Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Commentary I Can't Find Again
Coloradocurt
post Jan 16 2019, 07:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,603
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Earlier today I was reading a very interesting post to a thread about the appreciation of market values of 914-6's (both originals as well as conversions) compared to the appreciation in market values (i.e., selling prices) of early, long-nose 911's modified to replicate specific, limited-production, high-performance models. It basically boiled down to suggesting that prospective 914 buyers' wallets weren't as thick as their 911 counterparts.
Anyone help me to locate that post??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Coloradocurt
post Jan 17 2019, 05:37 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,603
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Found it over on Pelican in a thread about the market value of 914-6 conversions. It reads:
"Some ramblings:

911 fan base has always been very vocal, especially with their wallets.
914 fan base has always been very vocal, but NOT with their wallets.

Building an RS clone allows someone to feel like they have a $250-500K car for a fraction of the money.

Building a stock -6 clone, does not bring the same cache.

Very few folks build a true 6 clone.. cause we all know a 110hp 914 still isn't very exciting.

The -6 conversion crowd was built up because at the time, it was cheaper than simply buying a 911. That same dynamic still holds. a -6 clone.. built 6.. modded 4.. will always be less than a 911. And now that values have skyrocketed for 914s, there is still a general heirarchy.

original stock 6 at the top. Rusted out 1.7 at the bottom.

A -6 conversion is valued in its execution. Color, Motor choice and Suspension, Brakes. Then trans. Engine cooling. Clutch/Trans upgrade. Interior. The conversion market is the more emotional market.

"I've always wanted a 2.7-3.0l 914".. or "I want a 3.6 even though they melt 901 clutches". I don't know that the market still appreciates a 2.2 or 2.4 conversion given the relatively modest HP boost. Again, condition, color etc can mix it up.

A -6 conversion designed to mimic a GT is like a 911 made into an RS clone. At least it has a "real" counterpart one might compare to. Everything else? well, comes down to buyer and seller."

Some interesting thoughts.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:45 AM