Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> SOT: 944 questions
Rob-O
post Jan 5 2019, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thought I’d ask here because I know that like me many of us own other P-cars besides our 914’s. I’ve posted this to Rennlist but it doesn’t seem like there are a ton of members in the 944 forum and it usually takes awhile to get replies, if you get them at all.

Bear with me as I get as much info as I can in this post.

‘86 944 Turbo, definitely a project. I’ve had it running and driving recently for quick shake downs.

Car wouldn’t turn over so replaced the starter. Got it started. Quick drive showed it wasn’t charging. Replaced the alternator. Again started and drove it but still not charging. Now starting is erratic. I can hear the starter spinning but it isn’t pushing out the pinion gear and engaging the flywheel ring gear. While installing the starter and alternator the wiring looked fine at those connections. However, much of the cabling from the battery the sheathing of the cables are cracked and flaking off. There is a ground connection on the bellhousing but I haven’t had a chance to get a good look at it (some heater hoses in the way that will need to be removed).

First question is if the starter is faulty. It’s a Bosch rebuilt but my thinking is that if it’s spinning it’s getting power. The pinion gear not engaging sounds like a problem internal to the starter.

Second question is the alternator. If I’ve had the car running with this starter and still not charging than I feel like I’m dealing with separate issues. The starter issue (since it worked when I first installed it) and the alternator, where the old one didn’t work and the new one didn’t work. Maybe wiring but I can’t really imagine much else in this relatively simple circuit.

Am I on the right path or could I be overlooking something?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:26 AM