Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reason for my motivation, I'm calling her done for now - Photo Shoot
Andyrew
post Mar 9 2019, 02:37 AM
Post #41

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Amazing work so far!

Damn good door gaps from what your showing us. Almost every car has some variance and yes they can be adjusted a hair pretty much all directions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Mar 9 2019, 11:01 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

Great motivation, great work, soon to be a great car! That first ride will be priceless.
+Quote Post
jagalyn
post Mar 9 2019, 11:43 AM
Post #43

True Patina

Member No.: 5,503

Love the story as much as the work... your car will have an amazing value... way beyond the dollars. Nice job. Blessings to you and your Dad.
+Quote Post
BPic
post Mar 10 2019, 05:50 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

Thanks for the kind words everyone. My Dad was here for dinner last night and after 5 minutes he yelled my name, there was 20 people here, and said " I want to se the car!"

I'll post some new photos later. Did seam sealer and mounted the tub on a cart to be transported to my body guy.

Just saying I have "a body guy" sound weird. Before this project I would have made a bad joke about it.
+Quote Post
BPic
post Mar 26 2019, 05:27 AM
Post #45

She's off to paint. I was more nervous trailering the tub than I was cutting into the longs. Can't wait to see her in full color! What color will she be.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dion
post Mar 26 2019, 05:40 AM
Post #46

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Exciting stuff, excellent progress, you’ve got this covered man! That was a significant amount of work you tackled. Pro! Can’t wait... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Mar 26 2019, 05:42 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You are doing some amazing work here. Thanks for sharing the story and the progress.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
BPic
post Mar 26 2019, 05:58 AM
Post #48

Prior to leaving for paint I planned the air conditioning. I hated the dealer add on where they cut a huge hole in the floor and love the GT style front for an oil cooler. So I thought I would combine the two. I had a louvered panel made at a local metal shop and welded that in the floor after careful measurements to make sure I had the correct amount of louvers for the condenser exhaust and room for an inflatable tire. Thanks MB911 for the precut mount it looks great and is an easy install.
I added reinforcement between the suspension mounts and then boxed it in.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I'll run 2 high cfm fan which my AC guy says will be more than sufficient even in traffic.
Attached Image

I don't have pics of the box but to get the contour of the front of the car I cut 1/2 inch strips of metal and bent them perfectly to fit the front of the car then used them to trace the contour on a panel. The strips were then welded to the cut panel. There will also be rubber between the box and the car.
Attached Image

Tabs welded in to secure the bottom of the condenser. These will also have rubber grommets.
Attached Image

Bent and welded the lid and will be adding 4 spring clasps to secure the top.
Attached Image

As I get more into the interior I'll post the rest of the AC build.

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 26 2019, 06:47 AM
Post #49

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

BPic - I like what you are doing for the AC. Looking forward to seeing some color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 26 2019, 07:59 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

double post

+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 26 2019, 08:02 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE(BPic @ Jan 10 2019, 07:04 AM) *

Alright, I'll start at the beginning. The car arrived in March 2018. I drove it 100 feet from the trailer to the garage and proceeded to take it apart.

I really like way all the color combos show up in this picture. I suppose it is a "bad" picture, but something about it....

Looks like the Creamsicle color. Plus no vinyl on the sails, 4 lug Fuchs. Black roof, chrome bumpers. The Long covers look gray, I guess they are not, but all the combos on the grainy picture are awesome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Great work BTW.

EDIT.... for some reason the picture won't show up. I see the attachment ID here (on the edit screen) but not in the post... oh well.
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Mar 26 2019, 08:04 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 18,984

Great looking work. Is the chain lock in the driveway just for fun?
+Quote Post
BPic
post Mar 26 2019, 08:11 AM
Post #53

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Mar 26 2019, 10:04 AM) *

Great looking work. Is the chain lock in the driveway just for fun?

Ha! Didn't know what you referring to at first then I looked at the photos... The driveway is on an incline and the chain is bolted to the rotisserie and them anchored bolted to the concrete floor in the garage so she doesn't run away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
BPic
post Mar 26 2019, 08:15 AM
Post #54

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Mar 26 2019, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(BPic @ Jan 10 2019, 07:04 AM) *

Alright, I'll start at the beginning. The car arrived in March 2018. I drove it 100 feet from the trailer to the garage and proceeded to take it apart.

I really like way all the color combos show up in this picture. I suppose it is a "bad" picture, but something about it....

Looks like the Creamsicle color. Plus no vinyl on the sails, 4 lug Fuchs. Black roof, chrome bumpers. The Long covers look gray, I guess they are not, but all the combos on the grainy picture are awesome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Great work BTW.

EDIT.... for some reason the picture won't show up. I see the attachment ID here (on the edit screen) but not in the post... oh well.

I agree the pics of it were way off. Believe it or not it was Silver even the rocker panels. Sails will go back on. Those first photos were horrible.
+Quote Post
BPic
post Mar 27 2019, 05:37 AM
Post #55

With the tub at the body shop I started work on the doors. I searched everywhere for an early "no-rust" door and I really don't think they exist. So I bought a late no-rust door and used it as a donor and I was amazed at the weight difference between the 2. The late door has to be 15-20 pounds heavier. Luckily the area I needed to replace is identical on both doors as long as I left all of the original holes on the original door.

The rust was extensive in that the metal was completely gone for almost the entire length of the bottom of the door.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Because of the contour it's like fitting a 3d puzzle piece into place. Cut, grind, fit, measure, cut, grind, fit, grind , fit, grind, fit....Repeat.

Attached Image

I then zapped it into place and took my own sweet time welding it in. Didn't want any metal to move so I would hit it with a few welds and walk away to do something else. If I could touch it and it was cool I'd hit it again and walk away. I have a mental issue when it comes to walking away from an incomplete job and have been known to push the limits on heat while welding only to have a bigger problem then when I started, so this was a major OCD win. Overall I'm happy with the results. It stayed nice and straight and now I just have to break out the grinder and the Dremel for the seal channels and deliver to the body shop.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I received a call from the painter and over the last 2 days he was able to get 90% of the metal straightened and all of the little dings etc. removed. He thinks he'll shoot high build primer this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 27 2019, 06:24 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Looks good. I have tried to follow the same method and theory: Remove all the rust with the smallest cuts.

Word is the late doors are safer. IIRC there is also a bar or pipe that was attached across the length of the late door.
+Quote Post
BPic
post Mar 27 2019, 02:20 PM
Post #57

Received these photos from the painter this morning. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Man what a difference after seeing naked for so long!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 27 2019, 02:34 PM
Post #58

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Holy smokes you are moving fast, and great work too! My hat is off to you on that door bottom repair. I agonized over how I was going to tackle that and luckily didn't have to thanks to 914Werke and @Kelty360 . Your car is looking fantastic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
BPic
post Mar 28 2019, 01:40 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 27 2019, 04:34 PM) *

Holy smokes you are moving fast, and great work too! My hat is off to you on that door bottom repair. I agonized over how I was going to tackle that and luckily didn't have to thanks to 914Werke and @Kelty360 . Your car is looking fantastic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Thanks Brent! Coming from Mr. OCD - I consider that a huge compliment.
+Quote Post
BPic
post Mar 28 2019, 06:45 PM
Post #60

I received some new photos from the body shop. It's starting to look like something now!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

And nope it's not going to be black. This is all primer.

He uses a shiny high build primer so he can see all of the flaws. I've never heard of this. All the primer I've ever seen is flat.

I can't wait to see it in color! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:16 AM