Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 on Ebay Buyer Beware!
Mike Fitton
post Dec 28 2018, 02:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Be careful with this one, was for sale on Samba back in 2014.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-/...=p2056016.l4276

For sale on the Samba 06/2014:
1970 914/6 This car had a complete restoration done before being in an accident . Matching #s . Engine runs fine .
Comes with a running driving 1975 914 donnor car .

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Dec 28 2018, 02:51 PM
Post #2

I just sent the seller on Ebay a copy of the above picture, thought he might want to include it in his photo gallery, Lol!
+Quote Post
sithot
post Dec 28 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,090
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 28 2018, 03:51 PM) *

I just sent the seller on Ebay a copy of the above picture, thought he might want to include it in his photo gallery, Lol!

Or not.... lol

(I'd like to see under the "bonnet".)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 28 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

I reported it
+Quote Post
Kaeferfreund
post Dec 29 2018, 06:38 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,172
Region Association: Germany

Wow, that's indeed unbelievable.

There are just two alternatives:
a) the current owner has been scammed himself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
or b) the seller is incredibly brazen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Let's have a closer look at the ebay-description:

"factory Porsche 914-6 (ok, a lot of parts) , irish green exterior on black interior (right), my factory Porsche mechanic just freshened up the engine, just rebuilt the carbs, engine and drivetrain in excellent condition, all lights and electrical working in good condition, suspension and the pan are very clean, lines on the car are good, clean interior, all factory 6 parts (cannot be checked, when excatly this has been done?), car was painted and going through a restoration, about 95% complete (not lied so far;-) ), new windshield being installed with all new seals, factory fuchs included as 1 wheel is getting finished,a drivers car, not concourse but could be, priced accordingly.
I got the car from a private owner that had the car painted and needed assembly (interesting: knowing the dammage or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ), let the car sit, and now just getting around to it, too many projects, getting older thus deciding to thin out the stable in battling the wife, deciding to keep one of my turbos. was told in doing research seems to be matching numbers car from all the research done so far (just the parts of it in the rear, right?), Porsche COA pending (worthless, because it's just telling the factory condition). can drop off at the nearest shipper for export (want to send it abroad to an unsuspecting buyer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), will answer questions to the best of my ability in a timely fashion, thanks."

Well, I expect this ad will disappear near-term. Otherwsie it it remains exciting to wait for the reaction (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm going to check the typical buyers in Germany ...
+Quote Post
sithot
post Dec 29 2018, 06:47 AM
Post #6

"If you see the tree you run into it means you have understeered. If you hear the tree you oversteered." - Walter Röhrl
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 29 2018, 07:36 AM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

You guys crack me up. You post "Woo Hoo!!!" Great deal for that structurally compermised patched up rust bucket done by a guy that has never welded in his life but buyer beware for a crash damaged car you have never personally inspected and would never purchase anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Maybe this car had a top shelf repair. Looks very repairable to me. Maybe it was hacked. Why not meet the owner and check out the repair first then report the facts not a guess. Seems to be priced in the range of a repaired car.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Dec 29 2018, 09:36 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Thank you Rick.

Report what to whom?? That there was a once wrecked, now repaired car for sale on EBay? wow that is unbelievable.

Not saying that any buyer of this car should not do his diligence. I hope any would at this asking price. And during such diligence, the quality of the repair will set the value

I guess just because it is a six it means it can never be repaired without being somehow a scam. Was it the fact that these pictures were taken in front of what looks to obviously be a repair shop what tipped you off that this guy was trying to hide something?

Buyer beware has always been the standard, sometimes on here seller beware is more the case.

Tryin to keep it real.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 29 2018, 10:31 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 29 2018, 08:36 AM) *

You guys crack me up. You post "Woo Hoo!!!" Great deal for that structurally compermised patched up rust bucket done by a guy that has never welded in his life but buyer beware for a crash damaged car you have never personally inspected and would never purchase anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Maybe this car had a top shelf repair. Looks very repairable to me. Maybe it was hacked. Why not meet the owner and check out the repair first then report the facts not a guess. Seems to be priced in the range of a repaired car.

I’m always surprised by how many guys won’t take the time or spend the money to inspect because the car is too far away but are very disappointed and even angry when the car shows up and doesn’t match the buyers description.

