Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5x7", 4x6" which speakers work for the stock pod?
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 3 2020, 05:51 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

^ Man, how cool is that? Makes me miss working with big systems as a "sound guy" for live performances, but nothing so dramatic as that. Even then, though, there is simply nothing like a big system. Or even a smaller one for a live performance. At least, nothing that I have gotten to experience.

I guess my question is simpler: How much of a loss in sound quality for, say, a JL Audio 6.5-inch "bass" speaker in a 914 door between using the supplied JL grille and hiding the speaker behind perforated basketweave—mimicking the factory setup for the 928?

I imagine there is going to be some loss of sound from the JL tweeters and mids in the factory speaker boxes due to the grilles and the factory "cloth," but interestingly the JL manual's "ideal" suggested layout of the 3-way system puts the mids and tweets in a generic interior right where the 914 has its speaker boxes with the 6.5s in the doors right where they have to go in a 914 door.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 3 2020, 11:23 PM
Post #62

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This is only a guess, but I would bet with the engine running and the car motoring down the road and a nice perf pattern in the vinyl, the difference will be minimal since your mids and tweets will be in the speaker boxes. Sound in a 914 is always going to be a compromise.

FYI, I mounted my 4x6 Infinity Kappas in the stock speaker boxes and hooked them up to a modern Blaupunkt Nurnberg head unit tonight just to see how it sounds. As expected, it sounds like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) Or to put it another way, it probably sounds a lot like the original stereo systems installed in these cars in the 70s. Definitely need an amp and sub to make it palatable. I may add a pair of those foam baffles behind the Kappas to see if they help seal behind the speakers a little better to project more sound.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:59 PM