Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reason for my motivation, I'm calling her done for now - Photo Shoot
BPic
post Jan 9 2019, 09:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

My father had a 1927 Model T and a 1952 MG TD when I was growing up. They sat in the barn and he would always say “I’m going to rebuild them” “We’ll start on them soon”. Well that never happened. They sat for many years and we only drove the MG once and it blew an oil line and was parked. He sold the cars when he moved to Florida. I decided then that I would never have a classic car project that I didn’t have the ways or means to complete it.

A few years ago, my father was diagnosed with dementia and it has gotten progressively worse. He still talks about the cars and wonders what they would be worth if he still had them. We look up prices and he just say’s “shoulda kept them”. This is a weekly occurrence. Dementia sucks, but because everything is new to him, he’s the happiest guy I know. Give him a cold beer and he'll tell you he hasn't had one in years and how good it tastes. It really sucks for my mom and the rest of us to see him like this and to have to watch him constantly.

Last April I started disassembly of my 72 914. I have since replaced the inner passenger long, inner wheelhouse, inner and outer firewalls, passenger engine mount and suspension mount, tunnel, floor boards, battery tray, seat hinges etc. At least once a week I have my mom and dad over for dinner and I always take him out to the garage to show him the car. He always seems amazed that I’m doing it and it’s always the “first” time he’s seen it. After a few months of showing him the car something happened and he started asking to see it before I showed him. He remembered my car. Then he would say “you gotta take me for a ride when your done”. Talk about motivation! I have since sped up the build working 10 hour days every weekend. Week nights are spent researching, planning and buying. I even took 10 days off from work and did nothing but work on this car during my time off. My wife is a saint.

My plan was to post photos of the build as others have here and was planning on taking 2 years to get to the point I am now. Now the only plan I have is to finish it before he forgets everything. So, I haven’t even taken many photos of before during and after. I just get in there to get it done. However, I’m not skimping on quality.

Many of you have assisted in this build, so far, whether you knew it or not. From the build threads to directly answered questions and purchases I have made from members; the assistance is greatly appreciated. I’ve called some of you about parts, engines and other items to purchase and may have sounded like I was interested and then either didn’t respond or just emailed you saying I found something else. I hope I haven’t offended or put anyone off in any way by doing this. I just have to make decisions quickly and I always have the unknown time frame in my mind. So, if I have left you hanging without a response, I apologize. And thank you to everyone here for the assistance thus far. I’m sure I will have lot’s of questions as I enter phase II.

Hopefully it will be in the body shop for paint in March and I’ll start all of the other part reconditioning for the assembly when she returns.

I Can’t wait to take my dad for that ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 9 2019, 11:19 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(BPic @ Jan 9 2019, 07:36 AM) *

My father had a 1927 Model T and a 1952 MG TD when I was growing up. They sat in the barn and he would always say “I’m going to rebuild them” “We’ll start on them soon”. Well that never happened. They sat for many years and we only drove the MG once and it blew an oil line and was parked. He sold the cars when he moved to Florida. I decided then that I would never have a classic car project that I didn’t have the ways or means to complete it.

A few years ago, my father was diagnosed with dementia and it has gotten progressively worse. He still talks about the cars and wonders what they would be worth if he still had them. We look up prices and he just say’s “shoulda kept them”. This is a weekly occurrence. Dementia sucks, but because everything is new to him, he’s the happiest guy I know. Give him a cold beer and he'll tell you he hasn't had one in years and how good it tastes. It really sucks for my mom and the rest of us to see him like this and to have to watch him constantly.

Last April I started disassembly of my 72 914. I have since replaced the inner passenger long, inner wheelhouse, inner and outer firewalls, passenger engine mount and suspension mount, tunnel, floor boards, battery tray, seat hinges etc. At least once a week I have my mom and dad over for dinner and I always take him out to the garage to show him the car. He always seems amazed that I’m doing it and it’s always the “first” time he’s seen it. After a few months of showing him the car something happened and he started asking to see it before I showed him. He remembered my car. Then he would say “you gotta take me for a ride when your done”. Talk about motivation! I have since sped up the build working 10 hour days every weekend. Week nights are spent researching, planning and buying. I even took 10 days off from work and did nothing but work on this car during my time off. My wife is a saint.

My plan was to post photos of the build as others have here and was planning on taking 2 years to get to the point I am now. Now the only plan I have is to finish it before he forgets everything. So, I haven’t even taken many photos of before during and after. I just get in there to get it done. However, I’m not skimping on quality.

Many of you have assisted in this build, so far, whether you knew it or not. From the build threads to directly answered questions and purchases I have made from members; the assistance is greatly appreciated. I’ve called some of you about parts, engines and other items to purchase and may have sounded like I was interested and then either didn’t respond or just emailed you saying I found something else. I hope I haven’t offended or put anyone off in any way by doing this. I just have to make decisions quickly and I always have the unknown time frame in my mind. So, if I have left you hanging without a response, I apologize. And thank you to everyone here for the assistance thus far. I’m sure I will have lot’s of questions as I enter phase II.

