Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time To Do The Engine, Going with a SCAT 2366cc
7TPorsh
post Jan 16 2019, 11:15 AM
Post #21

7T Porsh

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 15 2019, 08:40 PM) *

Put new pistons 96's and rebuild the heads. 2k.
1911. Keep everything else the way it is.

Get a six....986 or 987 and drive it like you stole it..

Best of both worlds.

So 96mm cylinders would equate to 1911? I assume rebuilding the heads dosen't add displacement. WHat is the jump to a 2056? bigger cylinders?

Am I buying new cylinders and pistons vs. boring out what I have? Are cam and crank the same?

I have carbs and intakes. Unless FI is under $500 I'll stay with the carbs. Would sell the carbs to fund the FI. Not familiar with FI too much.

I also have a performance 4 to 1 header from Marty and a Spintech racing muffler so exhaust and intake spoken for.

I have an '84 944 for civilized fun.

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Jan 16 2019, 11:18 AM
Post #22

7T Porsh

Exhaust view:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 16 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #23

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

4-5k? Double your budget. It's the 'while you're in there' factor that kills you. While you're in there, don't forget the new clutch package. Don't presume the flywheel is in spec. Your carbs that function with the 1.7 prob won't deliver the goods with a 2056.
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jan 16 2019, 11:45 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 15,057

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 15 2019, 02:58 PM) *

Well, car is running like crap and compression is 98-110. Buddy mechanic says there isn't enough there to work with. So need to explore options. Was looking for a 6 awhile ago but that's just too expensive.

I have a 1971 1.7 block (car is 1970), may have bigger cylinders in it but don't know. What are the options if on a slightly restricted budget? I want big and more power but I know there's a tipping point on that.

I see new engines advertised here and there. SCAT 2056.
Contemplating, do I buy a new engine like this? (any others out there?) or rebuild what I have using a SCAT engine kit or piecing it together using various kits.

How big can I easily (budget) go? Currently don't know what I have so assumming a new cam, new crank, etc.

I plan on using the existing dual Weber 40IDFs and the MSDS headers/muffler.

Here's a pic so there's something visual here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Everyone replied and wants you to spend more of your money than the $3500 2056 SCAT long block that you identified right up front. That is a smart and economic choice which you can always unload for at least a grand with some miles on it. Buy the 2056 and swap it out in a weekend and save your money. Drive the H*** out of it and decide if it isn't enough. You can then play with rebuilding your 1.7 and decide if you want to rebuild it to 2256 or larger by increasing both piston size and stroke. Since it isn't numbers matching and will simply be a tired long block, you can turn it in and buy the completed big bore motor, but it may need bigger carbs, etc. That might cost $5k to $10K from several builders including Fat Perf as mentioned. A real six is quite spendy for even for just a 2.4 or 2.7 and will cost at least $10K to $15K for the engine, rebuild, and the mounts, oil tank, exhaust, etc. Likely even more $$$....
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 16 2019, 12:34 PM
Post #25

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 16 2019, 12:15 PM) *

So 96mm cylinders would equate to 1911? I assume rebuilding the heads dosen't add displacement. WHat is the jump to a 2056? bigger cylinders?

Am I buying new cylinders and pistons vs. boring out what I have? Are cam and crank the same?

I have carbs and intakes. Unless FI is under $500 I'll stay with the carbs. Would sell the carbs to fund the FI. Not familiar with FI too much.

96mm P&C plus the 1.7L crank get you to 1911. If you get a 2.0 Crank (71 mm), you get the 2056. So no, the crank is not the same vs. 1.7. No machining required to drop 96 mm cylinders in (although it might be desirable if the case is out of alignment -- but no boring required).

I mentioned $500 as the possible FI cost - what I should have said is you may be able to get a serviceable D-Jet setup for that. As Mark Henry said, anything modern is going to be a good bit more.

Lots of good ideas from people. It's up to you based on your budget, desire for power, desire to learn, and desire to get back on the road quickly. I agree with those that say the quickest, cheapest, and easiest route is to buy something that someone already built (either from a place like FAT or from someone who is now looking to go in a different direction from something they previously built/bought). The only real downside to that approach is you don't learn as much and you didn't build it yourself exactly the way you wanted. To some people that matters - others, not so much.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jan 16 2019, 02:40 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 16 2019, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 16 2019, 12:15 PM) *

96mm P&C plus the 1.7L crank get you to 1911. If you get a 2.0 Crank (71 mm), you get the 2056. So no, the crank is not the same vs. 1.7. No machining required to drop 96 mm cylinders in (although it might be desirable if the case is out of alignment -- but no boring required).

