Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rust cover up?, Car looks good, but how can I tell if rust is just covered
Jon199
post Jan 12 2019, 07:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,787
Region Association: North East States

I am considering purchasing this project 914. I am concerned that rust may have been covered up by a rhino lining or similar spray application at the hell hole. Does anyone have any knowledge of the car or any advice as to what exactly what I should be looking for when I go inspect the car in person?
Thanks,
JonAttached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=682
144]Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jan 12 2019, 07:40 AM
Post #2

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

I can tell from the pictures that there was a very poor and improper repair done to the floor. It looks like some exposed screw heads with a bunch of goo covering it up.
+Quote Post
Jon199
post Jan 12 2019, 07:58 AM
Post #3

That’s what I was afraid of.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 12 2019, 08:14 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) The carnage occurring to 914's is atrocious.

I won't stir things up with the whole debate of why folks choose to convert 914's to water cooled engines. OK maybe I already did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

If you want a major project - jump in a please rescue this car.

If you want a driver - run away fast.

In addition to previous post on the floor pan:

Battery tray repair is substandard

Holes cut into Frunk and the copper tubing to accommodate the water cooling speak for themselves.

Trunk brackets are held on by self tapping screws

I can guarantee you that the previous owner was "learning" on this car. No shame, we all learn somewhere but the question is whether you want to inherit someone's mistakes.

There is rust under the paint as you already know. What you can see is only 20% of what is there.

As someone currently working on a project with Rhino liner or other bed liner crap spayed on, it will hide a multitude of sins that you won't see until you dig under it. Be prepared mentally!

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 12 2019, 08:21 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Oh, the two best things to bring with you on a potential buy:

1) a very small screwdriver or Needle pick. Ask owner if it's OK to poke before doing so. A "Hell No" is a sure sign they know there is massive rust already and don't want you to find more than can already be seen. If they agree with a "Yes" don't poke around in cosmetic surfaces and don't do so unless you have serious intentions about actually buying the car regardless of what you find.

2) For the "No" cases and/or where you're not sure that you would buy the car - bring magnets. Simple refrigerator magnets only stick to the best metal. a magnetic stud finder that has the magnet on a pivot is great tool for telling where plastic body filler starts and stops.
+Quote Post
Jon199
post Jan 12 2019, 08:58 AM
Post #6

Superhawk,
Thank you for the advice and the education! Sadly, I think this project may not be for me. I am in love with the idea of a 914 with some real power ( 250 hp range). But, I don’t need to bring home a box of problems. My wife is already frustrated with the projects I currently have
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jan 12 2019, 09:08 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Welcome Jon!

As you have seen already it is a great idea to post as many pictures as possible of any car you are interested in here prior to purchasing.

Let us know what you are looking for, how you want to use the car etc and you'll get great coaching.

Porsche made more than one of these, so take your time and look.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 12 2019, 09:29 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jon199 @ Jan 12 2019, 09:58 AM) *

Superhawk,
Thank you for the advice and the education! Sadly, I think this project may not be for me. I am in love with the idea of a 914 with some real power ( 250 hp range). But, I don’t need to bring home a box of problems. My wife is already frustrated with the projects I currently have

If you have never had a 914 before allow me to lobby you:
1) a stock 914 with a 2.0L and 80-100HP is a great car. Drive one stock for a while and then decide if you need more power. You can always put a flat six in these cars later with ease and run HP up to crazy numbers if your wallet permits.

2) if you want raw power you're looking in the wrong places. 914's (or early 911's) were never meant to be straight line power cars. They are AWESOME steering and handling cars. The drivetrain is balanced to the needs of the car and is biased toward nimble, agile handling. If you just want to go fast in a straight line - go buy a Drag car. Likewise, if you want easy power just save your $$. You can go buy lots of 400 HP cars off the showroom floor WITH A Warranty. Amazing times we live in.

3) Lot's of people will tell you that you need more power or crazy stuff like Boxter's are secretary cars, or Porsche 914's are just VW's. Ignore them. They have no idea how to drive in anything other than a straight line. Most people get spooked pulling 0.5 G's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) A 914 will easily surpass that on All Season tires. Put summer tires on it - Watch out 0.9G here I come.