Hopefully it will be in the body shop for paint in March and I’ll start all of the other part reconditioning for the assembly when she returns.

I Can’t wait to take my dad for that ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Please share pictures.. Would love to see it..
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Jan 9 2019, 11:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,610

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 9 2019, 11:33 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Go for it!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 9 2019, 11:40 AM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Best of luck with the car and with your dad! Dementia is challenging at the best of times... I hope you both get a lot of joy out of the drive once you finish it up!

--DD
+Quote Post
BPic
post Jan 9 2019, 01:14 PM
Post #6

Okay. I'll post some photos soon. I have before and after. Not many during or showing the actual work.
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jan 9 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

Good luck with the build - we can't wait to see a picture of you and your dad taking a ride!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 9 2019, 05:38 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2019, 09:19 AM) *
Please share pictures.. Would love to see it..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 9 2019, 05:56 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I cannot think of a higher purpose for such a project. Very cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

If I can give one word of advice. Go ahead and snap as many pics as you can of at least the after work to document the quality of your build. Snapping pics with a cell phone takes almost no time away from the project, posting them in a build thread does, so skip the posting to focus on giving your dad that ride. But you will be glad you have the pics later. My neighbor did a complete resto on a '64 Mustang and now has an interested buyer. He wants to see pics of all the problem spots deep in the bowels of the car. Unfortunately, she didn't take pics as the car went together so it is a bit of an issue trying to document how well the problem areas were addressed.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jan 9 2019, 07:33 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm hoping you can make that happen BPic !! Best of luck buddy.
+Quote Post
shane
post Jan 9 2019, 09:48 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,518
Region Association: None

Good luck and Godspeed, I’m sure your dad will be very excited to take that ride with you.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jan 9 2019, 11:04 PM
Post #12

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Nice, keep your eye on the prize and get her done! As much as I want to see pics and read about the progress, I’d rather hear (several years from now) the touching story of making the best with the time you have!
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Jan 10 2019, 12:17 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,794

Good luck with the build and can’t wait to hear the story of your dads first ride.
+Quote Post
BPic
post Jan 10 2019, 07:04 AM
Post #14

Alright, I'll start at the beginning. The car arrived in March 2018. I drove it 100 feet from the trailer to the garage and proceeded to take it apart.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Started the inspection process. I wasn't surprised by the rust I could see but was amazed at what was beneath the rust. More rust. The PO added metal everywhere to keep it together.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This one scared me. Thanks to a few members talking me off a ledge and finding an engine mount. I dug in. Keep in mind I am, well was an amateur welder. I would now say I'm a novice. Recommendation to anyone starting the way I did... Build your own rotisserie. It will give you the practice needed for the welding that will be needed. But also practice in thinner metal. I learned the hard way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

Since the car had serious structural issues, I decided to tackle that first and get it strong for the rest of the time on the rotisserie. I built my own door braces and was neurotic about checking the measurement everyday sometimes 5 or 6 times a day. I would take off a part of the floor and measure, remove any metal- measure, add metal- measure. I would wake up in the middle of the night thinking of 25 1/8 inches and 52 5/8 inches.

Attached Image

I bought the inner long and upper from RD and decided not to replace the entire length of the upper. I didn't want to disrupt the integrity of the connection from the upper to the rear shock tower. So made a sleeve for the area that would be but welded.

Attached Image

It just didn't look sturdy enough to me so I took the extra piece that I cut off of the RD part and after a little modification I made it into a sleeve. The nice thing about this is that it was a perfect fit because the grooves in the RD part matched the grooves on the factory part. It almost clicked into place and the grooved part was then rosette wleded. Again- ameture welder so the word gap is a reminder to leave a gap for the weld penetration. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here is the inner long screwed into place while making adjustments with the upper.

Attached Image

Once this was all welded in and measurements taken like 300 times. I t was rolled out for a much needed bath. My neighbors think I'm crazy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

I'll add more soon. Now off to the place that allows me to pay for this stuff.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 10 2019, 07:16 AM
Post #15

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Very nice. That is the way to tackle these cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jan 10 2019, 07:48 AM
Post #16

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

My hats off to you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Best of luck with your build, looks like you are off to a good start. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 10 2019, 07:56 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Nice work! Boy, I could have saved a lot of time on my project had I known I could just rivet metal straps across large voids in my floor pan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 10 2019, 08:11 AM
Post #18

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 10 2019, 08:56 AM) *

Nice work! Boy, I could have saved a lot of time on my project had I known I could just rivet metal straps across large voids in my floor pan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Rivets hold planes together, why not cars? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
BPic
post Jan 10 2019, 10:11 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 10 2019, 08:56 AM) *

Exactly!! The PO was very creative with repairs. Heres one I really like and might be the reason there were so many screwed up repairs. He must have run out of spring clips. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I tend to have a cold one AFTER I finish work on the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jan 10 2019, 11:44 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Wow, you are a brave man!!!!

Love the backstory, thanks for sharing it with our community.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:50 AM