Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 75 2.0 D-Jet wiring harness, Just fried blue/black wire in the harness
dennisphelan
post Jan 10 2019, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,713
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hooked up the wire harness that runs from the relay board to the to various connections for the D-ironic fuel injection per Jeff Bowlsby wiring diagram, I installed a new Optima battery and turned on the ignition. Smoke started raising out of the engine compartment. shut it down and see that I melted the Black/Purple wire from the negative 1 terminal on the coil all the way up to the connector on the relay board. it appears to have taken several other wires with it. I think that this wiring harness is toast. I have two problems: (1) need to replace or fix the wiring harness and (2) what went wrong? Any ideas or suggestions on what to do next?

Just checked and found I had forgotten to connect the transmission ground strap. Could that have caused this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
mgphoto
post Jan 10 2019, 08:41 PM
Post #2

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

If connected wrong direct connection to ground and without the tranny ground strap turning on the key all the current heads through that path.
Check to see if the contacts are reversed on the ignition coil.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jan 10 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

You hooked up the 12 pin connector 1 pin off.

BTDT.

You can cut apart the harness and see how bad it is, you may be able to fix it.

OR.

Buy a new harness from Jeff (that's what I did)

And remember to check that plug 3 times after connecting it to be sure its right.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jan 10 2019, 08:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Also check the green wire going to the dizzy. it may have burnt too....
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 10 2019, 10:07 PM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Hi Dennis, no worries, it can all be repaired good as new. The casing needs to be removed/replaced to replace any damaged circuits.

As mentioned, either the 12-pin plug was mis-indexed on the relay board or possibly the two wires to the coil were swapped. A very common issue.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dennisphelan
post Jan 11 2019, 11:47 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,713
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 10 2019, 10:07 PM) *

Hi Dennis, no worries, it can all be repaired good as new. The casing needs to be removed/replaced to replace any damaged circuits.

As mentioned, either the 12-pin plug was mis-indexed on the relay board or possibly the two wires to the coil were swapped. A very common issue.

Thanks Jeff. I cut off the casing from the wiring harness last night and the black/purple wire had melted all the way from the board plug to the coil connection. It had heated other wires insulation to the point where the wires were fused. I will be ordering a new one from you today.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 11 2019, 11:51 AM
Post #7

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(dennisphelan @ Jan 11 2019, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 10 2019, 10:07 PM) *

Thanks Jeff. I cut off the casing from the wiring harness last night and the black/purple wire had melted all the way from the board plug to the coil connection. It had heated other wires insulation to the point where the wires were fused. I will be ordering a new one from you today.

I can probably repair the one you have by replacing anything damaged, keeping anything that was not damaged. Saves $. Send it to me and I will have a look
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:58 AM