4) I've owned VW's with 40 HP and I've owned cars with 400 HP. Even in the 100 HP cars, when the traffic light turns green I'm 100 yards ahead of traffic. Granted we aren't racing but I'll tell you that most people aren't using the HP they have. And yes that extends to the majority of the modern sports car crowd too.

Don't be afraid to start with a good solid 1.7L car. Learn to work on it, learn to drive, and upgrade as your talent and $$$ permit.

914's are awesome cars and I say that as someone that has access to a much wider slice of the automotive pie than any one man should be allowed. I've driven some of the best the world has to offer and I still came back to 914's after nearly 20 years away from them.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Jan 12 2019, 09:55 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 17,338

Those pictures show so many substandard repairs! I'm thinking I see a weird plate and cutaway on the passenger suspension console?

My first 914 actually had bondo packed into the longs! I checked and there is no structural bondo for sale. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That became a parts car.

I agree about low horsepower driving. I have a blast with my 75 HP 1.7. (If it still makes anywhere near that after 250,000 miles)

Repairing somebody else's mistakes will cost far more than starting fresh.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jan 12 2019, 10:01 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,986

I disagree with some of the assessments above. those "screw heads" may be rosette welds. and as long as the battery tray is well done, it's not substandard. you never know until you can look at the car in person.

I wouldn't write this car off yet. definitely do your diligence and if you want a project with potential need for rust repair, go for it.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 12 2019, 10:02 AM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378

Why does everything on the bottom or the car seem so low? The sweated copper piping is a nice touch.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 12 2019, 10:16 AM
Post #12

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

This car looks like someone else's problems to me. Unless you are up for a ton of remedial work fixing all the poor repairs, and marginal work; walk away.

The effective ground clearance looks to have been limited to about 3", if that.

IMHO this is an example of what not to do to a 914
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 12 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with everything said above. I don't think that car is a good intro to 914 ownership. Too many mods and repairs of unknown quality. I'm also a huge fan of the stock 4 cylinder models. I've owned both 1.7L and 2.0L and can vouch that they are all a blast to drive, but the 2.0 hits a real sweet spot for pep, driveability, and economy. It just a gem of engineering IMO. Regardless of whether stock is your cup of tea, spending some time in one will give a good baseline for judging any modified car you might be interested in.

But back to the original question about how to check. Another tool is to ask for any build pics the owner may have. I'm a big fan documenting repairs as they are made and if they are available, can tell you a lot about quality of the repairs.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jan 12 2019, 10:39 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

That exhaust is very low, careful on speed bumps!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 12 2019, 11:19 AM
Post #15

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Run Forest, run. I have two H20 conversions and one air sucker. Guess which ones get driven? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) That so-called motor mount scares the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) out of me. Wonder how the rears look? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) And the 901 transmission is a dinosaur! I agree with the floor pan assessment. If those are weld rosettes I'm impressed with the Welders ability to create the Phillips "X" slot within the weld. I see a shiny black paint spot just to the right of those screws. That rust spot looks like the rear jack point flange separated which I'd expect if the battery acid was allowed to run amuck.. If any part of the exhaust, engine, etc. is closer than 5.5" to the ground, watch out. The radiator plenum looks to have large gaps in it. Weld joints don't appear to be primed and painted so expect accelerated oxidation at those area's. "Mud Dauber" welds in structural areas are frightening as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 12 2019, 11:25 AM
Post #16

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378

What's the asking price on this car?
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Jan 12 2019, 11:29 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 12 2019, 08:02 AM) *

Why does everything on the bottom or the car seem so low? The sweated copper piping is a nice touch.

I have a Porscharu with a Renegade engine cradle, this one, whatever it is seems to hang the motor way too low. The copper pipe isn't a good idea either, way too easy to pinch it and restrict coolant flow without even knowing it. I think heavy duty Gates hoses are a much better bet, Porsche even made two channels on the underside along the center tunnel to recess the hoses into. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 12 2019, 11:33 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

HORRIBLE
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 12 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #19

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Motor hangs too low. Motor mounts look wonky. Copper piping is not good for use under the length of the car.

Everything I see needs to be redone. Unless the car is super cheap and the body looks good, I would walk away.

Could be lipstick on a pig... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 12 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

craigslist maine
$10,500
https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/waterford-p...6780918698.html
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:35 PM