I mentioned $500 as the possible FI cost - what I should have said is you may be able to get a serviceable D-Jet setup for that. As Mark Henry said, anything modern is going to be a good bit more.

Lots of good ideas from people. It's up to you based on your budget, desire for power, desire to learn, and desire to get back on the road quickly. I agree with those that say the quickest, cheapest, and easiest route is to buy something that someone already built (either from a place like FAT or from someone who is now looking to go in a different direction from something they previously built/bought). The only real downside to that approach is you don't learn as much and you didn't build it yourself exactly the way you wanted. To some people that matters - others, not so much.

Oh...I thought you have a 1.7 now. Now I re-read your post you say you don't know.

Tough to say with the 944 that you have....I've got two P cars as well. Busy enough with just upkeep of both to make another project for "more power".

If it were I....I'd just rebuild what you have...whatever that is and keep driving it.
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Jan 16 2019, 02:57 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 14,487

I started with a '70 1.7 and built a short stroke 1911 motor with 96mm pistons/jugs, cam and Weber 44s. I love it, its fast revving little motor and so far has been tough too. I've flogged that poor thing at Streets in the summer and that thing just kept going.

If you keep the 1.7 heads you will need some machining, if you are in SoCal there are shops that build these motors really well for Baja, so they know reliability and power.

I'd say, with custom ordering a cam, the machining, and getting Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons plus the ancillary stuff it was around $2300... I had the carbs before as they came with the car when I got it...
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 17 2019, 10:33 AM
Post #28

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

From your 1.7:
96mm P&C will get you to 1911.
96mm P&C and 2.0 Crank will get you to a 2056.
96mm P&C, stroker crank will get you to a 2270 (but you will need to replace about everything and probably spend a good bit more then your budget doing it).

My 2056 was built on a 1.7 case.

You will spend most of your budget on heads. And that's okay. I don't know that you can get your heads reworked for 2K any more (or even if you should), but you can buy new ones for about 4K.

My 2056 dynoed at close to 150HP (127 at the wheels). Its FUN. But also has more goodies on it. Just doing P&C and heads will get you to about 115, which will also be fun and quicker then your current 1.7 by a ton.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 17 2019, 11:37 AM
Post #29

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 17 2019, 11:33 AM) *

You will spend most of your budget on heads. And that's okay. I don't know that you can get your heads reworked for 2K any more (or even if you should), but you can buy new ones for about 4K.

I purchased the AAP heads from HAM (Len Hoffman). All in with Len doing his magic, and ceramic coating the combustion chambers, well under $2k. Len's done a few sets of these. We don't have the data yet on how well these AAP heads will hold up over time, but...the price is attractive, and Len's initial impressions of them were not bad.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 17 2019, 11:42 AM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 17 2019, 09:33 AM) *

Just for a point of reference on this. I sent my 2.0 heads to Dave Bonbright last Spring for a basic rework. I supplied new springs and guides and he did a basic refresh with new SS valves for $800. That included extracting a couple broken exhaust studs which he said added up.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Jan 18 2019, 12:04 PM
Post #31

7T Porsh

Thanks Guys, this is really great info.

So it looks like I will be deciding between a 1911 and a 2056. To verify, it sounds like at a base, both will require 96mm cans. And if I go to 2056 will I only need a 71mm crank and related connecting rods? So I'm getting 145cc just by changing crank and rods?

I see 96mm PCs from cast iron to alluminum, etc. Will I feel a difference with aluminum all other things remaining equal? I'd like to keep the car more on the bullet-proof side vs. touchy.

Who has the best deal around?

in either case, will I need to open up the heads to 96mm? Is it called bore?

Someone mentioned enlarging valves. Would this be only in the 2056 scenario or could do to a 1911. I anticipate that kind of headwork would be expensive. I am seeing a trend for basic headwork at around $700-800.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 18 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #32

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

What is your budget. $5k, 7.5k, 10k?
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jan 18 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 18,763

So I feel there are two routes I would go in your shoes. Source the parts to make a 2056. If you shop right you can stay within budget ($4-5k)

As mentioned heads could be the greatest money item as they should be. Don't scimp here and the motor should last. Len's ran me ~$1450.

