Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5x7", 4x6" which speakers work for the stock pod?
914forme
post Jan 16 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #41

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

@bbrock - I have not, but I have been thinking about this one. Will not win any contest based on impact to chest, but should round down the lower frequencies to fill out that void left by smallish plate speakers.

Review made me laugh "I'll start by saying, yes I was the one with a BD1000 pushing a pair of 12s. Ah the glory days. Here's the thing. I'm in my 40's now and have a couple kids and a wife. I love music and I love it loud. However, I'm not out to impress the kids in the high school parking lot or wake my neighbors' sleeping babies. I just wanted to improve the so so stock radio in my Hyundai accent. This little thing works well to fill that void of mid-bass that the factory speaks can't handle. My turd car is a 2013 so it came with mids and separate tweeters. That's a start. It sounded decent, but couldn't reproduce the lows without getting muddy. So, enter the Kenwood. I wired this in under the passenger seat. I also wired in some 150 hz bass blockers to eliminate the lows from the factory system. This little Kenwood fills that void nicely. It actually "thumps" pretty well. I say "tumps" in parentheses, because....well you know what I mean. Now, it will vibrate your mirrors and it will play the tones that make Drake popular. It will also hammer some double bass kicks from your favorite metal drummer. What it won't do, it won't do what a pair of 12's do with a ton of power behind them will do. It won't have your passengers looking for that knob to back off the bass. If that's what you want, this isn't your animal. If you want that "man, this is a surprisingly full sounding factory stereo sound" from your friends and family then this is your guy."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 16 2020, 12:03 PM
Post #42

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I started this thread for speakers for a customers car, my own two 914's I have morph's FG 6-1/2" round pods and I just got 914rubber's vacuum formed pods. Once I get them both running I'll do a review in a separate thread.
I'll watch this thread and maybe even do a set of stock pod speakers as a comparison.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 16 2020, 03:05 PM
Post #43

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

For my 6--
Polk Audio --I believe that we are going to put a small subwoofer in center front console.

Hoping to get a clean tight sound like I used to get from ADS small bookshelf speakers.

Bob B
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 16 2020, 04:48 PM
Post #44

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 16 2020, 01:05 PM) *

Hoping to get a clean tight sound like I used to get from ADS small bookshelf speakers.

Bob B

I think an enclosure is always going to work best with small speakers. Years ago I mounted a pair of Minimus 7's with the black die cast enclosure in the stock locations. I powered them with a 50 watt per ch (max for the speakers), I can't remember the front end I used, but I had an Alphasonic 7 band EQ that was just a touch wider than the console gauge panel, and I made it work.

I think an adjustable EQ really helps a 914, because the sound changes so much when you take off the roof
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 16 2020, 04:51 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 16 2020, 01:05 PM) *

For my 6--
Polk Audio --I believe that we are going to put a small subwoofer in center front console.

Bob B
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

^ Nice work. Right down the lines of what I am doing right now. Decided to try fairly thick ABS plastic for the board, as my speakers didn't come with that cool framework. Also trying the tweeters below the mids, for line-of-sight acoustics (an oxymoron!). No idea how that will work out, and it looks funny, but it won't matter when the speaker cloth is over them.

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jan 16 2020, 02:48 PM) *

I think an enclosure is always going to work best with small speakers. Years ago I mounted a pair of Minimus 7's with the black die cast enclosure in the stock locations. I powered them with a 50 watt per ch (max for the speakers), I can't remember the front end I used, but I had an Alphasonic 7 band EQ that was just a touch wider than the console gauge panel, and I made it work.

I think an adjustable EQ really helps a 914, because the sound changes so much when you take off the roof

Agreed, and if someone made a way to seal the back of these pods, I'd be a buyer. It's a bit outside of my fabrication level.

Had an EQ in my old setup, and will again. Definitely helps. Just wish there were more compelling choices out there. Pyle seems a bit…hmmmm.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 16 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #46

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

[quote name='horizontally-opposed' date='Jan 16 2020, 03:51 PM' post='2778130']

[/quote]

Agreed, and if someone made a way to seal the back of these pods, I'd be a buyer. It's a bit outside of my fabrication level.

Had an EQ in my old setup, and will again. Definitely helps. Just wish there were more compelling choices out there. Pyle seems a bit…hmmmm.
[/quote]

How much would adding simple foam baffles help? I'm sure not the same as a good enclosure but would they be worth it?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.crutchfieldonline.com-20845-1579217584.1.jpeg)

@914forme interesting choice on sub. I hadn't even considered an enclosed sub. Love that review!
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jan 16 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

My Audi Q7 has a sub that sits in the spare tire. Has its own integral box.

Here is one example of an aftermarket one that would probably fit in most 914 spares

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RockGhost-...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Even has a hole in center for the mount bolt. Anyone try one?
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jan 19 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 21,628

@914forme and @bbrock - the underseat sub such as the Kenwood one mentioned looks like a good way to go but is there 3" clearance under the seat?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 19 2020, 05:42 PM
Post #49

Not under the seat, but in my case under the aluminum passenger board, I am hoping there is, or lets say there will be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 19 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #50

914 Guru

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 19 2020, 03:18 PM) *

@914forme and @bbrock - the underseat sub such as the Kenwood one mentioned looks like a good way to go but is there 3" clearance under the seat?