We just had a very experienced buyer send us a 911 that was listed on eBay as a numbers matching car that didn’t run. Took off the fan and fiberglass shroud and had a 8”x8” “window” into the engine. Total distraction. He’s in a good place and could take the hit but agreed not to buy sight unseen anymore.
+Quote Post
sithot
post Dec 29 2018, 10:45 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 29 2018, 11:31 AM) *

We just had a very experienced buyer send us a 911 that was listed on eBay as a numbers matching car that didn’t run. Took off the fan and fiberglass shroud and had a 8”x8” “window” into the engine. Total distraction. He’s in a good place and could take the hit but agreed not to buy sight unseen anymore.

What state did that come out of?
+Quote Post
jdamiano
post Dec 29 2018, 10:59 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 21,981
Region Association: South East States

The great thing about the 914 community is many of us look out for the other owners. That is the reason for this post. Even if the repairs are perfect the future owner would probably like to know the extent of the damage the car had. Also, EBay has rules and if an item is not properly discribed the buyer has recourse. If an item is reported to have a false description by a neutral third party with photo evidence the buyer will be in a much better position if he has an issue with the purchase. My guess the people criticizing it and take the buyer beware only position are people I would be afraid of.
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Dec 29 2018, 11:41 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(jdamiano @ Dec 29 2018, 08:59 AM) *

The great thing about the 914 community is many of us look out for the other owners. That is the reason for this post. Even if the repairs are perfect the future owner would probably like to know the extent of the damage the car had. Also, EBay has rules and if an item is not properly discribed the buyer has recourse. If an item is reported to have a false description by a neutral third party with photo evidence the buyer will be in a much better position if he has an issue with the purchase. My guess the people criticizing it and take the buyer beware only position are people I would be afraid of.

+1, exactly why I posted it.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Dec 29 2018, 12:47 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,674

There are many sides to any story.

I hope that the knowledge shared on this site helps many make wise decisions about buying and selling 914's for their enjoyment and profit.

I also hope that the fear generated by easily posted speculative innuendo often presented here does not preclude someone from experiencing that same joy or profit.

Such are the power and intricacies of doing business in the internet age.

As for me, I hope that the weather is good enough today that I can go out and enjoy driving the repaired car that I bought on the internet after inspecting it and satisfying myself that I was getting a square deal from someone I had no reason to fear.

But I guess I am just old school like that. Also old school enough to think maybe there might be some justice if the seller from Encino didnt show up at TD's and pop him in the nose.

Where is the Duke when we need him?
+Quote Post
lalee914
post Dec 30 2018, 01:35 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 15,521

The wrecked green car is NOT the one being advertised by Barbour on ebay. The VIN of the wrecked green /6 is 9140431862. The VIN of the gray /6 currently on ebay is 9140431341.
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Dec 30 2018, 01:45 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(lalee914 @ Dec 30 2018, 11:35 AM) *

The wrecked green car is NOT the one being advertised by Barbour on ebay. The VIN of the wrecked green /6 is 9140431862. The VIN of the gray /6 currently on ebay is 9140431341.

***Duh, no kidding! The Ebay link in the first post takes you to the 1862 car.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 30 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 28 2018, 02:51 PM) *

So the green eBay car is not the wrecked car after repairs?

If not it would be nice if someone could put eyes on it before flaming the seller.
+Quote Post
jdamiano
post Dec 30 2018, 05:13 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 21,981
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 30 2018, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 28 2018, 02:51 PM) *

So the green eBay car is not the wrecked car after repairs?

If not it would be nice if someone could put eyes on it before flaming the seller.

The green car is the one that got wrecked and repaired. The gray one is a completely different car.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Dec 31 2018, 12:28 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 29 2018, 05:36 AM) *

I agree Rick.

I bought a salvaged 2006 987 that had been fixed. They did a great job fixing it.

It is a great car and I enjoy driving it.

Chill out flaming it before anyone has seen it. It may be the right car for somebody that wants a -6.

+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 31 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #19

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

it is missing the ashtray
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sithot
post Dec 31 2018, 01:08 PM
Post #20

Smart ass answer from a friend who does this for a living. I sent him the picture/link:
Exclusive use of Celette and YEARS of experience) I've seen some really torn up stuff come out of the shop and it was perfect. No sign of clipping. No alignment issues.

What do you need, I ask?

"Chain, tree,Cutting torch, welding wire, couple of C-clamps and a 914/4 donor clip" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:07 PM