Option 2 which is way easier in my mind is have an already built 2056 from McMark. I think his packages fall within the 4-5 range for a 2056. These are Raby builds allowed to be be built by McMark. You can go FI or Carbs, your choice. I think his builds were Dynoing around 125hp. Drop it in and go.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 18 2019, 02:13 PM
Post #34

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

From the LOGO:

"I got a plug and play big/4 engine (seller says it was a 12k build) from a member here for 5k
And it worked out great .

Much happier then a rebuild . And 3x as fast/powerful .

Had the 1.7 rebuilt while outta the car and considering going back to stock . Id let the big /4 go for 5500$(complete package ,plug and play)

and if you want to come see it run and ride in the car before buying , that would not be a problem.
Since im in monrovia let me know . Got the engine and had my fun with it , i think its got about 5k miles on it ."

This may be the best shot. Plug and play and you can sell your running Eng. to someone. and you can test it out.

Waiting for an engine can be a bitch.

Bob B
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Jan 18 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 3,061

with the 2056 you not only get the added CCs but the longer stroke gives you a larger increase in torque. I love my 2056 . look for a 2.0 crank and rods.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 18 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #36

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 18 2019, 10:04 AM) *
So it looks like I will be deciding between a 1911 and a 2056. To verify, it sounds like at a base, both will require 96mm cans. And if I go to 2056 will I only need a 71mm crank and related connecting rods? So I'm getting 145cc just by changing crank and rods?

Pistons, too! The wrist pin is at a different height in the 2.0 pistons than in the 1.7 or 1.8 ones. Has to do with the way they offset-ground the crank to get the extra 5mm of stroke.

There are slip-in 96mm cylinders that fit 1.7 heads. They are super thin, and are generally best avoided. The better idea is, if possible, to have the 1.7 heads milled to fit the 96es that are made for the 1.8 and 2.0 heads. The 1.7 heads have a 100mm "register" where the cylinders fit, which means less than 2mm wall thickness for a 96mm cylinder; the 1.8 and 2.0 heads have 105mm registers so there is a lot more space for the cylinder walls.

--DD
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jan 18 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 10,318

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 18 2019, 12:13 PM) *

From the LOGO:

"I got a plug and play big/4 engine (seller says it was a 12k build) from a member here for 5k
And it worked out great .

Much happier then a rebuild . And 3x as fast/powerful .

Had the 1.7 rebuilt while outta the car and considering going back to stock . Id let the big /4 go for 5500$(complete package ,plug and play)

and if you want to come see it run and ride in the car before buying , that would not be a problem.
Since im in monrovia let me know . Got the engine and had my fun with it , i think its got about 5k miles on it ."

This may be the best shot. Plug and play and you can sell your running Eng. to someone. and you can test it out.

Waiting for an engine can be a bitch.

Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Jump on this one...if it includes induction and exhaust headers it's a gift! (No affiliation)
+Quote Post
tmessenger
post Jan 18 2019, 09:49 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 22,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 16 2019, 11:38 AM) *

Your carbs that function with the 1.7 prob won't deliver the goods with a 2056.

I have Weber 40 IDF's on my Fat Performance 2056, they work really well with 32mm ventures. I can send you my jetting info if you go this route.

Tim
+Quote Post
913B
post Jan 20 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

My apologies in advance for the highjack.
Without bashing Scat too much. What is wrong with their 2056 motor for only $3600
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 24 2019, 09:38 AM
Post #40

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(913B @ Jan 20 2019, 01:09 PM) *

My apologies in advance for the highjack.
Without bashing Scat too much. What is wrong with their 2056 motor for only $3600
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The issue is that you can't buy the parts for that much, so you know that they are cutting corners or using bargain basement parts from China. In all likelihood they are only adding larger P&C to an otherwise stock engine, maybe doing some cleanup. You would hope that at least they are checking bearings, and balancing parts - but you don't know and if they can build an engine without splitting the case that's profit in the bank for them. I can all but promise you the engine will either be using only cleaned up heads or the AMC heads with shit hardware.

Its a dice roll. For a car that only gets driven a few miles a year, or sits idle in a garage for years at a time before the engine even goes in... that engine may last 5 or 10 years. Or... roll those dice.

Zach
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:57 PM