Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
> WTB 914 engine upgrade, WTB 914 with subie or 3.0 Porsche engine w
Jon199
post Jan 9 2019, 06:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,787
Region Association: North East States

I am looking for a good 914 with a subie, 3.0 Porsche or other engine swap. Looking for solid daily driver. I am located in northeast.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
Jon199
post Jan 10 2019, 07:42 AM
Post #2

I am considering buying a 914 with a 2.0 WRX engine and 914 transmission. The original wiring harness has been replaced, but never finished. The owner says it would need a new harness. I am not a mechanic, so I am looking for some information to help me understand what my mechanic is up against, as well as my wallet. My mechanic has no Porsche experience, but he is highly skilled. The car looks good, but has been painted and looks to have new carpet on the floor, so from the pictures, I cannot see the potential rust spots. I would look the car over before purchasing, but any information/advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Jon
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Jan 10 2019, 08:56 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,240
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

FYI: If you would post this question over on 914 World Garage, you would probably get faster replies! Happy New Year
+Quote Post
theer
post Jan 10 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,014

Hey Jon,

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Are you looking at the metallic green 914 in CT? That was for sale a while ago in NY (Albany area) for quite a bit less $$.

As to your question: your mechanic will need be more knowledgeable about Subarus than Porsches in my opinion. The 914 is a very uncomplicated car so that part of it should be easy, or at least easier.

The difficulty in getting a non-running project going will be trying to figure out has and has not been done. In this case, it will be the electronics around the WRX motor, controller, etc.

I'm sure you can get a new harness - plenty of these conversions have been done - and maybe hooking it all up will be all that's necessary... but maybe not.

Also, lot's of help here at 914 World if you decide to take the plunge.

Good luck!

Tom
(also in the Northeast)

+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jan 10 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

If you need a harness to get it running check out https://www.iwireservices.com/
They are the best there is when it comes to Subaru swap harnesses.
+Quote Post
Jon199
post Jan 10 2019, 05:26 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(theer @ Jan 10 2019, 10:21 AM) *

Hey Jon,

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Are you looking at the metallic green 914 in CT? That was for sale a while ago in NY (Albany area) for quite a bit less $$.

As to your question: your mechanic will need be more knowledgeable about Subarus than Porsches in my opinion. The 914 is a very uncomplicated car so that part of it should be easy, or at least easier.

The difficulty in getting a non-running project going will be trying to figure out has and has not been done. In this case, it will be the electronics around the WRX motor, controller, etc.

I'm sure you can get a new harness - plenty of these conversions have been done - and maybe hooking it all up will be all that's necessary... but maybe not.

Also, lot's of help here at 914 World if you decide to take the plunge.

Good luck!

Tom
(also in the Northeast)

Thanks for the reference chi-town!

Tom, I am looking at the green 914 in ct. just nervous of what could be covered up with new upholstery. Any chance you can remember what it was listed for in NY? That might come in handy. Thanks for the feedback Tom. I am pretty much obsessed with the idea of a 914 with real power.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:02 PM