Looks like you got your answer on the subwoofer thread. Obviously won't work under the seat. I was also curious where Stephen plans to mount it.

I'm still leaning toward building a custom box that replaces the foot well foam exactly and mounting a little 8" sub with a metal grill flush to the surface to protect the cone. Then cover with the perlon carpet. I know I'll lose some sound quality doing that, but I'm not looking for stellar sound, just something to round out the small kick panel speakers. This sub has my attention at the moment and then I could drive the sub and speakers with a small 50-60wattx4 channel amp.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jan 19 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #51

Yup - footwell foam area seems like the place. Was REALLY hoping under the seat would work....
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jan 19 2020, 07:02 PM
Post #52

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Bob have you fit those yet? They look like they would still impede on the heat tube?
You might find you have to mod your bracket to recess the plate closer to the grill
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 19 2020, 07:46 PM
Post #53

@bbrock nice speaker and that area for a ported or sealed enclosure might just be doable.

Now to dig up the measurements, and run it through my old sub box calculator.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) It is still on 3.5" disk, I can't even remember what OS it ran on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jan 20 2020, 09:10 AM
Post #54

What are the dimensions left if the footwell foam is removed? Wondering if one of the underseat subs would fit there....
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 21 2020, 02:01 PM
Post #55

burton73

QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 19 2020, 05:02 PM) *

Bob have you fit those yet? They look like they would still impede on the heat tube?
You might find you have to mod your bracket to recess the plate closer to the grill

Rich,

Eric fit them and he says he has to soften the fiber heat tube a little to put a small dent in the tube. Eric has to go ahead for extra amps and sub and some type of Bluetooth for the factory Blaupunkt. The Guitar man knows amps and sound and I am sure I will end up with a nice system.

Bob B
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 21 2020, 02:19 PM
Post #56

burton73

[quote name='
+Quote Post
theer
post Jan 21 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

If originality is important, I have a pair of original stock speakers in good condition.

Sound quality is, well, 50-year old early 70's.

+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 3 2020, 01:14 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Asked this in the subwoofer thread, but really should have asked it here.

I am planning to use an amp to power a JL 3-speaker component system in the stock speaker pods and doors. While I was going to give up and mount 6.5s on the door cards (again), I'd prefer "invisible audio" and 914Rubber's ABS plastic door card blanks have me wondering if 6.5s could be mounted behind the door cards with "perforated" basketweave vinyl...much like the early 928 speakers (see below). I'd probably use the perforated basketweave to then mark Mark's ABS panels, remove the basket weave, and drill larger holes so the sound could pass through. Not as ideal as a speaker grille, I am guessing, but…

…on black basketweave, you might not even notice the holes. But could it possibly sound okay? Thoughts? Good idea? Terrible idea? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I think I can use thicker ABS to mount the 6.5s on the doors rather than the door cards, which also appeals to me in terms of maintenance should I need to get into the doors to fix anything. JL specifies butyl tape to hold the grilles on, and we all know the fun of butyl tape…

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 3 2020, 01:41 PM
Post #59

914 Guru

I seem to recall an old VW-Porsche Magazine project that mounted door speakers in a 914 behind perforated panels. I see no reason it wouldn't work given that it's not an uncommon speaker treatment. I suppose some audiophiles may scoff but I'll say it again, a 914 is not the place to expect audiophile sound. I think if you must have door speakers, this would be the most respectable way to do it.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 3 2020, 04:45 PM
Post #60

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) if I want that I’ll go to my friends walk down stairs to his listening room. Take a seat in the only chair in the room. Pickup the remote, power on the 4 McIntosh Mono Block Tube amps. And listen to what ever I want being pumped out of his floor to ceiling Magnapans. He has 4 of them.

It is unreal how close they get to real life.

We played the 1812 Overture in the 80s with the Cincinnati Pops. Unique thing about that recordings is it used live cannon fire. And not one, but Kunzel demanded it would be like being at the battle. In real life it can collapse a lung. We fired 4 cannons , period correct cannons. Blew the windows out off all the building on Campus where they recorded them for the record.

Latter that rear cd/record release and we did it in a concert hall. Imagine sitting in an orchestra, preforming for an audience and cannons are going off in Music Hall. We did not practice that way, night of the performance. Your back stage and you meet the cannon crews. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Let me tell you, that was one of the loudest performance I ever was a part off. Give you an idea, Kunzel beefed up the brass section, specifically the low brass. We had 4 tubas’ 4 bass trombones and 8 trombones. And when we got loud it was LOUD! Then the cannons went off, I figured we killed a few people.

Buddy’s setup is as close as I have ever gotten to that day. I can close my eyes and still see the expression on the audiences face.

That night has been seared into my memories (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) I want to die in that room listening to that recording. The greatest musical experience of my career.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:42 AM