce voice with impressively low coloration: I listen happily to the radio at 70mph....I love these speakers and use then in a bedroom and tucked in front of the seats in my beetle...

with a little focal amp that sits on the metal shelf behind where the radio would be, with no need for straps:

https://www.focal.com/en/technical-support/...ifiers/fd-2-350

alex

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 31 2018, 08:29 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

no way to ever get bass out of the factory speaker location no matter what is installed. There is an air hose right behind the speaker that absorbs any bass that may be made. By the configuration of the doors, Porsche planned for the 1977 914 to install speakers there.

To get bass, we remove the foam block at the right firewall and replace it with a custom made plywood plate and install a bass speaker. Works perfectly:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Spe...N-BAA31934.html

It is easy to make and is hidden away for no one to see but everyone to hear!

QUOTE(alexkirkham @ Dec 30 2018, 11:01 PM) *

I second the minimus 7's! I don't think it's possible to get any proper bass from the stock pod without heavy equalisation...

I removed the pod covers and tucked in some heco legatos: triangular in shape, so fit nicely in the space and you can still pull the front bonnet lever... A bit higher quality than minimus 7s (debatably), and better shape - still need a bit of bass boost (though of the sort that any modern stereo can provide) but the power handling allows it....

https://archiwum.allegro.pl/oferta/kolumien...6926100578.html

The small sealed metal enclosures reproduce voice with impressively low coloration: I listen happily to the radio at 70mph....I love these speakers and use then in a bedroom and tucked in front of the seats in my beetle...

with a little focal amp that sits on the metal shelf behind where the radio would be, with no need for straps:

https://www.focal.com/en/technical-support/...ifiers/fd-2-350

alex
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 31 2018, 12:47 PM
Post #35

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Gee... it's nice to see some can read (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) right from the start I said it has to fit inside a stock enclosure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

This thread is about speakers that will fit , thanks Jim, 914forme, Biggles, etc and even the doctor's first post at least they were on topic. I've passed the info on and we'll see what he goes for.

I showed him the Morph pods w/Pioneer 6.5, Morph sub box, 200w Alpine amp and Kenwood ipod AM/FM/CD that are going into my 914.
He's not interested.
He has a dealer installed AM/FM cassette with a blaupunkt 50w amp.

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 31 2018, 01:11 PM
Post #36

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

there is still some new old stock out there for the blaupunkt speakers with the internal magnet:
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 31 2018, 11:47 AM) *

Gee... it's nice to see some can read (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) right from the start I said it has to fit inside a stock enclosure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

This thread is about speakers that will fit , thanks Jim, 914forme, Biggles, etc and even the doctor's first post at least they were on topic. I've passed the info on and we'll see what he goes for.

I showed him the Morph pods w/Pioneer 6.5, Morph sub box, 200w Alpine amp and Kenwood ipod AM/FM/CD that are going into my 914.
He's not interested.
He has a dealer installed AM/FM cassette with a blaupunkt 50w amp.

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 29 2019, 10:45 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Feel like someone did a really nice thread about creating a board to mount separate miss and tweeters in the stock speaker enclosures.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 29 2019, 11:25 AM
Post #38

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 25 2018, 04:57 PM) *

Is it the depth of the big magnets that is the problem? If so, anyone know the minimum depth needed?

I didn't see anyone answer this important question, YES the newer speakers with their larger magnets encroach on the paper foil heater tubes hidden by the pods
Ive seen too many of these where the installers solution to fitment was to push the pods into place resulting in crushing the tubes behind limiting the air flow to the cowl & valves & or having to mash the tube exiting the long for the same reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 29 2019, 03:47 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 29 2019, 08:45 AM) *

Feel like someone did a really nice thread about creating a board to mount separate miss and tweeters in the stock speaker enclosures.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Okay, found a good thread on this:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=54611

Think there might be one more, which used thicker wood to mount a tweeter and a mid? Anyone?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 16 2020, 09:36 AM
Post #40

914 Guru

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 30 2018, 07:27 PM) *

I used a set of Infinity Kappa 4"x6" 2-Way Loudspeakers 75-25,000 Hrzs, just have to add a small sub to fill out the bottome end.

Just a tad of 2 inches mounted, I paired it with this amp

And plan on taking the two other channels and rolling them into a small sub, which I will place under the Aluminum pedal boards I have for both cars.

Still looking for the sub, but I will wait until I get the boards mounted to get a good measurement of the space.

Gas tanks are out of both cars so now would be the time to drill holes with out adding new drain holes to the tanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

@914forme

Hey Stephen,

Did you ever settle on a sub? If so, how do you like it? I just ordered a pair of Kappas and will likely follow your lead. I'll wait to see how the speakers sound on paired just with the head unit but will likely add a sub and amp to the passenger footwell to round out the bass as I don't expect much from these little speakers.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:36 AM